All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rajcic3
join:2014-11-13

rajcic3

[Networking] MoCA network issues

I have had some trouble installing the new FiOS Quantum router with my existing network.

I have 5 TV set top boxes and 3 Actiontec MI424WR routers (the red ones, sorry I don't have the revisions with me here at work). 2 of the routers are set up as MoCA bridges. I am replacing 1 of these, my main router, with the new Quantum router but I couldn't get the internet light to turn white, it would come on steady red.

I disconnected 1 of the MoCA bridges and got the Quantum router to work fine with the system and the other bridge. I now can't get the other MoCA bridge to connect. I've rebooted it a bunch and I can't even connect to it's address 192.168.1.2 via a direct ethernet connection. If I completely reset the router I can connect to it on 192.1681.1, but if I set it back up to be a MoCA and connect the cable it freaks out.

I am starting to think there is either a bandwidth limitation, I am maxing out the ability of my coax, or maybe there is just a weak signal.

How do I verify what is causing the issue?

Thanks!
Jack

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

What types of set top boxes do you have?
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2 to rajcic3

to rajcic3
I would double check your process when setting up the MoCA bridge and make sure you are disabling the MoCA Wan, and ethernet Wan. You might also check your new working router to see if anything is already using the IP address that you are trying to set up on the troubling bridge.
mperson
join:2008-11-01
Hemet, CA
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

mperson to rajcic3

to rajcic3
said by rajcic3:

I have had some trouble installing the new FiOS Quantum router with my existing network.

I have 5 TV set top boxes and 3 Actiontec MI424WR routers (the red ones, sorry I don't have the revisions with me here at work). 2 of the routers are set up as MoCA bridges. I am replacing 1 of these, my main router, with the new Quantum router but I couldn't get the internet light to turn white, it would come on steady red.

I disconnected 1 of the MoCA bridges and got the Quantum router to work fine with the system and the other bridge. I now can't get the other MoCA bridge to connect. I've rebooted it a bunch and I can't even connect to it's address 192.168.1.2 via a direct ethernet connection. If I completely reset the router I can connect to it on 192.1681.1, but if I set it back up to be a MoCA and connect the cable it freaks out.

I am starting to think there is either a bandwidth limitation, I am maxing out the ability of my coax, or maybe there is just a weak signal.

How do I verify what is causing the issue?

Thanks!
Jack

I had the same issue only it's because I was not setting the Actiontec up correctly and whenever I would connect it, it would take over the main ip assigned by Verizon and dhcp an ip to the quantum gateway router. After multiple tries the ONT would not provide an ip to the quantum gateway router and I had to call Verizon and have them release and renew the connection. I found the correct Actiontec settings and everything is up and running now.
rajcic3

rajcic3

I have the newer FiOS Quantum boxes. 1 main DVR and 4 of the satellite ones. I will get the exact model numbers tonight.

I have setup these MoCA connections a few times without trouble. The main router (the new Quantum router) is at 192.168.1.1, I have one upstairs at 192.168.1.3 and the one that is now giving me trouble is at 192.168.1.2.

I've followed these steps to setup the MoCA bridges:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

I've disabled the WAN (on 192.168.1.2) by clicking on My Network>Network Connections> Broadband Connection (coax)>disable

I've also disabled the DHCP server on this router too.

The main router is setup to start IP distribution at 192.168.1.11. There doesn't appear to be anything connected that has an IP address smaller than .11.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Is everything on your network MOCA 1.1 ( including the ONT ) Old ONTs I believe are limited to 7 devices

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

ONTs are on MOCA channel C4 which is completely separate from MOCA LAN which is on channel D1. There should be no issue with the number of devices on channel C4 (ONT and router only).
fcfc2

fcfc2 to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
He is swapping his older router for the new Quantum router, so no changes to the total number of clients...MoCA 1.0 would not seem to be the issue. Rev. D and below are MoCA 1.0 and Rev. E and above are MoCA 1.1. I still suggest a configuration issue.
rajcic3

rajcic3

I will try disconnecting the MoCA bridge that is working and see if that allows the non working one to function properly tonight.

I'll also try resetting the troubled router and go through all the steps again. But I am pretty sure I followed all the directions to a T.

Oh 1 thing I forgot to mention but I don't know if it makes a difference. I moved the location of the main router from upstairs to downstairs.

Here is also what sparked this. I originally bought one of the gray routers on ebay to add a 3rd MoCA bridge (4 total routers) to my system to help with my Sonos system. It hooked up fine but my speeds were really slow through the router, about 4-5Mbps vs 60+ on my other routers. I figured something was wrong with this one so I went to order a new red one and saw the Quantum ones and got that instead. I was hoping the WIFI coverage of the Quantum one would be better and allow me to simply replace my main router with this and keep the total number of routers at 3.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Check the Coax stats, should be 200mbs+, if lower the coax could be the issue, to many or poor splitters ect.
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

Betamax76

said by guppy_fish:

Check the Coax stats, should be 200mbs+, if lower the coax could be the issue, to many or poor splitters ect.

For MoCA 2.0 devices, transfer speeds should be in the low 600 Mb/s range.
rajcic3

rajcic3

How do I check the coax stats? I have a feeling that's the issue. I couldn't find a step by step for that.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I check MOCA stats?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to Betamax76

Premium Member

to Betamax76
All the equipment is MOCA 1.1 except the new router, so it will be running as well at ~220mbs
rajcic3

rajcic3

Click for full size
Here is what the MoCA stats page shows from the main router. When I try and check from the MoCA bridge there is nothing listed for connection speed.
rajcic3

rajcic3

Well it seems to be working now. I replaced the coax cable that was running to the troubled router and everything seems to be up and running smoothly now. Thank you guys for your help, I appreciate it.

Jack
rajcic3

rajcic3

Crap I spoke too soon. The internet light on the main router turned red and I lost connection. I shut off the third router and the light turned white and the network worked again. I just can't get this third one to work with the system. I will try a hard reset and rerun the MoCA steps again in the morning. Everyone is getting sick of me messing with it right now in the house....haha.
chef255
join:2004-07-15
united state

chef255 to rajcic3

to rajcic3
ONTs are MOCA 1.0, legacy stbs and BHRs are MOCA 1.1 and quantum gateway and VMS equipment are MOCA 2.0

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by chef255:

ONTs are MOCA 1.0

»www.mocalliance.org/indu ··· ucts.php

Early ONTs were 1.0.

Most current ONTs are 1.1
including the Alcatel O-211M-E, O-211M-G, I-211M-K.

The Alcatel G-821M is Moca 2.0.
said by chef255:

BHRs are MOCA 1.1

Actiontec up to and including rev. D are MOCA 1.0

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to rajcic3

MVM

to rajcic3
Sorry to hijack the thread but quick question ...

My ONT is MOCA 1.0. Everything else in my network is MOCA 1.1. Am I still constrained to 7 MOCA devices by the ONT?
fcfc2

fcfc2

You shouldn't be as pointed out by More Fiber.
rajcic3

rajcic3

Ok I've ran through these steps 3 times now:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

When I hook up the 3rd router it works for about 10 min. Then it freaks out and I can't get on the internet when connected to any of the routers, and the main router internet light turns red. When I disconnect the 3rd router and wait about 2 min, the main router internet light turns white and everything works.

I have 1X VMS1100
4X IPC1100's
1X FIOS-G1100
2X MI424-WR REV I

When I ran this with 3 MI424-WR's and no FIOS-G1100 it was running ok. I had 1 set top box that recently started acting up but they sent me a new one and it was running fine. I don't know what to try next.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Pull one of the IPC1100's offline ( removed the coax at the STB ) and see if your 3rd router will stay online. Its out there, but I'm wondering if the VMS1100 working with a MOCA1.0 WAN is forcing that onto the LAN ( can't run dual mode )
fcfc2

1 edit

fcfc2 to rajcic3

to rajcic3
Out of curiosity, if the troubling MoCa Bridge goes out again, try to connect it directly to a PC and see if you can access it at 192.168.1.1 and see if it brings up the Actiontec login screen. This is without resetting it...just to be clear.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

said by fcfc2:

Out of curiosity, if the troubling MoCa Bridge goes out again, try to connect it directly to a PC and see if you can access it at 192.168.1.1 and see if it brings up the Actiontec login screen. This is without resetting it...just to be clear.

This won't work if the bridge is disconnected from the main router, as the PC won't receive an IP address from the DHCP server of the main router.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by gadgetboyj:

the PC won't receive an IP address from the DHCP server of the main router

You can always configurate the PC with a static IP address in the 192.168.1.x subnet as a workaround.
fcfc2

fcfc2 to gadgetboyj

to gadgetboyj
said by gadgetboyj:

This won't work if the bridge is disconnected from the main router, as the PC won't receive an IP address from the DHCP server of the main router.

Yes gadgetboyj it should not work, meaning he should not be able to connect to it, but although it should not, I had one Rev F, somehow mysteriously reset all by itself and loose the bridge settings and started to fight with the main router. I would simply say this was a misconfiguration, but this unit was in service for over 3 weeks before any problems started. I have other units so I just replaced the mystery one and gave it no further thought, but now that this gent is having unusual issues and my suggestion would take very little effort, I still suggest it be tried.
rajcic3

rajcic3

Ok sorry, I got pulled out of this forum by a moderator and Verizon tried to help me directly. I hooked up the 3rd router and they ran some diagnostics. They said that the signal was fine to the boxes but that the physical MoCA signal wasn't strong enough.

I have tried to connect directly to the router after it kicks out but I can't connect to it on it's ip address (192.168.1.2) or on the default one 192.168.1.1. So I don't believe it is resetting on it's own. In fact it has it's own wifi name and that appears so I am pretty confident it isn't resetting itself.

How can I improve the physical MoCA signal? I've only used the Verizon supplied spliters and try and use as short of cable runs as possible.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

said by rajcic3:

They said that the signal was fine to the boxes but that the physical MoCA signal wasn't strong enough.

This statement contradict itself. If the signal is fine, its IS strong enough

Did you try the test by removing an STB to see if it works?
fcfc2

fcfc2 to rajcic3

to rajcic3
said by rajcic3:

How can I improve the physical MoCA signal? I've only used the Verizon supplied spliters and try and use as short of cable runs as possible.

I don't understand the tech advice? you were given but I would look for any loose cable connections and if you find any un-terminated coax ends, put a terminator on them. Assuming you are using a splitter nearby your boxes to add the Actiontec's, can you simply try switching the problem unit to a different location and see if your problem disappears or remains. Since you are using 2 actiontec's try switching their locations.