spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Katie8
@69.250.69.x

Katie8

Anon

[Price] Promotion Price Question

I called Comcast about continuing a promotion that's running out. They are offering me $165.56/month for "double play" which will include internet blast (105 down, 10 up) with HBO, Starz, Max and Encore. I currently have 2 HD cable boxes, 2 standard cable boxes and two DTA boxes. I own my own cable modem. They said the promotion is good for 1 year. It sounds like a good deal to me, but I wanted a 2nd opinion before I accepted.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

I have pretty much what you have except I have one HD box and a DVR on the TV side.
My internet is listed at 105/10, but am actually getting 124/24
I talked them into a two year deal at $164.04. So your price seems about right. I think that also has to do where you live.
I go for the two year because, I am sure the prices won't be going down in that time frame.

Katie8
@69.250.69.x

Katie8

Anon

Thanks for responding. I guess I'll take the deal. I'm glad they said it would be for 1 year rather than 6 months, so I don't have to worry about it for a while. Thanks again!

Robyn
@69.180.78.x

Robyn

Anon

I don't know where the OP lives. I'm in NE Florida. I just got the 12 month promo for the "HD Premier XF2" bundle for $159.99/month. Which includes "105" internet service - a bunch of "premium" TV stations (like HBO) - and a phone line with some "bells and whistles" (like caller ID). It includes one HD box/DVR. I have 3 other HD boxes (will pay $9.95/month each for those) - and 2 DTA boxes (will pay $1.99/month each for those). I also pay $8/month to rent the modem. So the total package is $190.55/month + taxes (and there were some one time charges to get everything set up). Guess the best package for someone is the one that suits one's needs at the lowest cost.

And to the OP - there isn't any service in my area for a "standard" box that makes sense. E.g., "digital" boxes cost the same as HD boxes. Also - I don't stay on top of these things - and only found out very recently that there are now HD DTA boxes. Which cost the same $1.99/month as the old SD ones. So I switched out my old DTA boxes for the new ones. FWIW - the new DTA boxes work fine. And all they're missing is the "cable guide" and associated features (like "favorites"). Depending on where TVs are and who's using them - it can make sense to downgrade from a $9.95/month "standard" HD box to a $1.99/month DTA HD box. Robyn

katie8
@69.250.69.x

katie8

Anon

Thanks Robyn for the information. Sound like the deal they offered isn't too bad. I think it would be close to $200.00 without the promotion. It's even cheaper that any deal I could get with FIOS. I might consider that HD DTA box you mentioned and get rid of a couple of a few cable boxes. If all I'm losing is the guide, makes sense to exchange them and save a few dollars. Despite all the complaints, it seems that Comcast is willing to work with the customers. I guess it depends on who you speak with at customer service. They also offered a deal with triple play, but I am very happy with the price and service I get with Vonage, so I think I'll skip that offer. Thanks again.

Robyn
@69.180.78.x

Robyn

Anon

Well - at a minimum - if you have SD DTA boxes - and HD DTA boxes work in your area - you should switch those over. FWIW - my local Comcast office never has any of the latest and greatest equipment available. It's always old crummy stuff that looks like many kids stuffed their breakfast food into it. So I always order on line/from a phone rep. Costs $9.95 shipping. Which is well worth it IMO.

I don't have FIOS in my area - so I can't compare. I can mention something "snarky" about FIOS/Verizon. The person who had one of my Comcast email addresses before me (that's another long story) has FIOS now. Verizon can't seem to change her email address properly. So today I got an email that she will be going over her data allowance with Verizon soon. Her problem - not mine.

I'm not familiar with Vonage - so I can't comment on how it compares with Comcast - either in terms of price or features. My general impression is that no matter who you're dealing with - bundling is often the best way to save money.

I - like you - have honestly not been that unhappy with Comcast. Considering what I read about other carriers/services and my own personal experiences with things like ATT DSL. Still - I'm paying a small fortune every month - and - for what I'm paying - don't expect to be unhappy. On the third hand - we're an older couple. With 6 TVs - 3 computers - wireless throughout the house - including streaming stuff on Internet TVs and Rokus. My first modem was like 300 bps and had an acoustic coupler. So - at my age - despite what I'm paying - there's still a certain "gee whiz" factor. Robyn