join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

Car batteries

Well, with winter now upon us the ~9 year old battery in my car (06 Mazda3) is on its last legs. Drops to about 11.3V with just the headlights on, and starting is more sluggish than usual.

The battery is a Panasonic, and seeing as how it survived 9 years, it would be nice to get another Panasonic, but, I'm not holding my hopes up of finding one locally.

Any recommendations for a good reliable brand of car batteries?

Pretty much the only places to buy batteries here, other than the car dealerships (Ford/Toyota/Chevy/GMC/Chrysler/Dodge) and local garages, are Canadian Tire, Napa, and Walmart.

I don't really know much about Napa's batteries. Any good? Motomaster (Canadian Tire) batteries I've heard mixed reviews, so probably best to avoid, and I'd be surprised if Walmart carries anything of worthwhile quality.

I haven't yet asked around at dealerships and garages to see what brands they carry.

And I think online purchase is probably out of the question unless free or flat rate shipping is offered, as shipping fees to my location are generally extremely expensive.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Batteries are only by 2 or 3 companies max - I know several BMW drivers that use Wal-Mart batteries with no issues for years.
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
·Verizon FiOS

fixrman to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
There are about 5 battery companies, so any of them will be fine. NAPA, AC Delco, Interstate, Johnson - take your pick. Just don't get the cheapest one. Match the size and the CCA rating. Where you get it is your choice. Just make sure if you are a shopper you compare apples to apples.

People may tell you anecdotal stories about batteries but I have used all of them with success.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
You got 9 years out of that battery and your thinking of switching brands?

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

He is having problems finding the Panasonics locally and shipping a big ole battery generally will not be cheap if he can find a place online selling Panasonic car batteries.

In searching online for 'buy panasonic car batteries' - the only lists are for Alibaba or Panasonic's Hong Kong site. Any other place listed are matching on the word battery.

The dealer will likely be the only place he will be able to get a Panasonic battery and the cost couple be quite high at a dealer. Even if they are great - there is still a price that just does not make it worthwhile.
fixrman
Premium Member
Hatboro, PA
·Verizon FiOS

fixrman to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
Forget about the 9 years, it is atypical. You probably used it at least two years longer than you should have, if not more. . You got lucky is all. Most people get between 3-5 years out of a battery, especially if it is mounted underhood. Yoy won't find a Panasonic battery.
TheMG
Premium Member
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 recommendation

TheMG

Premium Member

said by fixrman:

Forget about the 9 years, it is atypical.

For this part of the country, I don't think it is that atypical at all. I know of many other people that had batteries last in the 7-10 year range.

While the cold does put a higher demand on the batteries and their performance is decreased, it is actually HEAT that kills lead-acid batteries, and over here the average daily high temperature is below 20C (68F) for 11 out of 12 months.

That, and the Mazda3 has a battery cooling duct that brings fresh air from the front grille of the car to flow over the battery, keeping it relatively cool.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

This basically matches my Great White North impression.
TheMG
Premium Member
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by Cho Baka:

This basically matches my Great White North impression.

I guess I should also add that I am north of 60, so this is not representative of the rest of the country.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

I am nowhere near that far north, but I do know of a number of vehicles among family and friends that have made 10 years.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by Cho Baka:

I am nowhere near that far north, but I do know of a number of vehicles among family and friends that have made 10 years.

im in southern quebec and i really should change the 9 year old motorcraft thats in the ranger...
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Cho Baka

to Cho Baka
I got 11 years out of a factory Ford battery. I run Optimas now though.

»www.optimabatteries.com/ ··· products

what the
join:2014-06-28
usa

what the to mityfowl

to mityfowl
I think you misread his post, he said if he can't get another Panasonic what other good brand should he get!

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

3 edits

Anonymous_

Premium Member

Wal-mart batteries are junk

I had to replace one that was 11months old
shit died just after the warranty was over

it lost 20% of it's power over night from a full charge
obviously the car would Not start as the internal resistance of the battery was too high. even though it had a 80% charge

the voltage would drop to 10volts once under light load i.e attempting to start the
fuel prime and other stuff going on
the over-current protection system activates and prevents starting of the car.

as the voltage rises the current of power increases

current battery is 1y-1/2 old Still gets good starts out of it and starts the car on the first try . 13.5-13.7volts with the engine off
14.3-14.5v with the engine running.
fixrman
Premium Member
Hatboro, PA

fixrman to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
It is temperature extremes that cause battery failure.

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn to TheMG

to TheMG
I'm a fan of AutoZone's "Platinum" series, an AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery like an Optima except it actually lasts, where Optimas fell off a cliff years ago. They are well made and are truly "install it and forget it" with zero maintenance required.

A key benefit to using a sealed battery is that it cannot cause corrosion on the terminals. No acidic fumes = no damage!
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
Because one battery failed?

As mentioned above there are only a handful of manufactures and other companies just place their labels on those batteries. Walmart sells Ever Starts which are made by Johnson Control.

Chances are good that the battery you replaced the Walmart one with was also made by Johnson Controls.

Jim Gurd
Premium Member
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI

Jim Gurd to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
In your case I would say buy the battery with the highest CCA rating you can find in your size.

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper to TheMG

to TheMG
You want a Battery that is made by Johnson Controls which is one of the best manufactures around.

costco kirkland battery is made by johnson controls
Energizer from Walmart is made by johnson controls
and I think 1 or 2 other brands possibly Interstate but not sure.

Also make sure to get the highest CCA you can get that will fit in your car & make sure its higher rated then oem. But for the price/warranty Costco is the best.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to MooJohn

Premium Member

to MooJohn
said by MooJohn:

I'm a fan of AutoZone's "Platinum" series, an AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery like an Optima except it actually lasts, where Optimas fell off a cliff years ago. They are well made and are truly "install it and forget it" with zero maintenance required.

To me, the words "AutoZone" and "Well Made" are not normally found together...

I have an Optima Yellow Top in my Jeep, a Advance Auto Parts gold series (I think) battery in my VW, a Optima Red Top in my 99 Grand Voyager, and a plain old Wal-Mart battery in my 94 Caravan.

Time installed:

Jeep - 1 year
VW - 1 year
99 Voyager - 2 years
94 Caravan - 4 years

YMMV...

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn

Just like the other batteries at other stores, AutoZone doesn't make their own either. I couldn't quote who does, but I do know that OReilly sells the same battery in with their own label on it.

Can you really make a bad AGM battery? I've put Optimas in my cars since the 90s (I once did car stereo) and they got much worse in quality when they became more popular in the mid 2000s. One installed in a relative's car in 2005 is still going so they're not all bad, but I'll take the AutoZone brand from now on.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag to TheMG

to TheMG

I sold Interstate Batteries for over 25 years and would not buy anything else.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
Interstate batteries are very good as well as Motorcraft

bmilone2
join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ

bmilone2 to mattmag

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

I sold Interstate Batteries for over 25 years and would not buy anything else.

That's all I've used for quite a few years now. My mechanic feels the same way.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
One of the best batteries you can get is the Odyssey (the Military depends on these), but they are not inexpensive. The Sears Die-Hard Platinum is essentially a re-branded Odyssey and their price is a little lower.
chuckkk
join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA

chuckkk to TheMG

to TheMG
I've been using Interstate AGM batteries for my 99 Miata. It came new with a Panasonic battery that just barely passed the port check. I replaced that with a few weeks of car purchase, and the dealer paid the bill. The Miata is not driven daily, and has a small battery. As a result, I end up replacing the battery every few years. The batteries supplied with a new car have always failed rather catastrophically in my experience.
TheMG
Premium Member
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
said by daveinpoway:

One of the best batteries you can get is the Odyssey (the Military depends on these), but they are not inexpensive.

Yeah, that's what we use at work as starting batteries for the diesel backup generators. As you said, $$$, especially since we have to get them shipped in!
said by daveinpoway:

The Sears Die-Hard Platinum is essentially a re-branded Odyssey and their price is a little lower.

Unfortunately no Sears store here.

I guess I'll just try my luck with one of Napa's "higher-end" offerings.

shdesigns