Search similar:

uniqs

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

[HVAC] Need a new bathroom fan. Recommendations?

I need to get a new bathroom fan to help with ventilation of steam while taking a shower. There obviously was one in there before that the previous owner removed and patched over. I can see the square outline still and the switch is also still on the wall. It is just a small room with a toilet and large shower. The sink is outside of it. Any recommendations? I was kind of thinking about Panasonic.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion

MVM

[HVAC] Re: Need a new bathroom fan. Recommendations?

I like mine with the heater.. very nice when it is cold and climbing out of the shower.

Don't have a recommendation on brand.. sorry.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to ilikeme

MVM

to ilikeme
I bought a Panasonic. I am happy with it.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
My parent's new house came with these installed:

»www.broan.ca/products/pr ··· c282e2a9

I must say... these fans are AWESOME.

No problems at all venting out the steam, when I visit I do take long hot showers sometimes and not the slightest bit of condensation on the mirror.

Also evacuates the smell very quickly after someone takes a dump.

Best of all, they are very quiet, unlike the cheap generic builder-grade fans that can just about wake up the whole house. Pretty much all you hear is the sound of the air moving through the grille. No motor noise, rattling, or screaming fan blade sound.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC

The E to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
Panasonic all the way! I purchased mine 4 years ago and it's been a champ. Panasonic makes some of the quietest fans on the market, plus they're the most energy efficient.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to ilikeme

MVM

to ilikeme
Panasonic makes a fine fan. FWIW, if you buy a higher end (not their low-end crap) Broan / Nutone or Air King, they aren't bad either. I would avoid the Utilitech, Allen+Roth, Hampton Bay, etc.. crap brands.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
We installed two Panasonic fans while remodeling our master bathroom and really love them. They make several different models with different CFM ratings so you can size one appropriately for the size of your bathroom. They are also extremely quiet while in operation.

packersfan
@67.53.232.x

packersfan

Anon

Parents recently remodeled the bath and installed a Panasonic 'WhisperRecessed' over their shower, its almost silent and no 'rumble'/vibration like I've heard from the Broan recessed fixtures.

I installed a couple of 'WhisperValue' fans a few years ago, 50cfm and 80cfm, very happy with them. They're actually quieter than I was expecting since these are their 'low-end' models.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
I am not sure the brand of it, but the last one I installed had the night light feature. Very handy.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to ilikeme

to ilikeme
we typically use Broans, the B or C series. No point in going to an A. A quiet bathroom fan isn't necessarily a good thing, we try to make them not noisy, but noticeable.

We also tend to tie them into the light switch or put them on a push button timer. The ideal situation is a combination, Light switch activated with a time delay relay off.

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme

Re: [HVAC] Need a new bathroom fan. Recommendations?

Another vote for Panasonic. We just had one put in above the shower and it works great, not noisy at all. It has a built in light too that brightens up the shower area.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
I have a similar set as ilikeme See Profile and was looking into the same thing, except for my master bath does not have a cutout. In my case, I would take a shower and if even I leave the window open and my door open to my bedroom, it would still get a little steamy inside and mildew growing on the walls. I will definitely look into the Panasonic.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to ilikeme

to ilikeme
My Panasonic that I bought 3 years ago doesn't do that great of job. Gets good reviews on Amazon but I think instead of the ~100CFM model, I should have gotten the 150CFM model. I have a tiny bathroom too at around 60 square feet.

I shower with the door open and there's still plenty of steam and the mirror is fogged. If I shower with the door closed, the mirror stays fogged forever.

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired to ilikeme

to ilikeme
I used a fantech inline fan along with a 6" grille and integrated damper to vent my master bath. It's nearly silent and clears the room out very quickly. I have a timer instead of a wall switch. Use insulated ducting to reduce condensation buildup inside the duct if it's running through unconditioned attic space and you have low winter temps.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to prairiesky

Premium Member

to prairiesky

Re: [HVAC] Re: Need a new bathroom fan. Recommendations?

said by prairiesky:

we typically use Broans, the B or C series. No point in going to an A. A quiet bathroom fan isn't necessarily a good thing, we try to make them not noisy, but noticeable.

This. I had thought about replacing our fans with quieter ones but thought better of it. The ones we've got make a healthy but not overly obnoxious sound. If you don't want other people hearing the unpleasant things you've got going on in the bathroom, having a fan that makes some racket is a good thing!

Plus people are less likely to leave them running. That's less of an issue with the Leviton timer switch that we have controlling them though.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

I love those timer switches. I tell whoever goes in there to hit it twice for 20 minutes then it shuts off automatically. If I ever move out and rent this place out, I'll have one that's rigged to the light switch so it's always on when someone flips the light switch. That will prevent people who forget or don't care from causing any moisture damage.

scott2020
join:2008-07-20
MO

scott2020 to ilikeme

to ilikeme

Re: [HVAC] Need a new bathroom fan. Recommendations?

do you all have the fans venting outside? if so, how is that done? I found that mine just have something that looks like a dryer vent laying on top of the attic insulation.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Mine vents outside. I think that's how it's supposed to be done since if it vents into the attic, you could get a moisture problem there. I had a roofer install the vent to the roof.
prairiesky
canada

prairiesky to scott2020

to scott2020
Do not vent into the roof or through the roof.

The best situation is that you install a grille at high level, run a duct down the wall into the basement into a remote fan, like a fantech, i'm a big fan of the S&P, then out the sidewall, through the joist rim board. It keeps it quiet and accessible. It also doesn't break the ceiling vapour barrier or put moisture into the attic.

I have seen a lot of people who have run insulated vents through attics. It ends up with ice and mold.

The second best would be too bulkhead to an exterior wall. The problem is that if it's high, the moisture can go up through the soffit

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to scott2020

Premium Member

to scott2020
said by scott2020:

do you all have the fans venting outside? if so, how is that done? I found that mine just have something that looks like a dryer vent laying on top of the attic insulation.

The one in my hall bath does vent out to the roof. The one I am going to add in my master bath does not appear to have a vent line running to it, even though there obviously was one there before judging by the look of the ceiling and the existing switch, but I was planning to run it to the soffit probably.
ilikeme

ilikeme to prairiesky

Premium Member

to prairiesky
said by prairiesky:

The best situation is that you install a grille at high level, run a duct down the wall into the basement into a remote fan, like a fantech, i'm a big fan of the S&P, then out the sidewall, through the joist rim board. It keeps it quiet and accessible. It also doesn't break the ceiling vapour barrier or put moisture into the attic.

I'm in Southeast Texas. We don't have basements in houses here. It will have to go out through the roof or soffit somehow.
prairiesky
canada

prairiesky

said by ilikeme:

said by prairiesky:

I'm in Southeast Texas. We don't have basements in houses here. It will have to go out through the roof or soffit somehow.

then you might be in okay shape to run it through the attic. Way up here where it's frozen half the year this can cause real problems
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

every house in PA is vented through the roof, the current building books show this installation

we get it -15 F here and never have a problem with this

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to prairiesky

Mod

to prairiesky
The few hours a year it freezes where the OP lives won't be a problem.