onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Sony Vue

Hmm...if it can be done correctly and be reasonably priced, AND you can watch some sporting events like watching NFL on Sundays and Mondays at no extra cost (just like cable)...I think they may have a winner. But I truly don't think the sports can be done, since that's a live event.

»www.cnet.com/news/sony-t ··· able-tv/

Screen shots:
»www.theverge.com/2014/11 ··· eenshots

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

Looks interesting. The most important part will be pricing though. Sure, ABC and others aren't onboard yet, but if the response is positive in the beta, they may rethink their position.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
Could be cool. Maybe the lack of ESPN will keep prices down. Of course services like this highlight the need for an open internet...Vue wouldn't be very successful if, say, Comcast decided to throttle its traffic.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

Kilroy

MVM

said by TheBionic:

Comcast decided to throttle its traffic.

[Sarcasm]Comcast wouldn't do that, they are a completely wonderful company that only acts in the best interest of their customers.
[/Sarcasm]

They wouldn't throttle it, they would just let their interconnect saturate and blame it on Sony. It worked before with Netflix.

journeysquid
join:2014-08-01

journeysquid to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
The coverage I've seen sounds like it will cost as much as traditional cable TV and not offer much in the way of a la carte pricing, which is a deal-breaker for me.