PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

Roomba vs a Scooba?

So I know one vacuums and other scrubs but does anyone have experience with both units and can comment on the differences? Looking for it to do the chores and keep the place neater.

»www.irobot.com/For-the-H ··· g/Scooba

lugnut
@216.154.74.x

lugnut

Anon

I don't own either and have no plans to purchase one or the other.

That being said these things have always struck me as useless toys like segways.

Basically anyone who's ever vacuumed a carpet knows how much force and effort needs to be applied to deep clean the pile. There's simply no way a roomba has either the mass or the energy to effectively clean a typical family room or living room rug.

Unless you're a total neat freak with plastic wrap on your furniture and white deep pile wall to wall rugs in your living room and you never allow your rugs to become dirty in the first place all a roomba can accomplish is picking up the occasional spill of cookie crumbs or chips. Even then you'd have to wait until it actually located the spill before it actually gets around to cleaning it.

Honestly you'd be better off keeping a Black & Decker Dustbuster and a Swiffer Wetjet around and handy for occasional spills and deal with them properly as they happen instead of waiting for some spotty AI to get around to deal with it.

One last thing. I find your average household pet to often be a nuisance getting underfoot and tripping you up in the dark. I shudder to think how easy it would be to step on one of these useless gadgets when I'm headed to the fridge in the dark for a late night snack.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
They only work good on solid service floors.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
I used to have a Roomba - it was pretty useful. Basically, all I wanted it to do was to pick up 'fluff', which probably originated as cat hair and other dust. I'm not fond of spending my weekend vacuuming, so having a Roomba run 3 times a week helped keep the workload down. Sure, it's not a substitute for manual vacuuming, but it's a useful assistant.

Most of the house is hardwood floors with rugs. But it worked ok in my bedroom, which at the time had a sort of Berber-style carpet. In fact the Roomba was especially useful for the annoying under-the-bed cleaning.

These days I just pay someone to come in and vacuum every other week.

With regard to the 'tripping over in the dark' issue: well, you probably don't want to program your Roomba to run at night when you're trying to sleep, and as long as you get the self-parking model, it shouldn't be in the middle of the kitchen floor when you're looking for a snack.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

Caved in and got one at Bed Bath Beyond . 20% instant savings + 20% off coupon + 5% cash back via Chase Freedom = awesome!
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to PhoenixDown

to PhoenixDown
everyone around here that has one seems to love them

we have a couple of different sunken livingrooms tho, so they wouldn't work as efficiently for us (without manual intervention anyway)