spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jmmilner2
join:2011-05-17
Yorkville, IL
ARRIS SB6183

jmmilner2

[Bill] Comcast charges $8 monthly modem lease on purchased modems?

Just got a nice form letter from ComCrap stating:

"During a review of our billing records it was determined that you are not being charged for all the Comcast equipment that you are using with the services to which you currently subscribe."

They then agree not to bill me for the past months, give me a one-time credit for $8, and tell me I'll now be billed an additional $8 per month for "DOCSIS 3 MODEM LEASE".

Three calls to the billing department, each featuring a representative who first language wasn't English, resolved nothing. On the third call, I gave the agent the case number and asked "Where are we at with this?" His response was "Mexico."
A call to the technical support line clearly shows that the HFC MAC ID they are seeing matched that of the SB6121 modem I purchased from Radio Shack and and have always used since I established service.

Comcast insists I have one of their modems, serial number 7CSBS1D3CB6, but they can't give me the associated HFC MAC ID, or even the make and model. They have no proof they shipped me this modem, no signature that I picked it up, and deny using teleportation technology to materialize it within my house.

Attempting to point out that HFC MAC IDs are required by the standards to be globally unique (else two modems with the same Media Access Control ID on the same media segment won't work) worked with the tech side but since this is a billing issue, technical reality doesn't enter into it.

So, anybody been through this drill before? When I had Radio Shack reprint my receipt the clerk volunteered this happens and to keep the receipt as Comcast will repeat this game even if I get them fixed this time. Is this just another way to squeeze money out of customers, some employee trying to meet some quota that their pay or employment depends on, or what?

I've still got DSL modems in the basement and my over the air TV coverage is pretty good but I doubt Comcast would miss me if I dropped all their services. Besides, I'm sure they'd decide I didn't return all their equipment!
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

3 recommendations

clocks11

[Bill] Re: Comcast charges $8 monthly modem lease on purchased modems?

For how often Comcast does this, it would seem a lawsuit is justified. I don't understand why this company has such a problem with this.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

3 recommendations

camper

Premium Member

said by clocks11:

I don't understand why this company has such a problem with this.

If Comcast truly wanted to solve this problem, it would have been solved long ago.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx to jmmilner2

Premium Member

to jmmilner2
I have seen Comcast sell someone tech illiterate a triple play with digital voice and then put a data only modem in place.

They prey on those that have no idea what is going on with their bill/services.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

2 recommendations

FureverFurry to jmmilner2

Premium Member

to jmmilner2
said by jmmilner2:

So, anybody been through this drill before?

Yes, many of us - many times. That receipt is your ONLY proof and you will have to fax it in or take a copy to your local office. Make sure you have it in a safe place for the next century as you will need it again. And again. With Comcast, the customer is always wrong.

The last time they appropriated my modem it was only 6 months old and I'd not been charged for it. Had a tech visit who scanned my modem and voila ... the next month it was THEIRS. Silly me, didn't keep receipt.

I echo the other comments about why in the blinkety blank Comcast doesn't fix this. Oh wait -- why should they? That $8/month x how many customers x how many months = real nice revenue stream.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN

3 recommendations

train_wreck to jmmilner2

to jmmilner2
Wholeheartedly agree. It is egregious to the point of being criminal. They need to be prosecuted for this.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
No, Comcast has to provide a proof they own the modem. Provide a written/digital signature showing the customer accepted the equipment or stop annoying customers.
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jm101 to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
said by FureverFurry:

said by jmmilner2:

That $8/month x how many customers x how many months = real nice revenue stream.

And soon to be $10/month. It is amazing how Comcast gets away with ripping off customers.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

1 recommendation

Jim721 to jmmilner2

to jmmilner2

Re: [Bill] Comcast charges $8 monthly modem lease on purchased modems?

Not sure how good this method may or may not work but may be worth a try.

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Bi ··· /1845029
JohnShade
join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX

JohnShade to jmmilner2

to jmmilner2
the serial is the HFC
MAC

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

said by JohnShade:

the serial is the HFC
MAC

Not on my Zoom 5431J. It has both a S/N and an HF MAC.

But Comcast never asked me for the S/N when I activated it.
JohnShade
join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX

JohnShade

That's because our inventory system uses the HFC MAC as an S/N. The actual S/N is primarily used by Zoom and retail sale tracking

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

fonzbear2000 to jm101

Premium Member

to jm101

Re: [Bill] Re: Comcast charges $8 monthly modem lease on purchased modems?

said by jm101:

said by FureverFurry:

said by jmmilner2:

That $8/month x how many customers x how many months = real nice revenue stream.

And soon to be $10/month. It is amazing how Comcast gets away with ripping off customers.

Ya, I feel really ripped off every time I call them and tell them my bill is too high and they give me another year of promo pricing.
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

jm101

said by fonzbear2000:

Ya, I feel really ripped off every time I call them and tell them my bill is too high and they give me another year of promo pricing.

Well... there is an exception. I will say that Comcast is not always terrible with giving out another promo.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

3 recommendations

NetFixer to JohnShade

Premium Member

to JohnShade

said by JohnShade:

the serial is the HFC
MAC...

our inventory system uses the HFC MAC as an S/N. The actual S/N is primarily used by Zoom and retail sale tracking

If "our inventory system" refers to Comcast's inventory system, then you are as full of crap wrong as those who claim that Comcast's long term repetitive claims that customer owned equipment belongs to Comcast is just simple incompetence instead of criminal intent.

Please explain how the "LEASEDMODEM"* devices shown below (as shown at: »customer.comcast.com/MyS ··· Internet ) have both serial numbers and MAC addresses listed in Comcast's inventory system if Comcast does not use a modem's serial number -- and why when you call for modem activation if the "walled garden" does not work, the Comcast CSR will insist upon you supplying the serial number before activating/registering the modem:

* Despite Comcast's claim to the contrary, both of the "LEASEDMODEM" devices shown above are actually my property (and I have the sales invoices and original retail packaging to prove it).
NetFixer

1 recommendation

NetFixer to jm101

Premium Member

to jm101

said by jm101:

said by fonzbear2000:

Well... there is an exception. I will say that Comcast is not always terrible with giving out another promo.

That "exception" only points out an obvious fact that Comcast's standard prices are inflated -- if they really needed the standard prices for their services in order to stay in business, they could not afford to pass out the discount/promo prices to customers who complain.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

1 recommendation

Jim721

Standard prices. LOL of course there inflated just look at what comcast did in profits last year alone. This company is to big for it's britches,they are a bully and do what they want bottom line. The TW merger will make it worse.

Wanted to add. I will never find out if the merger makes it worse. Comcast is dumping my market and who knows what that means at this point.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx to jm101

Premium Member

to jm101
said by jm101:

Comcast is not always terrible with giving out another promo.

It depends who you get on the phone. More often than not your normal billing/CS rep will not give you a good promo at all. They tried to give me 3mbps internet + basic HDTV + REGIONAL phone at $99. I laughed at them, it was a horrible deal that made VZ DSL look good.

Called retentions, they give me everything as it was before (Performance 28mbps/XF Starter + X1/Unlimited Phone) at the same price of $107.

You should not have to call retentions so much, but with CC you do.
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

jm101

said by Zenit_IIfx:

said by jm101:

Comcast is not always terrible with giving out another promo.

It depends who you get on the phone. More often than not your normal billing/CS rep will not give you a good promo at all. They tried to give me 3mbps internet + basic HDTV + REGIONAL phone at $99. I laughed at them, it was a horrible deal that made VZ DSL look good.

Called retentions, they give me everything as it was before (Performance 28mbps/XF Starter + X1/Unlimited Phone) at the same price of $107.

You should not have to call retentions so much, but with CC you do.

Agreed. Billing recently tried to sell us on regular Digital Preferred with no Starz and HD for $119.99/month. They then added the HD for like another $10/month. Retentions offered us HD Digital Preferred and Starz for the same exact price. The retentions rep was even confused as to why they would offer us that.
jmmilner2
join:2011-05-17
Yorkville, IL
ARRIS SB6183

jmmilner2

I tried the trick of looking up my modem using the link provided and found that in my case, the HFC MAC and the Serial Number were identical, aside from the ":"s and capitalization, according to ComCrap. Of course we all know that hexadecimal notation only uses the first 6 letters of the alphabet, while the serial number on both the box and my modem start with the same "0L78T" as the two other SB6121, which means Comcast's own data is wrong (shocking!!!).

I guess I'll try the fax game and then pay a visit to the local office with the receipt, retail packaging, and physical modem in hand. For grins I'll also file a consumer complain with the state attorney general's office but I'm sure the politicians at the state level are as addicted to Comcast bribes (called "campaign contributions" here in Illinois) as the feds are, so I expect nothing from it.

On an oddly related note, while waiting for the doctor today I picked up an old copy of Time which had two feature articles, the first on Putin and the second on Brian Roberts, Comcast's CEO. I finished the article on Putin and started the one on Roberts before the nurse called me but was struck that both men and the organizations they control live in reality bubbles they dictate and are beyond the power of any nation to control. Time's view was Roberts is positioned to control the future of the internet in the US. They also pointed out the US was 32nd of 33 countries in terms of bandwidth/dollar, explaining why Comcast has so much money to buy positions like the head of the FCC. At least I know where the $8 of pure profit Comcast wants from me is being spent.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry to Anonymous88

Premium Member

to Anonymous88

said by Anonymous88:

No, Comcast has to provide a proof they own the modem.

I only wish that were true. When they decide to reappropriate a modem, it is up to the customer to prove otherwise. There really should be some national investigation but it's been going on for years. And getting worse. :-(

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

Wholeheartedly agree. It is egregious to the point of being criminal. They need to be prosecuted for this.

Yep, and the banks, and the oil companies, and..., good luck getting that to happen to with this "Do anything you want to businesses, we love you!" congress.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to jmmilner2

Premium Member

to jmmilner2

Never, ever buy a model of modem that Comcast leases. That said, if you do buy such a model, always keep the receipt. I had Comcast come at me twice over the period of 5 years claiming my modem was theirs. It took multiple trips to their service center, with them making a copy of my receipt each time, before they would finally stop billing me for my own modem.

dmj
join:2002-01-05
Hoffman Estates, IL

dmj to jmmilner2

to jmmilner2
I received this same form letter in the mail a few days ago. I called the number listed on the form and after working my way through the menu, finally got a live person. I explained to him that I have owned my own modem for at least 4 years so he had me read him the Serial Number and MAC Address from the modem at which point he says "Yes, the system shows that to be Comcast's modem." Being a little annoyed I said "I don't care what your system says, I have a receipt in my hand telling me it's mine."

I was then put on hold for about five minutes after which he stated that he changed it in Comcast's system to show that it's a customer owned modem.

I'll be keeping any eye on the monthly bills a bit closer from now on.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000

said by fonzbear2000:

every time I call them and tell them my bill is too high and they give me another year of promo pricing.

I've tried to get a lower/promo price several times. Have asked for retention, politely suggested I'd cancel service and switch to AT&T, etc. All I get is "we'll hate to see you leave but there is nothing we can offer you at this time". I've been a customer for over 9 years now, and except for their attempts to extort me for owning my own modem, I've never been late paying my bill.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 recommendations

NetFixer to RR Conductor

Premium Member

to RR Conductor
said by RR Conductor:

said by train_wreck:

Yep, and the banks, and the oil companies, and..., good luck getting that to happen to with this "Do anything you want to businesses, we love you!" congress.

It is more like "As long as you keep paying us contributing to our campaign funds, we love you!". There are no Red or Blue politicians; the only color they see is Green.
Jeremy W
join:2010-01-21

Jeremy W to jmmilner2

to jmmilner2

This thread reminded me to contact Comcast since I had an $8 Wireless Gateway Rental charge added to my account after my last yearly call to get back on promotional pricing. I did an online chat, and after confirming the serial number on my modem, the rep removed the charge and gave me a credit for the 3 months I had been charged for it. Guess I got lucky, although it really should have never happened in the first place.

Rowan Pope
@69.245.244.x

Rowan Pope to jmmilner2

Anon

to jmmilner2
said by jmmilner2:

Yes.

I'd highly recommend treating Comcast like the IRS and keep all receipts and records for at least 7 years.
If you return rental equipment, make sure you keep those receipts as well.
ramsaso
Premium Member
join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX
ARRIS SB6183

ramsaso to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

There are no Red or Blue politicians; the only color they see is Green.

Green= shareholders and those who are stupid what "Con Cast" is doing.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to jmmilner2

Premium Member

to jmmilner2

I had a similar issue of being charged the fee for like 6 months after I returned their modem (after mine had crapped out). They credited me the money back after a phone call, but still, it shouldn't have happened in the first place...