I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

1 edit

jvmorris

MVM

microSD Storage -- back in Lollipop?

I've edited this post to correct my mixing up Jellybean and KitKat (never mind Lollipop), which is probably why I prefer to refer to the various Android builds by number rather than name.

I don't know if this is all nailed down or not, but it appears that microSD storage will return in Lollipop after being blocked in KitKat.

Finally, Lollipop brings back full access to SD card storage for apps, which was taken away in KitKat. This means you can shuttle apps between internal an expansion storage, should you have a phone that supports microSD, and you can also use them to store media data from apps, like songs stored for offline use. To make up for the security window that potentially opens, Google has compensated by beefing up production around microSD as a route for malicious software.

»techcrunch.com/2014/11/1 ··· eview-2/

Naturally, this occurred on the same day that I gave up hope of ever seeing it again and bought a Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB.

Still, I may be okay -- from »developers.google.com/an ··· s/images it appears that the Lollipop image for the Nexus 7 WiFi version is also available.

We'll see how that works out.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Iowa

burner50

Premium Member

said by jvmorris:

I don't know if this is all nailed down or not, but it appears that microSD storage will return in Lollipop after being blocked in JellyBean.

Finally, Lollipop brings back full access to SD card storage for apps, which was taken away in KitKat. This means you can shuttle apps between internal an expansion storage, should you have a phone that supports microSD, and you can also use them to store media data from apps, like songs stored for offline use. To make up for the security window that potentially opens, Google has compensated by beefing up production around microSD as a route for malicious software.

»techcrunch.com/2014/11/1 ··· eview-2/

Naturally, this occurred on the same day that I gave up hope of ever seeing it again and bought a Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB.

Still, I may be okay -- from »developers.google.com/an ··· s/images it appears that the Lollipop image for the Nexus 7 WiFi version is also available.

We'll see how that works out.

Root it with NRT, then install StickMount, and get a SanDisk MicroUSB Memory stick.

At least, that's what I did...

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

said by burner50:

Root it with NRT, then install StickMount, and get a SanDisk MicroUSB Memory stick.

At least, that's what I did...

Not much purpose in rooting it for my purposes. What I had been concerned about was being able to read/write the SD card, . . . but there isn't one to reach on the Nexus 7. My major concern was using DSLR Dashboard to remotely capture RAW images from my DSLR and then process the RAW files using Photo Mate R2. Well, I can do that on the Nexus 7 with no problems, even after upgrading to Android 4.4 (the nefarious JellyBean).

Admittedly, other people might want to root for other reasons, but I'm offloading the files from the tablet as soon as I've captured and processed them and that works fine -- on the Nexus 7 with no SD card.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

4.4 is kit Kat not jellybean.

Job is 4.3

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Well, I've screwed that up in two separate threads by now.

When do I get my Lollipop?
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

I've got it on both my n5 an n7 so Ot should not be long

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Since I just got the Nexus 7 yesterday and it gleefully updated itself up to Android 4.4 immediately and today, I've now progressed up to getting 4.4.4 loaded, so I can wait.
bennor
Premium Member
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT

2 edits

bennor to jvmorris

Premium Member

to jvmorris
said by jvmorris:

What I had been concerned about was being able to read/write the SD card, . . . but there isn't one to reach on the Nexus 7.

While there isn't an internal SD or microSD card slot on the N7 what burner50 is talking about is using a USB OTG cable to connect to external storage with the N7. USB OTG cables can be bought for as little as a $1 or $2 via Amazon.

With the use of the USB OTG cable and rooting the N7 along with using Stickmount, I have no problems reading/writing to various USB devices like USB hard drives via the use of a powered USB hub and reading/writing to microSD and SD cards via the use of a USB card reader.

Its too bad Google had Asus remove the microSD card slot from the mainboard of the N7 (at least the first generation one), they also removed the rear facing camera and micro HDMI output all of which were shown on the Asus MeMo 370 that the N7 was derived from.

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Yes, I understand what burner is talking about; it just doesn't satisfy my requirement to concurrently capture data from a camera and then write it directly to an SD card -- a capability that was readily available in Jellybean on my slow, low-resolution Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Now, given an SD slot and a USB port or even two USB ports, this would not be a problem.

And don't forget that I am using the single USB port on the phone/tablet already to control the camera, activate the shutter release, and then instantly transfer the image to the Android device.

The only option that KitKat (4.4.x) allowed was to buy a device with sufficient built-in memory -- but that changes almost daily. Ten years ago, a RAW image file was 6MB, today it can be as much as 36 -- and it's still going up. On top of that, there's increasing use of video, time-lapse and hyper-lapse images, which implies hundreds or thousands of images.

And yes, we all know the vendors' answer -- well, go out and buy a newer device with more built-in rather than a bigger SD card. I suspect the whole impetus for removing read/write support for the removable SD card in KitKat was largely driven by the DMCA industry. And that's why it's so important that the capability to read/write to a removable SD card is being restored in Lollipop (if we can believe the press releases).
bennor
Premium Member
New Haven, CT

1 recommendation

bennor

Premium Member

Its not a perfect solution but you can use a USB hub and connect both the camera and the SD card reader to the N7 at the same time.

I've experimented with using a USB hub to connect a mouse, keyboard, two USB hard drives to my N7 all at the same time. Worked reasonably well even though its not an ideal setup to lug around in the field.

I now carry around a small Belkin USB hub just in case I need to access more than one USB device with my N7.

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

1 edit

jvmorris

MVM

Thanks. I'd wondered about that, especially since I also carry a small USB hub with me.

How much internal storage do you have on your Nexus 7? A few years ago, THE KID got an iPhone (I forget which model) and he was insistent on going for the full 64 GB model. (That cost him a pretty penny.) I didn't understand at the time. Now I do.

Some years ago, I had a portable image viewer/display device which had a humongous 200 MB (yes MB, not GB) for showing off pictures I'd taken to others (who were probably bored to death by me in the first place). Images had to be in JPEG format, of course, but the unit was physically about the same size as one of today's smartphones -- it just weighed one helluva lot more.
jvmorris

1 edit

jvmorris to bennor

MVM

to bennor
Another question for you or possibly burner50: Does anyone know if the Slimport HDMI adapter for the Nexus 7 is bidirectional? (I haven't gotten that yet.)

If it is, I wonder if it would work for connecting the camera to the Nexus and then controlling the camera in addition to just downloading live images?

Addendum The HDMI cable used would require a mini-HDMI connector on the camera end (for my D7000, at any rate) and a standard HDMI connector on the Android end to use with the standard Slimport adapter, I believe. I'm curious about this because of the lag in using a straight USB connector, but that may still exist even when using HDMI, since the Android end is some sort of glorified USB microport possibly operating at lower data transfer rates than a regular HDMI connection.
bennor
Premium Member
New Haven, CT

bennor to jvmorris

Premium Member

to jvmorris
said by jvmorris:

How much internal storage do you have on your Nexus 7?

I have a first gen 16GB N7.

As to the Slimport HDMI adapter, it may depend on what year of N7 you have. It appears it will work with the 2013 version. Unknown if its bidirectional. I had through that HDMI was for audio/video and not for controlling a camera or other HDMI enable device. Some MHL capable devices are able to be controlled (limited) but I don't know if the N7 is MHL compatible. My understanding of the Slimport HDMI is that it is a one way device, from the Nexus device to the TV.

One might be able to use a USB enabled camera and have the N7 control camera through some sort of an android app.

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

I have the Nexus 7 (2013), so I've got the HDMI support, a higher resolution display and a faster processor.

The specs say the Nexus 7 (2013) is MHL capable but the devil is always in the details. I suspect you're right, that the Slimport HDMI cable for the Nexus is unidirectional.

I'm using Helicon Remote and/or DSLR Dashboard for camera control and Photo Mate r2 for initial processing of RAW images on the Nexus. There are any number of other apps, including some like CamRanger that I think are only available for iOS devices. Almost all current Nikon and Canon DSLRs have the firmware to support remote camera control and that's what all of these apps use.
jvmorris

jvmorris

MVM

And, just to top everything off, I got the Android 5.0 (Lollipop) upgrade OTA around 6 PM.