PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

What are you doing for backups?

I am thinking of going with a MAC and getting either a time capsule or Synology + some type fo secondary cloud based service for redundancy

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

From the Mac, TM to a USB WD external 1TB HDD.

Separate from that, my media (music and movies/TV shows) is on a NAS and that backs-up nightly to another NAS.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

Why not TIM to the NAS?

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

1 recommendation

Nezmo

MVM

said by PhoenixDown:

Why not TIM to the NAS?

No real strong reason. I just have things segregated.

My Mac (mini) is really there just as an iTunes server. I had a spare USB HDD so used it. There's not much data on the mini.

I have three 3TB NAS drives. One is the primary storage for music and movies (it's also cloud-enabled so I can stream from it from anywhere). It backs up to another NAS nightly. That is the only use for those drives.

The third NAS is used to back-up daily from my PC (both it's internal HDD and another USB external that contains my photos and home videos).

I could configure it all a number of ways but this works for me.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff to PhoenixDown

MVM,

to PhoenixDown
Might be interested into this look at cloud backup solutions when dealing with Synology/NAS devices on a Mac (if you plan on storing anything other than the TM backups on the NAS):

»www.marco.org/2014/11/04 ··· -backups

I backup to a home server running Linux. That server then mirrors itself to another server I have at a different location. So.. very custom and convoluted setup

Some people prefer using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to make 1:1 clones of their Mac to USB drives as a backup. That way if your internal disk goes down, you can instantly be back up and running by just switching the startup disk to the USB drive. It's typically faster to restore from a clone than from TM.

I do both - Time Machine to my server and CCC to a USB disk every week or so. That way I have the file-level granularity with TM and instant replacement with the clone drive.

hairspring
join:2007-11-23
Oakville, ON

1 recommendation

hairspring to PhoenixDown

to PhoenixDown
Hourly Time Machine backup to a usb HDD. Monthly "data only" backups to another usb HDD I keep offsite.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

1 recommendation

The Dv8or to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
I back up my laptop to a Time Capsule at home, and a 1TB USB at work. I have an external drive that has my movies and stuff which I also back up to my 1TB USB. My Mac Mini desktop also has the same movies my external drive has, and that backs up to my Time Capsule. So, in the end, I have dual backups of just about anything of importance, with separate locations in case of a fire or something.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

1 recommendation

buckingham to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
Both Macs backup using TM to locally attached USB hard drives.
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
Time Machine to a home-grown NAS (Solaris + Netatalk) as primary solution. Has worked well, including two recovery-boot restores to replacement drives.

SpiderOak as secondary solution.

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip to PhoenixDown

to PhoenixDown
SuperDuper three days a week and TM hourly to a partitioned 2TB USB3 drive. I have an external HDD via USB that I back up each weekend and keep in a firebox. I also backup a documents folder called "Backups" to encrypted folders on both Google Drive and Dropbox. Redundant, I know.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
Time Machine for local and personal backups.

Crashplan for everything else.

Keep in mind that having only on-site backups is like having no backups for some eventualities--like burglary or natural disaster.

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
I have a 3 tiered approach:
1. Weekly bootable clone via SuperDuper! to USB 1TB HDD
2. Constant Crashplan cloud backup of all documents/data (not OS or apps)
3. Bootable clone via SuperDuper to USB HDD kept offsite, once every 3 months.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
Time machine to a USB HDD. Other documents and such I keep in Dropbox and/or Copy.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to PhoenixDown

to PhoenixDown
Time Machine to Synology NAS set up as RAID 1. Works for me with AFP.

Every so often (not often enough) I copy new photos and relatively vital files to BluRay discs or DVDs and put them in a safe deposit box. And I don't erase or re-use SD cards, I just store them.

Synology has options for redundant backup (and a lot of other services) but I probably won't get around to setting that up until after some personal nuclear holocaust.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Might be interested into this look at cloud backup solutions when dealing with Synology/NAS devices on a Mac (if you plan on storing anything other than the TM backups on the NAS):

»www.marco.org/2014/11/04 ··· -backups

I backup to a home server running Linux. That server then mirrors itself to another server I have at a different location. So.. very custom and convoluted setup

Some people prefer using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to make 1:1 clones of their Mac to USB drives as a backup. That way if your internal disk goes down, you can instantly be back up and running by just switching the startup disk to the USB drive. It's typically faster to restore from a clone than from TM.

I do both - Time Machine to my server and CCC to a USB disk every week or so. That way I have the file-level granularity with TM and instant replacement with the clone drive.

I agree with this setup. I have TM to an OS X Server, I also use chronosync to to sync my iMac and rMBP (using the OS X Server as an intermediary - so this is a quasi backup too as it does some versioning and short-term archival of deleted files), and then OS X Server syncs to CrashPlan for offsite backup

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Majestik to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
Nothing. I keep things pretty simple. Don't think I have anything worth backing up.
Important papers are in my safe and some copies with attorney.

dean corso
human.exe
join:2007-09-07

2 recommendations

dean corso to PhoenixDown

to PhoenixDown
NSA backs up my data for me. Just don't know if I can retrieve it myself.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to PhoenixDown

to PhoenixDown
iMac: Time Machine to a WD MyBook Thunderbolt Duo

Other data is stored on an Acer H340 running Windows Server 2012 R2. It backs up to a D-Link DNS-323 at night, and I also back it up to large USB HDs weekly (offsite backup that I keep at work).
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
Personally I've had good luck with crash plan. I have a file server in the basement that doubles as my media server and my local crashplan backup and the files also go to the cloud.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
External HD connected to my Airport Extreme.

Sebehk
USN Retired, 1993-2013, yvan eht nioj
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO

Sebehk to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
Multiple ChronoSync backup plans going to an OWC Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 external RAID system via USB. System set at RAID level 5.

--->Robert
8-)

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
Nothing. OS X isn't my primary system; everything is either done online or any photos sync'd to are being backed up via my Windows machine... If it comes to it, I'd probably go with Carbonite (online backups) for $5/mo (paid annually).
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby to PhoenixDown

to PhoenixDown
Run Crashplan on the Synology and backup onsite and offsite.

Cody0
Bob Vance, VR
Premium Member
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA

Cody0 to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
I put my laptop in a stand at home, so I just hook up an external HD every 10 days when time machine reminds me. The majority of things on my computer that are being updated on a daily basis are on my dropbox account, so every 10 days is sufficient for me right now. So far so good!