All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
armed
join:2000-10-20

armed

Slow loading Yahoo news sites

I am having a rather new problem with slow loading news articles from Yahoo news on my Internet Explorer. I use MyYahoo for my news access and have it set up for the local and national/international news links I find interesting. Lately the news articles served up by Yahoo news are suffering long load times and even after they are loaded they remain jerky when scrolling. Local news links and the NY Times link that are not Yahoo news articles but accessed through MyYahoo do not suffer the problem.

I am running IE 11 and Windows 7. I have 30 Mbps download and my computer is an I7 with 16 gigs of Ram.

Interestingly I do not suffer these slow downs using Firefox.

Here is an example link: »news.yahoo.com/parents-s ··· 490.html
It takes about 20-30 seconds to load and then it is hard to scroll and sometimes it freezes.

I have scanned the computer with Malwarebytes and my anti Virus program (ME Security Essentials) and they come up clean. I do not have these problems on any other site.

Is there some setting in IE 11 I can change that might improve or eliminate this problem?

I do not really want to switch to Firefox as my default browser.
Thanks for any help
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

Have you tried to disable scripts buddy??

Page is quite script heavy..... When I go there WITH SCRIPTS DISABLED,the page loads instantly... (No delay)
armed

armed

First thanks for your reply!

Yea disabling scripts fixes the problem for MyYahoo news articles but unfortunately messes up my web based email site and my Pogo Games site. I use both sites many times daily.

Interestingly Firefox does not have scripts disabled and MyYahoo news articles work fine along with my web mail and Pogo site.

Hopefully there is a solution for IE 11 that doesn't break so many other sites I use daily.

Again thank you Dude11.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to armed

to armed
Your more than welcome my friend

Yes I almost always have scripts disabled...... (A couple sites I goto now and then DO NEED THEM so i enable them then but other than that i dont)

You can add the sites you want scripts on TO YOUR TRUSTED ZONE and then you can keep them disabled all the time if ya want to.. (Sites in your trusted zone will have scripts enabled)

Im glad that works for ya!!

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to armed

Premium Member

to armed

Re: Slow loading Yahoo news sites

Saw Yahoo running slowly on the public network at work this afternoon. That has 100/100Mb throughput and loads pages [or anything else] instantaneously even when we have a lot of users. Public machines are Core i3 and i5 Dell 3010s with at least 4GB RAM running W7.

Buggy scripts would explain it. Maybe it doesn't like IE?

If I see it tomorrow, I'll try enabling compatibility mode in IE or switching browsers and we'll see if that fixes it. If not, Yahoo need to debug their scripts.
armed

armed

Thanks for checking in on it!

I have noticed that MYYahoo has over the last year or so has begun to show problems in their interface. Favorite Teams doesn't work and hasn't for some time. The movie theater set up is now buggy as hell. Now the Yahoo newsfeeds are not loading in IE smoothly (at least for me).

I went searching for a substitute and found MyMSN. I got it set up and it was working fine and then after about two months MYMSN was shut down and the flexible content set up was done away with. I was forced back to MYYahoo. :-(

I really like the concept. You can add local news feeds and select from many different national and international news link, have local weather, have favorite teams tracked, set up local theaters for movie schedules and more. It makes a great home page.... when it works.
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem to armed

Premium Member

to armed
we are noticing slow load times with MyYahoo as well - even in Firefox.

Not seeing how to disable scripts in Firefox/Tools/Options however. How do we do that in today's versions of Firefox?

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

DrStrange

Premium Member

Needs to be done in about:config. The option in 'options' is gone.

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl
join:2000-01-19
Blue Springs, MO

2 recommendations

randavis to Gem

to Gem
You could use the NoScript add on in Firefox. That will stop scripts from running on page load and if you need a script to run, you can either allow it temporarily or permanently.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to DrStrange

to DrStrange

Wow its gone??????????

I cant believe they would remove that option!!! (Making things harder FOR NO REASON)