uniqs
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

1 edit

fartness (banned)

Re: [Electrical] Outlet question

Because of code, we discussed we will wait until my breaker is changed to add outlets. I had some two prongs changed to three prong outlets and some other minor electrical work done. I forgot to get one done on my enclosed porch that is dry. Does that need a GFCI or is a standard 3 prong outlet sufficient? Right now it's just a standard two prong outlet. I usually plug an extension cord into it that I run outside for landscaping (ie. leaf blower, hedge trimmers, etc), then I unplug it when I'm done.

EDIT: Also are the old breaker boxes worth any scrap metal? I will have some other things to scrap when I get my kitchen done.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya

Re: [Electrical] Re: Outlet question

said by nunya:you don't have that magical utility company where the linemen ride unicorns that fart rainbows and fix everything up to the kitchen sink.
[/bquote :

Nothing magical about a company that doesn't try to escape their primary and only function of supplying electrical power to customers. A reasonable person would conclude that this would be the point where the Electrical Utility meters the amount of electricity the customer uses which would be the meter mounted on a meter base attached to the home or business.

Just because regulators in some states don't protect customers from the abuse of utilities doesn't make that practice universal across the entire country. To infer that is really an attack on states that don't allow it.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to fartness

Mod

to fartness

said by fartness:

forgot to get one done on my enclosed porch that is dry. Does that need a GFCI or is a standard 3 prong outlet sufficient? ... I usually plug an extension cord into it that I run outside for landscaping (ie. leaf blower, hedge trimmers, etc)

Change the two prong on your enclosed porch to GFCI. I believe it may be required by code but regardless due to your usage you should have a GFCI on it.

Pher9999
join:2011-07-06
Saucier, MS

Pher9999 to lawsoncl

to lawsoncl

Re: [Electrical] Re: Outlet question

It wasn't enforced here, and we had Aluminum service cable ran across the basement for the Dryer. I've since replaced it with Copper.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Click for full size
Click for full size
Rather than start another similar thread, I have these flood lights that are 150W each. Can I use them in my garage in lieu of a standard size 100W light bulb? They were in my security light but I got a new LED security light.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

said by fartness:

Can I use them in my garage in lieu of a standard size 100W light bulb?

Is the socket you want to use rated for a 150 Watt Bulb? Otherwise apply power and adjust for minimum smoke.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Not sure, are they marked? I just bought them at Home Depot a couple months ago. It was the only ones they sold. Also has an outlet on it too. Pull string variety.
»m.homedepot.com/p/Levito ··· 0357030/
byoders
join:2006-10-30
Hiram, GA

byoders to fartness

to fartness
Google says:

Leviton R60-09726-00C

Terminals accept up to No. 12 conductors
Fits either 3-1/4" or 4" standard outlet boxes
Complete with 3' pull cord and mounting screws
Medium base
Porcelain
UL listed
250 watt, 125 volt lampholder
15 amp, 125 volt outlet
Grounded outlet
Item Package Quantity: 1
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

So I can use 150W, correct?

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Yes, just be aware you will have a very narrow area of illumination since those are basically spot lights.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to fartness

to fartness
said by fartness:

Not sure, are they marked? I just bought them at Home Depot a couple months ago. It was the only ones they sold. Also has an outlet on it too. Pull string variety.
»m.homedepot.com/p/Levito ··· 0357030/

lol did you pull a permit to install them?

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Shouldn't be necessary depending on the location, I've only heard that requirement come from New England.