spc
Search similar:

uniqs

carlyn
@107.214.199.x

carlyn

Anon

giving out facebook password

My sister's boyfriend has a program on his computer (she has learned yesterday) that copies all text entered and puts it in a file. They are in the middle of a bad break up. He seen on the computer that she changed her password to facebook and accessed it. Then he gave the password to a co-worker of hers and that person logged into her facebook and read through all of my sisters messages. He also deleted or blocked friends of hers from her page so she couldn't talk to them. My sister can't change the password now because the only way is through the computer at her house with the program on it. Is this illegal for him AND the person who he told the password to who also logged in?
BoulderHill1
join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL

1 recommendation

BoulderHill1

Illegal? Most likely not, but may depend on the laws in your jurisdiction.

Immoral and unethical? Most definitely!

The password breach occurred on the computer owned by the boyfriend. It is within his right to install the type of program you are referring to. It is a keylogger. It records every keystroke made on that computer and saves it as a text file.

Your sister used his computer to access her facebook page and while doing so changed her password.

Later the boyfriend reviewed the keylogger file and discovered the password change.

He used this information to log in to your sisters facebook page and then subsequently made changes to her status and also changed the password again.

Basically she is locked out of her own facebook account.

She does not need access to the boyfriends computer that has the keylogger on it. She just needs to know the password that the boyfriend changed it to.

With that she will again be able to fully log in to her account (from her own computer) and then promptly change the password again thereby locking him out of the account. She then will be able to restore blocked friends or other settings as she wishes.

Good luck getting the password out of him.

Perhaps calling the police and explaining the situation. If they are helpful they may make an intimidating visit to him asking for the password.

Or perhaps a well worded (somewhat threatening) letter from an attorney will cause him to see the light.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to carlyn

Premium Member

to carlyn
Has he posted anything as her?

Impersonating someone else is illegal, especially in a damaging way.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to carlyn

Premium Member

to carlyn
Illegal? NOPE.
Immoral? Perhaps.
Sister stupid? ......

journeysquid
join:2014-08-01

1 recommendation

journeysquid to carlyn

to carlyn
»www.facebook.com/recover ··· initiate

Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

Sister stupid? ......

No reason to think that. The guy sounds like a dick who can't handle breakups without immature crap like that.

what the
join:2014-06-28
usa

what the to carlyn

to carlyn
Only thing I can think of that she can do to get back at him is to report the hacking to Facebook and hope Facebook deletes his account.
And your sister is lucky she found out now what a pinhead he is!
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to carlyn

Premium Member

to carlyn
If she can get onto the computer again maybe he has not deleted the text file from the PW change. Or she could try and get it from her coworker.

Actually just access to his computer might gain fb access. He might know how to use ankeylogger but that is about as easy as a Mr. Coffee. He might still be dumb enough to have saved user name and password in the browser.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to carlyn

Premium Member

to carlyn
This proves that when there is a difficult relationship breakup these days, it's no longer good enough to change the locks on the doors.

You have to change all passwords, too, right away....

And do it from a different computer if you haven't yet checked your own for keyloggers.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to carlyn

Premium Member

to carlyn
This reminds me of the story I was told about the couple who had a divorcee and it went from bad to worse. He said that she got the house and car and kids but he had the Thermostat. LOL
mocycler
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22

2 recommendations

mocycler to carlyn

Premium Member

to carlyn
I don't think it's illegal. Even if it was, what do you expect the police or the courts to do? Prosecute the ex? They have other things going on than to get involved with an asshole boyfriend issue.

You can report it as a hacked account to Facebook and they can send a password reset to the email address on file...assuming that isn't hacked too.

This is why I don't take Facebook too seriously. If you're so wrapped up in social media that your life is chaos when something like this happens, then maybe you should think about getting off line and making some real friends in the real world. It's kind of sad and pathetic.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

3 edits

Kilroy to carlyn

MVM

to carlyn
Odds are this would be prosecuted under computer hacking. Depending on how hard your sister wants to press it. This isn't something you play around with in this day and age. Loss of funds and freedom just doesn't make it worth it.

But, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. If your sister has done anything the boyfriend can have her charged with this becomes a battle of mutually assured destruction.

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

Chubbzie to carlyn

to carlyn
said by carlyn :

He seen on the computer that she changed her password to facebook and accessed it.

My question is, how is he accessing the keylogger logs? Was he physically at the computer or was he accessing it remotely?

Anyway, why not just create a new account that he doesn't have access to?

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

Illegal? NOPE.

How so? While the key logger is legal as it is his computer, he cannot use her password and log into her account; I'm pretty sure him logging in to Facebook's servers using her account is illegal under the CFAA.
BoulderHill1
Montgomery, IL

BoulderHill1 to Chubbzie

to Chubbzie
The keylogger logs would be accessed on the computer where the key logger is installed. Many keylogger programs can also send the log file to an email address on a preset interval.
BoulderHill1

BoulderHill1 to mackey

to mackey
The CFAA only really covers computers that are protected by the CFAA. namely computers used for financial reasons by the federal government.

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

Chubbzie to BoulderHill1

to BoulderHill1
Yes, quite familiar with keylogger capabilities. What I'm referring to is this statement:
said by carlyn :

My sister can't change the password now because the only way is through the computer at her house with the program on it.

Evidently the boyfriend's computer is still with her (which makes no sense), so when did he read the log, before the breakup or after? If afterwards, was he physically at the computer reading the log or accessing it remotely while still in her possession?
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

said by Chubbzie:

Evidently the boyfriend's computer is still with her (which makes no sense),

I think what you said makes no sense. Sorry. My assumption from the original statement would be that "the computer at her house" refers to the computer at the house where she is no longer staying since the breakup. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that is how these things commonly go.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

He explicitly says at her house. Thus it's at her house.
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

said by Edrick:

He explicitly says at her house.

Exactly. I don't think the ownership of the house is important to this discussion, but rather where she's staying now and if the computer is there or back at the house with the ex-partner. I would assume it is back at the house since that would make sense out of the original post.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

And this is all based on a single anon post, and it was from someone who never returned....
BoulderHill1
Montgomery, IL

BoulderHill1 to Ole Juul

to Ole Juul
Well we all may be assuming too much.

The OP does not state that the sister is no longer staying at the boyfriends house
said by Ole Juul:

at the house where she is no longer staying

I would make this assumption also, but it is not specified in the OP.

Personally I assumed when I read...
said by carlyn :

because the only way is through the computer at her house with the program on it

Was that it was a mistake by the OP and should have read HIS house.

either way as you said, house ownership isn't really the issue, but rather use of the computer with the keylogger is.