spc
Search similar:

uniqs
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

What did you last repair?

I last fixed 1 of my cassettes I got from salvation army....... Seems like they let it get wet and then that thing inside got sticky and the tape wouldnt play well as a result... (not well anyway)

I cracked the case open and removed that crap and put it back together and she plays fine... (Madonna's first album)

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

I repaired 30-pin connector on IPad cable. Duct Tape did the trick.

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie to 19579823

to 19579823
Frigidaire refrigerator, disassemble & replace fan/compressor & a few other minor pieces.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
Oh being an 80's fan you should like this, I am fixing an 80's digital watch.

I have fixed the simple stuff, bent spring pins, rather grotty looking and such but am stuck. One of the button tabs had been torn from the PCB, while gluing it back on will reattach it doing so will not fix the broken via that powers it, I have been mulling over how to repair it and make it electrically functional.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

I love those watches,YES!!!!!!!!

I much prefer a digitial watch/clock over an analogue..... (This is where digital is good (Not messing up good video/audio))

Please let us know Thane how your progress is!!

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler

join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat

Jason to 19579823

to 19579823

Re: What did you last repair?

Input CJC thermocouple on a Eurotherm 2704 3-loop PID controller.

lugnut
@216.154.74.x

lugnut to 19579823

Anon

to 19579823
Not a repair per se but last night I replaced one of three fixtures in my basement with LED Flush mounts. Tonight I plan to replace the other two. MY GOD IS THAT SUCKER EVER BRIGHT!!!

»www.amazon.com/Superior- ··· 0IO0FHPQ

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Samson-Dominion Mixmaster
I repaired my mother's 1965 Samson-Dominion Mixmaster last month. Was a wedding gift to my parents. Power cord had seen better days and had to replace it, soldering was required. Also cleaned it up, looks almost new and works great.

Back in the good old days, thing were made to last.

lugnut
@216.154.74.x

lugnut to 19579823

Anon

to 19579823
Got the last two LED fixtures installed tonight. Now that my basement is brilliantly illuminated I can see it needs a paint job...

Sigh... Sometimes it just doesn't pay to get out of bed....
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

1 edit

19579823 (banned) to miataman

to miataman

I fixed a tape I got from salvation army today

It didnt play well and when i opened the case to examine why,it was quite obvious!!!

THERE ARE NO ROLLERS IN IT!!!!!! -- I dont think I have ever seen something so stupid....... So I just transferred the spools to another tape case and she plays ok.. (A few more tweaks maybe)

KOOL AND THE GANG - Something special
dmagerl
Premium Member
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL

dmagerl to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter

Re: What did you last repair?

said by Thane_Bitter:

will not fix the broken via that powers it

I assume you're talking about a very tiny plated through hole?

I find you can take a piece of braided coax and unbraid it. Then use one of strands of braid to make the connection from front to back. You have to be good a soldering though.
OldCableGuy (banned)
join:2014-12-19

OldCableGuy (banned) to 19579823

to 19579823
Programmable light timer, display slowly faded out and now was dead. Assumed maybe it had a watch cell, took it apart, was right. Old battery was soldered in, but cleaned it up and a new watch cell is wedged in.

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
I just repaired a condensate pump on my heat pump. By repaired I mean replaced. The old one looked like it was analog and made in the 80's. Real cheap... I replaced it with a new digital one and it works perfectly.

CompUser
join:2001-11-07
Ada, OH

CompUser to 19579823

to 19579823
I replaced the light switch in my wife's office/storage/stuff room. I also installed two new compact fluorescents. I know, exciting stuff there!

shimonmor
Premium Member
join:2000-12-30
Sedro Woolley, WA

2 recommendations

shimonmor to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
Click for full size
Click for full size
Biggest problems with electronics these days are cheap capacitors that the Chinese use. These are photos from a Philips DVD player that would not turn on anymore. Found a blown cap on the power supply board. Replaced it with a slightly larger one from a reputable company and it's been working fine.

I've done similar repairs to computers and all sorts of electronic equipment for myself and friends. Sometimes it's easy to spot the blown cap and sometimes it's a little more subtle. The slight bulge at the top is a good indicator.

It's a shame that so much good equipment ends up in the trash heap due to inferior caps.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Congrats for not just giving up on her!!!!!

Good job my friend -- Makes one feel good doesnt it?? (Being able to fix something)

shortckt
Watchen Das Blinken Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-12-05
Tenant Hell

shortckt to OldCableGuy

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy

What did you last repair?

said by OldCableGuy:

Programmable light timer, display slowly faded out and now was dead. Assumed maybe it had a watch cell, took it apart, was right. Old battery was soldered in, but cleaned it up and a new watch cell is wedged in.

Need to watch out for those backup lithium coin cells that are soldered in, sometimes they are a rechargeable lithium kept charged by the circuit they are in. SII (Seiko Instrument Inc.) makes a series of those, Manganese-Silicon Lithium-ion type.

Gabrio
join:2014-08-15

Gabrio to 19579823

to 19579823
I'm so lazy to repair the broken at the most of time!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter to dmagerl

Premium Member

to dmagerl
It is. Was thinking about that but I also have magnet wire which off a thinner gauge which might work, I will have to drill out the via.

My biggest issue is getting the metal tab (its part of one of the push button switches as a non-movable contact) to adhere to the watch's PCB, the epoxy I used either didn't bond correctly or doesn't have the strength it claims.

Continuing on with the thread I fixed a small PSU for a KVM, the cause was bad caps, fortunately in their defective state nothing was damaged so it was just a matter of swapping them out.

CompUser
join:2001-11-07
Ada, OH

CompUser to Gabrio

to Gabrio
dude...what? lol

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
Seems everything I get needs fixing.
Had to fix a microphone plug on a Midland 79-265
Then replace some caps on a President 2510 to get it to transmit.

Had to replace the thermal paste on my 280X I got back from rma cause they used some white garbage, maybe mayonnaise it sucked so bad.

My wifes 8800gtx decided to die the other day so had to get the gpu heated to melt the solder and get that working.

Had to tear all the trim and panels off the pocket door for the bathroom cause the wheel bracket screws fell out.

it never ends

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly

Premium Member

Did you get the 8800GTX working? I have an eVGA 8800GTX in case...

I just fixed a leaky whole house humidifier. Turns out the nozzle on it had completely dissolved, leaving a nice water mess in the downstairs. This weekend I plan on replacing the main system transformer on the heat pump. The old one is buzzing too loudly.

SunnyDays
join:2015-03-24
Ireland

SunnyDays to 19579823

to 19579823
I just repaired my Google Nexus 7 , can't believe i actually managed to do it
hokie21
join:2003-06-14
Lake Zurich, IL

hokie21 to 19579823

to 19579823
Replaced the right shoulder button on my kid's Nintendo 3DS this afternoon. It had many tiny screws (phillips #000) that were very tight.

lugnut
@dyn.xx.ca

lugnut

Anon

Fixed a dead Middle C key on my M-Audio Oxygen 49 MIDI controller tonight. Simply a matter of disassembling the keybed and cleaning the contacts with isopropyl alcohol. Still took an hour and a half with all those bloody tiny screws though.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· aBxUX4h8

Crash Gordon
Zero Tolerance For Stupid
join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

Crash Gordon to 19579823

to 19579823
My Logitech MX500 mouse. Scroll wheel didn't want to do it's job (in either direction). Once the dust bunnies were evicted from the wheel area and a minor adjustment to the arm that lets you know you moved the wheel, good as new and not as loud either. Maybe I can get another 10 years out of it.

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler

join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat

2 recommendations

Jason to 19579823

to 19579823
I just repaired a hydrogen furnace, by changing out the faulty (20+ year old) Honeywell PLC with a modern Mitsubishi FX3(u) PLC, and writing the logic for it.

...Erm, granted, this is what I'm getting paid to do, but.. Ahem.. So, there's that!

Got the customer up, and running (and profitable) again, so.. Feels good..
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

I will have to drill out the via.

It's not a multilayer board right? Just front and back layers?

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Correct.

Unfortunately additional examination has found more problems with the watch, one or more of the leads that connect the main IC to the PCB is damaged. I think this sort of thing would normally be covered with a blob of epoxy however this manufacture opted for a hard plastic cover which was sandwiched between the PCB and bottom side of the LCD. When the PCB was removed from the LCD assembly this part shifted and mucked up the leads. Even looking at it with a good loupe I am not sure if they are just shorted or some have been broken.

So far its been a tiny little Pandora's box of trouble.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to SunnyDays

to SunnyDays
said by SunnyDays:

I just repaired my Google Nexus 7 , can't believe i actually managed to do it

What was the nature of your repair? I ask because I have a Galaxy Note 2 that needs repairs, but I don't know that I'm up to doing it myself.