Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

This War of Mine

Let's get this first out of the way. 9.9/10.

This is a real game. There is no save button. This is diablo on hardcore. You play civilians in a war zone so you're not Call of Duty. This is not Day Z because there are no zombies. It's a war zone. You need water, food, repel raids, and go raiding yourself. Do you want to put a bullet in senile old lady's head for a bunch of canned food or do you slowly back away? ALL your actions influence what happens.

It's a side scroller. For $20... from an independent developer. There are some quirky bugs but nothing earth shattering. The game is only 2 days old.

I say this would be extremely replayable because your characters all have different traits and different names

This is a real game.

»store.steampowered.com/a ··· /282070/

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

2 recommendations

kingdome74

Premium Member

Yeah but is it real?

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to Mike

to Mike
TB is going to do a WTF on this according to his Twitter.

Gundy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-29

Gundy to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
Definitely going to keep an eye on the next few reviews on this game. Saw lirik playing it a couple days ago and it looks 100% legit and interesting to play. And I heard with all the craftable objects/playable characters that there is ALWAYS something new to do.

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru to Mike

to Mike
GG to the title I used.

»[Game] The War of Mine

Side scrolling is back!

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

I have one "critique" though that has a massive spoiler in it.

Ok here's the problem. Toward end of game whether it's a statement or not... ethics go out the damn window. You HAVE to start ransacking people's places 30 days into it. You may or may not have to kill anyone too. Basically toward the end of the game it gets really damn dark

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I haven't played this yet, but I'd imagine this goes along the lines of Spec Ops: The Line. IRL, you'd just die if your ethics mean that much to you. By continuing to play, you are implicitly making the choice that your survival matters.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

I haven't played this yet, but I'd imagine this goes along the lines of Spec Ops: The Line. IRL, you'd just die if your ethics mean that much to you. By continuing to play, you are implicitly making the choice that your survival matters.

It's an interesting set of choices that's for sure especially if you have dependents, because even if you feel like your survival doesn't matter, it becomes unethical (for like of a better word) to exorcize a pacifist choice I'm definitely getting this shortly. I'm excited to see how it plays out.

EQ

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

I have one "critique" though that has a massive spoiler in it.

Ok here's the problem. Toward end of game whether it's a statement or not... ethics go out the damn window. You HAVE to start ransacking people's places 30 days into it. You may or may not have to kill anyone too. Basically toward the end of the game it gets really damn dark

I think, given the harsh reality the game portrays, it's probably true to life that, eventually, you're going to have to do something in a scenario like this that you morally do oppose, but have to for the sake of survival for you and yours. You do your best, but when it comes down to it, would you die to not steal from someone? Hurt someone? Kill someone? It's an interesting thought exercise, and one that I don't know I'd be proud of in the end.

As far as the game itself....I really enjoy it. It has its problems, but overall, it's worth it. I haven't even completed it (it does end, right?) but my gripes are as follows:

Pick up the pace: The game came realllllly drag at points, and while this may stay true to the core of the game, it could be sped up by a time FF button, aside from the END DAY. Maybe only able to be used a certain amount if they want to keep it to a minimum.

Pack space / scavenging: I've only ever made it to like day 29, and never once did I get a 5th person to my group, nor someone with more than I think 15 pack spaces, and that was phenominal. There needs to be a way to increase pack space (again, it may be possible and I just haven't seen it yet).

Scavenging: You should, if you have enough ppl, and hell even if you don't, be able to bring 1 additional person with you, even if one if nothing but a mule. I understand it's likely a balance issue, but it's definitely something I think they could expound on.

Other than that....really enjoy it and I love getting surprised by titles like this.

Viva La Sidescroller

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Mike

Mod

sniper alley with the Strong But Slow which is 17 slots but 50% run is pretty entertaining. It has drawbacks.

I think games spoil us with fast forward buttons.

If you filter out the whiney bitch factor on Metacritic because there isn't skill trees or rocket jumping then it's around a solid 90. I suspect it'll drop as word picks up and enough kids steal mommys credit card and try to find a place to camp with a sniper rifle.
Mike

Mike

Mod

There still is one annoying bug that just got me kill on sight at the hospital

No matter what you loot the guards with the AK are going to shoot you. LOS means nothing there

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to Mike

to Mike

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· AdTAM5os

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
I just noticed this game plays on linux steam. Cool I might bite on a sale.

shinjuru

West Coast

shinjuru to Mike

to Mike
If you haven't had the chance to play this game, please reconsider.
This game is pretty deep.

This War of Mine - Update 1.3

This is it! The biggest update so far, which has been in development for the last few months, is now available on Steam. We proudly present Update 1.3 that will give you plenty of new stories to tell. Let's take a look at what we’ve prepared.

- Scenario Editor in which you can write your own stories of civilians in war. Pick up members of the group, length of the conflict, weather conditions and more – it’s all up to you!
- Character Editor where you can shape civilians, their look, skills, biographies and then play with them in the game. You can even add your photo and be a part of the story.
- two new locations: Old Town and Looted Gas Station. Of course they can be included in your scenario!
- two new music tracks, designed for the night missions!

In TWoM you are the narrator. These new tools largely expand your possibilities of telling stories in the game.

Get the game today »store.steampowered.com/a ··· p/282070

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· gRC7PD4U

MacBridger
Late to the party
Premium Member
join:2001-01-11
Morgantown, WV

MacBridger

Premium Member

It would seem that an Android version will be out soon as well.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
join:2002-10-11
USA

Chaplain to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
Resurrecting dead thread here!

PS4 just released this as a free game for PSN Subscribers. It's the newest iteration, This War of Mine - The Little Ones. It just adds new character sets that include children. If you fail to provide/protect the child, they are taken away from you instead of dying.

I missed out on this game until now. Holy hell is it ever addicting. I only survived 14 days my first play through, and 24 the second. I'm on a third and am up to 31 so far. Had some luck with supplies and was able to build a hatchet pretty early, which helped a lot.

Damn good game. The subject matter hits close to home because our family has many Eastern European parts to it, and we personally know people in our town that were directly affected by that time period before they could escape and immigrate over here.

TigerLord

Canada

1 recommendation

TigerLord to Mike

to Mike
I never went very far in this game.

Eventually I run out of place to steal from and run out of resources.

The further along you go the more you need to increase defenses and patch up the house to prevent intruders from killing all of your hard work.

I usually stop playing because I got pissed off, and there is no save scumming allowed, so...

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

Chaplain

Premium Member

I found that if you rush the hatchet, you can get a bunch of free wood from your own shelter by chopping up cabinets and benches (like 20 wood). Then you focus on patching up your 3 holes in the walls. Finally, a reinforced door. With all that, you can even sleep through crime waves long as you have a knife at home.

I tried to go the "good guy doesn't steal" route with this current run, but eventually I was stealing from a large home and ended up getting killed by the husband. I came back with a vengeance and killed both him and his wife. The character that was killed was the only one of the three who had a conscience. The remaining two aren't getting depressed over the murder, instead looking at it as an "us or them" situation. It really makes you think. How far would I go to save myself and my family in that situation? I don't think anyone can truly answer that without actually being there and facing your own death or the death of your loved ones...

Heart wrenching game, really. I haven't even tried a run with a child in it. From a strictly winning sense, they just suck up resources. It's like hard mode, I guess.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

I could never kill the granny.

I have no problem stealing all her supplies though, which makes me a hypocrite I suppose.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

You took away a quick death, and replaced it with starvation. You horrible person.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to Chaplain

Premium Member

to Chaplain
I should get back to replay it. The moral choices had me really thinking, I could never do the 'fuck it, survive at all costs' run. :\

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

It really is fun, but very addicting.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to Mike

to Mike
Im so easily influenced I reinstalled this and am playing it now. *Shrugs*

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

Kill the old couple mercilessly and take their supplies.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to Mike

to Mike
How do you handle food? That always becomes my problem.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

It's pretty much everyone's problem. Here's what I found that worked for me. Sorry if it's too much info, but I am into this game and felt like writing.

Day 1 start collecting supplies and digging out dirt piles. You don't need a shovel, there's enough time to do it manually. Build a metal shop 1st, then a bed and make a crowbar to open locks and doors. First night out, start collecting shit. You'll want to upgrade the metal shop ASAP so you can build a hatchet to chop up random items in your house. Next is update the workbench. During this time you'll need to build a second bed, water collector, and stove. God help you if winter comes early though. When the workbench is finally upgraded, you can patch the holes in the house (3 holes), and build a mousetrap (need lots of gears). Use fertilizer in the mousetrap to collect meat (2 meats per 1 fertilizer). Try to upgrade your stove to use less materials, trade what you can with the dude that comes to the door, and go out pillaging every night.

People don't need to eat every day either. The first day you are already fed. You can go to Day 3 (Hungry), and if they don't eat by Day 4 they are Very Hungry. I feed Day 3, Day 5, Day 7, etc... unless I have a surplus and they are sad.

A second chair, radio, and armchair come next. Weapons if you can find some. Here's where you start looking at making an herb garden and distillary, but that's about where I am in my current game so I can't really project what to do next.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
That was always the hardest part. From memory, I only fed them once every two days. There's no need to feed them the day they are hungry. Feed them the next day only.

shinjuru

West Coast

shinjuru to Mike

to Mike
This game definitely stays with you after playing. It can get immersive and then depressing.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to Mike

to Mike
Well I got to day 20 on this run and I think the itch has been scratched. Had plenty of food and wood, the house was fully upgraded (workbench and stove included). Eventually I started having to raid dangerous places, which means I either have to sneak (lockpicks are expensive) or kill thugs (guns don't do a lot of damage). Any way to quick kill or sneak more efficiently?

What is the end game exactly?

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

Well, I got to day 40 last night and that was end game for me. Around Day 37 I took in an old dude and his grandson. Keeping that little one alive and content would have been a pain for any longer of a duration. In the end, they do a little epilogue of each character and where they went after the war. Roman, who did all the damn work, turned to drugs and died. I don't know if there really is a happy ending. At least the grandson did well, after some therapy...

When sneaking into dangerous places, you either sneak like you've been doing, or take someone with more combat experience (Roman or Arica) and stab enemies with a knife or hatchet from the shadowy hiding places. You sometimes have to lure a single combatant there with noise. You can do it with other characters, but if it doesn't give you the one hit kill, you better run like hell, or do another quick stab and hope they don't counter it.