Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

[Masonry] Finishing Concrete Wall

ive got a concrete wall that the people before us finished somehow. It seems to be like a skim coat but moisture has caused it to crumble and come off. I'm thinking of scraping it back down to the rough concrete finish. It was probably poured in the 1950s and is very rough lots of surface agragate. Anyone have recommendations for a better finish? I was thinking a finished wood with trim basically something like 1x4 around the perimeter with a panel painted white. But I don't want it to rot with the moisture. I'll have to attach direct to the concrete since the stairway is so narrow. Should I use the special paint that helps concrete walls with moisture or use a rubber membrane ?

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by Edrick:

moisture has caused it to crumble and come off

Any proper fix will have to include waterproofing, from the outside. Otherwise the moisture will get in with no way of getting out. You can try Drylock paint, maybe someone who has used it can chip in.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

The problem isn't so much it's leaking and cracks as it's just general moisture. Now I'm sure more could be done to the exterior to make it drier but the problem more so is just the method they used to finish the wall.

I more just need to figure out how to finish the wall with the least depth added to it.