spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AnqL
@76.2.230.x

AnqL

Anon

DSL wont stop shutting off

Recently my DSL has been shutting off a lot. I hook my laptop to the router and view my system log. it reads "DHCP release IP address" and exactly a second later "WAN physical link down".
I'm trying to narrow down what the problem could be so I can communicate this to the tech that is supposed to be coming tomorrow.
AnqL

AnqL

Anon

Please help me!!!!!!
Corporate
join:2014-10-04

Corporate to AnqL

to AnqL
There could be a number of problems here. First, check to see if your inside wiring is faulty.

1. Disconnect the modem.
2. Open the Telephone Network Terminal (may be called the NID).
3. Connect the modem to the telephone test jack inside the Telephone Network Terminal.
4. This bypasses the inside wiring.
5. Connect a computer to the modem.

Check to see if the modem stays connected. If the results are the same, repeat the same process with a different modem.

If the problem continues when using the test jack on the Telephone Network Terminal that means that there is a problem with the outside line connecting you to the Remote Terminal or the DSLAM. If that is the case, CenturyLink will have to make repairs to the outside plant.

AnqL
@76.2.233.x

AnqL to AnqL

Anon

to AnqL
I've been tracking it on the system log and it appears to be happening every 28 minutes on the dot. What the h$#% is this?
Corporate

Corporate to AnqL

to AnqL
Did you connect the modem to the telephone Network Terminal?

AnqL
@76.2.233.x

AnqL to Corporate

Anon

to Corporate
I live in an apartment complex and only have two phone jacks in mine. The only other thing I know of is their pedestal outside.
Corporate

Corporate to AnqL

to AnqL
Do you have a spare modem that you can try?

Edit: Also try the other phone jack. Are any of the neighbors experiencing interruptions?

AnqL
@76.2.233.x

AnqL

Anon

No sir. These incidents started happening about two weeks ago and this router they supplied me pk5001z, i've had for about 7 months now. Do you believe this could be the issue?
AnqL

AnqL

Anon

I just hooked up the router to the other phone jack and I'll let you know how it goes
AnqL

AnqL to Corporate

Anon

to Corporate
I will have to ask them tomorrow as its almost 11 p.m. here and I'm not even sure if they have CenturyLink. I have the up to 10mb package and everytime the modem reconnected earlier it showed it connecting at a speed of 11.769mbps download if thats of any use to you.
Corporate

Corporate to AnqL

to AnqL
said by AnqL :

No sir. These incidents started happening about two weeks ago and this router they supplied me pk5001z, i've had for about 7 months now. Do you believe this could be the issue?

The modem very well could be on its way out...or the line could be damaged.

Do you have a cable provider in your area? If so, which company is it?

AnqL
@76.2.233.x

AnqL

Anon

Time Warner is available in my area but I currently have CenturyLink. This is my first apartment and first time purchasing internet. Not sure if I made the wrong choice with DSL over cable.
Corporate

Corporate to AnqL

to AnqL
After reading reviews of this modem on amazon, I would say that your modem is bad and am actually surprised that it lasted as long as it did.

Take a look here: »www.amazon.com/ZyXel-pk5 ··· _pr_pb_t

I would recommend canceling the CenturyLink appointment and going to eBay and purchasing a non-Verizon branded Westell 327w modem. This should fix your problem, if you can wait a week.

CenturyLink does not have a great track record of reliable service or support. You should probably consider switching to Time Warner Cable if reliability is important. But definitely try a Westell 327w modem first.

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

Titus to AnqL

to AnqL
said by AnqL :

it showed it connecting at a speed of 11.769mbps download

Don't tell a phone CSR that. I did and then had to talk him out of re-provisioning me below "10 megs" because he thought someone had made a mistake.

AnqL
@76.2.237.x

AnqL

Anon

DSL Status

Connection
Status
DSL Downstream:
2.295 Mbps
DSL Upstream:
0.395 Mbps
DSL Link Statistics

Link Statistic
Status
Broadband Mode Setting:
MULTIMODE
Broadband Mode Detected:
ADSL_2plus
DSL Link Uptime:
4M:8S
Retrains:
Retrains in Last 24 Hours:
Loss of Power Link Failures:
Loss of Signal Link Failure:
Link Train Errors:
Unavailable Seconds:
Transport Mode:
ADSL
Path Parameter:
8/35
Priority:
UBR without PCR
Service Type:
LLC Bridged
AnqL

AnqL

Anon

These are my stats from my DSL Status page on the modem. Also, when the CenturyLink tech showed up the other day, he tested at the NID outside and told me there was no noise and then tested from my phone cord inside the house and said that the line must be damaged because there is a lot of line noise. Can I trust this guy? Should I at least try the above noted router first?
Corporate

Corporate

There may be an inside wiring issue. Have a CenturyLink technician come back out and ask him if there are any spare pairs that he could switch your line to. Inside wire maintenance may cost you, depending on what CenturyLink's policies are.

I would do a few self tests first. If you have CenturyLink phone service unplug all of the phones and see if the problem continues. If so, there is definitely an inside wiring issue and do above.

If the problem does not continue after unplugging the phones try replacing the DSL filters on the phones. Make sure there is not a DSL filter on the modem. Also replace the modem with a Westell 327w (make sure the modem does not have a Verizon logo on it). The 327w is on CenturyLink's approved list of DSL modems.

If all else fails, or internet is important to you and you do not want to waste any more time waiting for another CenturyLink technician, switch to Time Warner. Depending on how old your apartment complex is the coax would most likely be in better shape than the copper would be, plus TWC is doing upgrades left and right.

AnqL
@76.2.235.x

AnqL

Anon

Well, I don't even have a landline phone so that's out of the question. I will get the modem that you mentioned and I only have four more months on the lease so I don't think it's really worth it to pay the fee to drop CenturyLink and switch to TWC. I really appreciate the input and help though. You've been a HUGE aide. THANKS!!!
Corporate

Corporate to AnqL

to AnqL
Post back with the results once you get the modem.

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

Titus to AnqL

to AnqL
Run a line directly from the box to the modem. That's how they set mine up for 10 years ago. Drilled through an outside wall into the room.
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn to Corporate

to Corporate
Why would you recommend a Westell 327w router?