uniqs
rfripp
join:2014-11-17
Atlanta, GA

rfripp

Splitter/combiner question - two TV setup

Click for full size
diagram
During football season, I like having two TVs in the same room, but in order to do this, I have to route a long coax cable in from the other room which is kind of a pain and looks awful, people trip over it, etc.

I know I can just get a splitter but I don't want to compromise the quality of signal when I am only using this on the weekends in the fall/winter. Also, routing a second coax under the house would be a pain and probably not worth the effort/money.

I have attached a picture (not sure if it will show up in post or not) of what I am thinking of doing. I will attempt to explain for those who can't see it or if it doesn't make sense: I want to split the main coax signal into two (splitter 1), with one routing to another splitter (with an A/B switch - splitter 2) and the other routing to a combiner (splicer, which leads to TV 1). The A/B splitter, when set to "A" (when I only want the one TV - green signal), will lead back to the combiner (splicer), so as to have the full signal to the main TV (TV 1). When set to B, however (blue signal), the signal will lead to TV 2.

Would this work for my purposes? I'm not as worried about a slightly worse quality signal when watching the games, but want to ensure otherwise that I have a full signal to the main TV. Or is the splitting quality degradation not worth worrying about?

»i.imgur.com/0LuxuF5.png
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count

Splitting it once into two outputs will not have any issues. If you are seeing issues, you need to call WOW up and have them check the line. It's only when you have four or more outputs that it might start being a problem.

Buy a high quality splitter. Not one from your local hardware store. Go to amazon.com or an electronics store to get one.
rfripp
join:2014-11-17
Atlanta, GA

rfripp

Okay great. Appreciate it