All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
calldavis
join:2014-11-17

calldavis

Small scale wisp

Hi is there a way to set up fixed wireless internet just for my own home that I can regulate on my own? I just want faster internet without signing up for overpriced crappy internet. Wisps in my area are nonexistent. Suggestions...logical options?

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Welcome to DSL Reports

Basically the answer is no. If you could set up your own WISP, you would no longer have a problem with low speed.

Think about the problem in basic terms, to be a WISP you need a way to connect to the Internet. If you wanted to set up a small scale WISP for you and a few of your neighbors you might be able to justify the high cost of a fiber connection to your house.

/tom

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to calldavis

to calldavis
Could you use a 3G/4G dongle? Do you have a cellular provider? It can be done with most manufacturers, but here is a example of one.

»www.dlinkmea.com/site/in ··· ails/530

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by Hard Harry7:

Could you use a 3G/4G dongle?

Uh, he clearly said "without signing up for overpriced crappy internet" (said dongle will be both and has a 2-yr contract). Around here the local cable co is cheaper, faster (as fast if not faster then 4G), and has no caps or contract.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

That is not clear at all. I was just trying to give another solution other then "no". How about we let the OP decide what post is relevant and what is not?
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to calldavis

to calldavis
yes, check out the wisp forum....

But your best bet is to find a high speed connection, then wirelessly link it to your home. ISP's are about getting the bandwidth from where it's located to where it's wanted.
calldavis
join:2014-11-17

calldavis

Hi,
Thanks for the replies...I definitely need the basic insight!

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to Hard Harry7

to Hard Harry7
Did you read the OPs post?
battleop

battleop to calldavis

to calldavis
Yes, you can do it on your own but if you think your current options are expensive you are in for a bit of sticker shock. Expect to pay $500-1000/mo for 10Mbps not including your hardware.