uniqs
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Aftermarket radio in 2006 Durango

I have a Kenwood radio I just bought for my 2006 Durango. The factory radio is the basic 6-disc changer with no amp, no navigation, no steering wheel controls or anything else. Do I actually need the expensive $50+ harness adapters or can I get the basic ones without the modules on it?

The ones I've been looking at are Metra XSVI-6502-NAV or SCOSCHE CR4000A. Or potentially one of the cheap like $15-20 ones from Walmart, Best Buy, etc.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa

Premium Member

Judging from several sites that supply adapters, most 04+ Chryslers don't have one or more voltages in the stock harness and require the adapter to run.

You may be able to get one of the cheap ones, but you'll probably have to hack into something behind the dash to make it work. If it's worth your time to 'try' it, the cheap adapters may work. Otherwise get what's recommended.

May find something used on ebay as well.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Yeah, I remember reading that there's apparently no switched 12V source (probably because of the delayed off thing). There's also a harness that's $150: »www.crutchfield.com/p_54 ··· ?tp=3486 but it indicates it is for the ones with navigation and a factory amp which I don't have. Is there any appreciable difference between the $50 ones?
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA

fixrman

Premium Member

You should have done this research before you bought the radio. You are doing it bass-ackwards. Get the proper adapter, be it $50.00 or more. Do the install right instead of hacking it together.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Ummm thanks? Where the hell did I say I was "hacking this together"? Thanks for putting words in my mouth. FYI, I am doing this regardless of which adapter I have to get and I HAVE done research on it, have you? There's little to no info about any specific vehicle out there when searching for info on the adapters as they cover multiple models and years and factory options. All I wanted to know was since I have no factory extras, do I need the expensive adapter or can I get away with the basic adapter. What you posted was in no way helpful but thanks anyway...
JoelC707

JoelC707

Premium Member

So I picked up the Scosche one from Walmart today. Works perfectly although just like I read in a review of it, the radio will stay on with the vehicle off. Probably something to do with how they sourced the switched 12V. Honestly, that's not really an issue for me and potentially a roundabout bonus as I don't have to leave the ignition in on/acc position to use the radio. I just have to remember to turn it off when I park somewhere (not hard to do). And fortunately it's actually off and not just in a standby mode because my phone won't pair with it in this mode.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

I have a Kenwood radio I just bought for my 2006 Durango. The factory radio is the basic 6-disc changer with no amp, no navigation, no steering wheel controls or anything else. Do I actually need the expensive $50+ harness adapters or can I get the basic ones without the modules on it?

The ones I've been looking at are Metra XSVI-6502-NAV or SCOSCHE CR4000A. Or potentially one of the cheap like $15-20 ones from Walmart, Best Buy, etc.

it does have a amp other wise the speakers would not work

a. the head unit has the amp built in
b. the amp is located in the trunk hidden out of view
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

What trunk? Unless it's hidden behind the dash I can nearly 100% assure you it does not have an amp. If it does, there's no way to get to it.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

Well since you bought a premium system you will ave to buy a amp.

you could have bought a el-cheapo head unit with built in amp

also factory amp is available with premium audio system for this SUV you bought
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Yes, available but as I said, it does not have that option (It would be an Alpine system from what I've been able to discern). And how do you know the unit I bought doesn't have an amp? I didn't post the model number of the Kenwood stereo and they have many different options. FWIW, the Kenwood I bought (KDC-BT955HD) does have an amp built in according to it's specs (and there's an amp off function in the settings).
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

1 edit

lawsoncl to JoelC707

to JoelC707
The factory connector does not have a switched 12-volt wire. The fancy adapter is just watching the OBD bus and turning the 12-volt switched wire on/off. It also monitors and switches the wire to indicate if the vehicle is moving so a radio that can play DVDs can disable the video.

I just did a 05 Dakota using the cheap adapter from Amazon. I just tied the 12-volt switched wire from the adapter to the +12volt for the cigarette lighter which gets switched with the ignition.

Some vehicles use the stock radio to play some warning sounds like the chime when you leave the key in the ignition.

Edit: Found my previous order info. I put in a Kenwood KDC-X898. $230. I vaguely remember looking at the 955, but bumped up to the 898 for the better screen and rear usb and didn't care about HD radio.

The wiring harness adapter was $5
»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· 007KPRK6
Amazon says it doesn't fit, but other parts places did

Antenna adapter: $7
»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· 00KL4HEO

Faceplate Adapter: $14
»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· 003MLSMY
Hint if you use this one there is a thin strip along the bottom of the pocket that you'll want to crazy glue in place or it likes to stick up. Wife loves having the pocket to hold the iphone when it's plugged in. (What asshole decided the hole in the dash had to be so funky shaped?)

I put the mic right at the front of the overhead light, just hooked the bracket on the edge of the hole and it works great there.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

4 recommendations

mattmag to JoelC707

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

And how do you know the unit I bought doesn't have an amp?

Trust me, he has no idea....
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to lawsoncl

Premium Member

to lawsoncl
said by lawsoncl:

The factory connector does not have a switched 12-volt wire. The fancy adapter is just watching the OBD bus and turning the 12-volt switched wire on/off. It also monitors and switches the wire to indicate if the vehicle is moving so a radio that can play DVDs can disable the video.

Interesting, so I guess the bus is not shutting off the unit like it's supposed to or it's monitoring some other circuit. It's really not an issue for me and can be a benefit but yeah. Using the cig lighter socket is an idea if I get tired of having to manually turn it off (or it kills my battery after all, but I don't think it will).
said by lawsoncl:

Found my previous order info. I put in a Kenwood KDC-X898. $230. I vaguely remember looking at the 955, but bumped up to the 898 for the better screen and rear usb and didn't care about HD radio.

I wanted the HD radio, Sirius capability, and RDS. I also skimmed through skipping ones that has shitty clock style displays. I was originally looking at the X998 or 958 (they are only $10 apart on Crutchfield), the only difference I saw between them was the Excelon had a 2 year warranty instead of 1 year. I ultimately went for the 955 because I got it for $94.99 open box at Best Buy. I couldn't pass up that deal. Only thing it's missing is the remote (never use them anyway) and the mic which I can pick up for $20 if I really want it.
said by lawsoncl:

Hint if you use this one there is a thin strip along the bottom of the pocket that you'll want to crazy glue in place or it likes to stick up. Wife loves having the pocket to hold the iphone when it's plugged in. (What asshole decided the hole in the dash had to be so funky shaped?)

Yep, that's the one I got. I already messed up one of the pins on the bottom trim ring while putting it in so I'll likely glue it. I too love the pocket, it's great for my phone, sun glasses or any number of other things.

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn

said by JoelC707:

Using the cig lighter socket is an idea if I get tired of having to manually turn it off (or it kills my battery after all, but I don't think it will).

You will get tired of doing it. You will forget to do it, and it will kill your battery. It's just a question of when.

Aftermarket radios can't monitor the CANBUS like factory radios do. Connect its switched power lead to something that is switched and you'll be fine. Don't and you'll be stranded with a dead battery sooner or later. That's why radios have been switched with the ignition for the past 70+ years.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Tis true, very true.... I do have one of those small lithium battery jump boxes that I keep with me but I'd rather not have to use it ya know. The cig lighter there is probably the closest and easiest source to tap into.
lawsoncl
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl to JoelC707

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

Interesting, so I guess the bus is not shutting off the unit like it's supposed to or it's monitoring some other circuit.

After market radios generally don't have data wires as it would be too hard to figure out all the possible variations between car models. They just have the switched 12volt to know when to go into standby. The factory side of the harness has a few extra wires that the adapter didn't connect to.

My only complaint about the KDC-X898 is the display doesn't have adjustable brightness, and its not bright enough to read if the sun is out. The mic that came with it is pretty good. Not like the crappy one that came with the JVC in the jetta. That one picked up everything but the driver.

mattmag

NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag to JoelC707

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

Interesting, so I guess the bus is not shutting off the unit like it's supposed to or it's monitoring some other circuit.

One thing about this; and I am only mulling this for the sake of discussion as I know very little about aftermarket radios; is that the device *may* actually be functioning as designed by monitoring the bus and switching the Bat+ based on the input, but keep in mind that *some* of the bus circuits stay alive for a fairly *long* time after the key is shut off.

This may be making people think "Oh it doesn't work right" when in fact it is just waiting for the bus to go inactive. I know on many GM systems, some of the data circuits are active for 6-8 minutes or more after the engine shuts down, so I can see where this may be a factor. I don't recall the bus on-times for the Durango, however.

Again, just a point of discussion---
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

I can see that and that's about how long the factory radio stayed on so it fits. I agree that the module on the harness should be what is monitoring the bus and switching the 12V manually but either it's broken and not switching for some reason, or it's monitoring a different OBD parameter (can it even access other parameters from the radio harness?).

I say this because the factory radio would also go off immediately upon opening the door, this one doesn't. And just to see if waiting on it worked, I reset the timer (turned ignition on then off again) and waited in the vehicle until the windows wouldn't operate anymore (they quit working in probably 6-8 minutes but I know I waited over 10 minutes) but still the radio stayed on. In fact, I haven't been in the vehicle in over 24 hours, I can almost guarantee you I can go out there right now, hit the power button on the radio and wake it up no problem.
lawsoncl
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl to mattmag

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

monitoring the bus

The Kenwood doesn't have data wires and doesn't monitor anything. It's just turns off when it doesn't see voltage on the +12 switched red wire, which the cheap adapter connects to +12v constant voltage. Simple solution is to connect the red wire coming from the radio to a wire that does switch on/off with the ignition, instead of connecting it to the adapter.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Yeah but shouldn't that module on the harness monitor the bus? I know it's what provides the switched 12V so shouldn't it be monitoring something to know when to turn it on and off?

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag to lawsoncl

to lawsoncl
said by lawsoncl:

Simple solution is to connect the red wire coming from the radio to a wire that does switch on/off with the ignition, instead of connecting it to the adapte

This sounds ez-pz, but you must remember that "things ain't done like they used to be done" anymore.

Your idea is sound, but finding a component that actually works on switched B+ is becoming a thing of the past. For example, most Chrysler headlamp switches don't even have a direct connection to ANY of the light circuits; rather, it only connects to the Body Control Module and operates on the Class II data line to give inputs to the BCM which in turn controls relays which in turn control the lamp circuits.

So think about this---- If the BCM detects that the headlamp switch has "failed", it turns the headlamps ON by default. You can't do that with the B+ going to the switch like the old days....

And people wonder why this shit is so expensive to fix...
lawsoncl
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl

said by mattmag:

This sounds ez-pz

Yup, it is. Earlier in this thread I pointed out that the cig lighter is switched and easy to get to. I was giving a specific fix that I have personally done and know works on the vehicle that was asked about, rather than speaking in generalities.

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag

That should work well then. You don't see many switched cig lighters, but it makes for a handy circuit.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Yeah, it annoyed me the first time I discovered it. In the inside fuse box there's an adjustable fuse that sets the aux power outlets as either always on or switched and I had purposely set it as always on and was annoyed when it didn't include the cig lighter (which is what I was hoping it would cover). This does have some hidden advantages though, one being the easily accessible switched circuit but it's also a separate circuit available for devices. That said, when I installed the radio, I noticed that socket is fed with what looks like 16 AWG wire, not something I'd want to pull 20A though (that's what it's fused for IIRC).
JoelC707

JoelC707

Premium Member

Well, it finally happened. I haven't driven it in a couple of days and I went out there today to find a dead battery. Needless to say, as soon as I got back home I rewired it to connect the switched 12v lead to the cig lighter plug right there. It now switches with the ignition like it's supposed to and even better, it actually keeps up with the delay like before (I didn't realize the cig lighter was on the same delay as the radio and windows but it is).

On a side note, this guy: »www.walmart.com/ip/Jump- ··· 39097777 works great. Jumped me off perfectly.
JoelC707

JoelC707

Premium Member

Well here's a problem. The battery is dead again (brand new battery just got it a few months ago). I let it charge via a proper battery charger on 10A for a few hours while I redid the wiring harness (it was showing being down at about 25% charge) then switched it to 2A charge and it was showing full by that night. I've driven it some in between but haven't gone anywhere in a couple of days again and I found a dead battery again this morning.

Only thing to change recently is the addition of the radio so unless the battery is bad, it's almost certainly gotta be that but it switches properly now so I'm not sure what's up. I'm gonna disconnect the box on the harness and see if the radio still works (I think it was only providing the switched 12VDC which is sourced elsewhere now). I'm suspecting its staying online for some reason which would account for why it never shut the radio off properly.

NS4683
join:2000-08-25
NJ

NS4683

Have you measured any parasitic drain when the car is off?
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Not yet, I have a clamp meter that was given to me but I'm told it can't do DC, though I haven't played with it yet to verify.

NS4683
join:2000-08-25
NJ

NS4683

You can use a multimeter set to either 10 or 20A. When I checked my one car, I connected my meter in-line with the negative cable and negative battery post. The car I checked was a Ford and for my particular model, Ford recommends less than 50mA draw after everything goes to sleep. It took about 40 minutes after disconnecting the negative cable for all the things to go to sleep.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

I totally forgot about doing it that way, I'll give it a try shortly.