uniqs
TheJaguar3
join:2003-06-25

TheJaguar3

uverse network configuration issue

Current setup:
NVG589 -> Router (Asus RT-n66u)
NVG589 -> VIP2250

I have disabled wireless on the NVG589. The above setup works fine, but I am unable to view all my channels on uverse.com/live on my laptop connected to the Asus router. I get a message asking me to connect to "uverse home network to view more channels", which I presume is because the VIP2250 is connected directly to the NVG589.

I tried changing the above setup to:
NVG589 -> Router -> VIP2250, which gives me a "TV signal has been lost" message intermittently. I get the video on my TV for a bit, followed by the signal lost message.

Any idea as to why I am getting this error message?

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

said by TheJaguar3:

Any idea as to why I am getting this error message?

Yes. The Set top Boxes use a combination of TCP and Multicast to deliver the video. When you change channels the box initially connects to the TCP unicast video stream. After 10 seconds it joins the multicast stream. You are not forwarding multicast through your router so it breaks. I would not recommend you do that anyway. There is no reason to flood your router with all that video traffic. It buys you nothing.

Off-hand I can't recall the issue with U-verse Live and if it requires you to be on the same network segment with your Set Top Boxes, unless you are trying to watch DVR video or something like that. You do have to be on the same network segment to be able to remotely control your Set Top Boxes via the U-verse mobile app. It can not detect the receivers otherwise. It does some sort of broadcast or multicast to find them. That traffic will not pass through your router.
TheJaguar3
join:2003-06-25

TheJaguar3

interesting - thanks much for the detailed response. Is there any workaround to enable watching recorded videos, using the u-verse mobile app, etc? I really don't want to use the wireless functionality of NVG589 because it's subpar at best...

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

Totally agree with you on the NVG589 subpar wireless. No matter what I have done to tune its signal, the quality signal coverage is maybe 60% of what I get with my dedicated Cisco access point. I run all my wireless off of 2 separate access points each broadcasting multiple SSIDs that bridge to different networks to separate guest/external from my internal network.

To watch recorded video, the mobile app is just connecting you to a multicast feed locally from your DVR box on your network. The catch is you have to be on the same logical network segment as your DVR otherwise you will never be able to talk to the DVR or receive the multicast video streams. So, unless you have a wireless access point that you can bridge to the network segment outside of your router, you are stuck. If you can figure out a way to get AT&T to replace your 589 with an NVG599 that has 5GHz 802.11n and 802.11ac that might help. Otherwise, you are on your own to buy or jury-rig a solution.
benk016
join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK

benk016 to TheJaguar3

to TheJaguar3
I didn't even know you could watch recorded shows from the DVR on the mobile app. I thought the mobile app had completely separate streams from the regular TV streams. My wife watches it a lot and all the channels she watches just show a channel logo and music during commercial breaks which means its not the same stream the STB's are getting.