gootdude
join:2002-01-21
Chicago, IL

1 edit

gootdude

RCS Partial Service - No Longer Getting 8 Channels

Click for full size
Click for full size
I'm in Chicago (60613) and recently there was an outage on Friday. The technicians had to replace some gear outside, and after service was restored, I now only receive 4 channels downstream instead of 8 channels on a Motorola SB6141.

The modem log shows this warning message when starting:
RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=3c:36:e4:96:ba:9a;CMTS-MAC=00:1f:ca:1f:fa:9f;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Whenever I do get 8 channels, it seems there is lots of errors on 1 of the 8 channels, and that causes massive packet loss plus speed loss:
168 packets transmitted, 142 packets received, 15.5% packet loss

Any ideas what I can tell technicians to properly get this fixed and restored to the glorious 8 channels with proper SNR and no packet loss?

My Modem Encoded Mac: d3a246f12ff78f10b6397ed604604fc8512baac2

astoundcares
Emilie
Premium Member
join:2012-01-04

astoundcares

Premium Member

You will need a technician to come out on a service visit. They're going to want to check the forward levels and SNR, EIA 105-108 specifically. The modem is
also having problems bonding at all, so likely they'll want to check MER / BER at the modem.

Sorry for your speed issues.
Emilie
gootdude
Chicago, IL

gootdude

Click for full size
Click for full size
Technicians did nothing except force me to use a rental modem which exhibited the exact same issues.

They didn't bother checking anything, just wanted to see a speed test. Thankfully I was able to restart the modem while the tech was here and it jumped to 8 channels, so he saw the terrible speed and faulty channel, but again nothing was done besides handing me a rental modem and saying that was good enough.

I then called in and complained, and now they're supposedly sending a line technician out, and I'm supposed to now wait 48 hours and hope that fixes it.

I'm pretty frustrated that this line technician will not be coming to my actual house, nor will they be confirming when they fix anything if it fixes my issues, I'm just expected to call customer support again after 48 hours.

I've attached the information from the RCN modem as well. Is there anything I can provide to knowledgeable technicians so they'll actually fix the issue?

astoundcares
Emilie
Premium Member

astoundcares

Premium Member

I see that line technicians are scheduled for today. Please run a speed test later this evening to log the results.

Emilie
gootdude
Chicago, IL

gootdude

Click for full size
Modem just rebooted, and all signals are looking perfect again.

Thank you so much!

astoundcares
Emilie
Premium Member

astoundcares

Premium Member

I just peeked and all 8 channels are there !!

Great. Thanks for letting me know. I hope you have a nice day today.

Emilie
gootdude
Chicago, IL

gootdude

And now the issue is back =(.

No longer getting 8 channels, only getting 4 channels with the:

Dec 01 2014 01:10:52 5-Warning T07.0 RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=3c:36:e4:96:ba:9a;CMTS-MAC=00:1f:ca:1f:fa:9f;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Speed tests are now failing to max the 110mbps service:
only getting around 75mbps during peak times, very frustrating.
gootdude

gootdude

After more complaining and providing signal levels that Channel 95, 693MHZ was super noisy, RCN scheduled a construction crew this week.

After some intermittent outages today, we're back to 8 channels with approximiately 37-38db of signal to noise

Here's hoping it lasts for more than 2 weeks this time!