Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

2 recommendations

antdude

Premium Member

1 MS out-of-band security for 11/18/2014

»technet.microsoft.com/li ··· ms14-nov and »technet.microsoft.com/se ··· gg309152

For supported Windows. That was unexpected! :/

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap

Premium Member

Not yet available as of this post.
Placeholder page is here: »technet.microsoft.com/en ··· 068.aspx

Seeing more push from MS on this patch than usual. Probably because all vers are critical rated including server installs.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Now available via WU.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
it seems wierd, an "advance notification", published on 11/18/14, supposedly to be replaced on 11/18/14?

NICK ADSL UK
MVM
join:2004-02-22
united kingd

1 recommendation

NICK ADSL UK to antdude

MVM

to antdude
Out-of-band release for Security Bulletin MS14-068

On Tuesday, November 18, 2014, at approximately 10 a.m. PST, we will release an out-of-band security update to address a vulnerability in Windows.

We strongly encourage customers to apply this update as soon as possible, following the directions in the security bulletin.

More information about this bulletin can be found at Microsoft’s Advance Notification Service page.

Tracey Pretorius, Director
Response Communications
»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· nov.aspx

jap
Premium Member
038xx

1 recommendation

jap to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

Today's NewYorker cartoon = excellent timing

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to jap

Premium Member

to jap

Re: 1 MS out-of-band security for 11/18/2014

Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 are not critical rated. In fact the bulletin says this about them:

"Severity ratings do not apply for this operating system because the vulnerability addressed in this bulletin is not present. This update provides additional defense-in-depth hardening that does not fix any known vulnerability."

The sky is not falling. It's just a little overcast.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Also cited by MSRC Team:
Out-of-band release for Security Bulletin MS14-068
»blogs.technet.com/b/msrc ··· 068.aspx
siljaline

siljaline to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
It's on WU as was already said - requires restart.

MS14-068: Vulnerability in Kerberos could allow elevation of privilege: November 18, 2014

»support.microsoft.com/kb/3011780

• Microsoft Security Bulletin MS14-068 - Critical:
==============================

»technet.microsoft.com/li ··· ms14-068

jap
Premium Member
038xx

jap to NOYB

Premium Member

to NOYB
said by NOYB:

Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 are not critical rated.

My bad. Thanks for the correction.

»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· 068.aspx
redwolfe_98
Premium Member

2 edits

redwolfe_98 to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
unfortunately, i am having problems with the "microsoft update" website, when i go there to try to install the update.. i can't seem to be able to figure out what is causing the problem..

when i go to the "microsoft update" website, i get a message that says something like "page cannot be displayed" with error code 80248015..

at one microsoft-webpage that i found, it said that "error code 80248015" meant "service expired"..

i am running windows xp, using the "windows xp POS2009-embedded" reg-tweak in order to be able to continue getting updates for windows xp.. it has worked, up until now..

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline

Premium Member

said by redwolfe_98:

i am running windows xp, using the "windows xp POS2009-embedded" reg-tweak in order to be able to continue getting updates for windows xp.. it has worked, up until now..

You may have reached the end of the REG HACK. Past threads warned XP users of this. Best of luck patching.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member

1 edit

redwolfe_98 to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
said by redwolfe_98:

i am having problems with the "microsoft update" website

i found that everyone who is running "windows server 2003" is having the same problem with the "microsoft update" website, error code 80248015:

»social.technet.microsoft ··· ervergen

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

You said you were running windows xp, not server 2003

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

3 recommendations

trparky

Premium Member

I just installed the Registry hack to my Windows XP virtual machine installation and then went to the Windows Update site, sure enough, it gave the error code 0x80248015.

I guess that Microsoft has put some changes into the Windows Update code to put a stop to this hack. Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long for Microsoft to put a stop to it. All it would take is some code in the ActiveX control that powers Windows Update for Windows XP to detect the existence of the Registry hack along with what the kernel says it is, and then *poof* no more Windows Update.

We told people, get off of Windows XP. We said it time and time and time again, but no... some of you clung to it like a piece of driftwood for dear life. It's time to put this ancient piece of shit in the ground and leave it there.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

2 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by trparky:

... some of you clung to it like a piece of driftwood for dear life. It's time to put this ancient piece of shit in the ground and leave it there.

Hmmm, my XP SP3 box is working just fine for a "ancient piece of shit" In fact so is my Win2K SP4 box.

PS: And I never bothered with the registry hack.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

It may be working fine and all but I wouldn't at all take it out for a ride on the public Internet. There's far too many known (and unknown) exploits ready to be used against it.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member

1 recommendation

redwolfe_98 to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
i finally got the update to install..

the workaround is:

1) Stop the Automatic Updates and Background Intelligent Transfer Service services.
2) Delete or rename the %windir%\SoftwareDistribution folder.
3) Restart Automatic Updates and Background Intelligent Transfer Service services.
4) Go to the Windows Update site, NOT the Microsoft Update site, and DO NOT enable Microsoft Update.
Direct link to Windows Update site: »windowsupdate.microsoft. ··· ln=en-us
5) From Windows Update you can install updates. (Obviously MS14-068 is what we’re talking about today.)

The workaround breaks on first reboot and will have to be repeated to install additional updates
-------------------------
someone posted the workaround in the MS forum..
redwolfe_98

1 edit

redwolfe_98 to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
said by trparky:

I wouldn't take it out on the public Internet. There's far too many known, and unknown, exploits, ready to be used against it.

that is not true, not if one has been installing the patches..

when new vulnerabilities are discovered, they are patched, the same as with all of the other versions of windows..
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 recommendation

TheMG to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
said by trparky:

It may be working fine and all but I wouldn't at all take it out for a ride on the public Internet. There's far too many known (and unknown) exploits ready to be used against it.

If the machine is on a "trusted" network behind a hardware firewall and you are using an up to date fulled patched browser and up to date AV software, I'd say the risk is really quite minimal.

After all, most security exploits occur through the browser, so as long as they're not able to get past the browser, you're ok.

Of course, I definitely wouldn't go around connecting an unpatched XP machine to public WiFi or to an unprotected internet connection, and I DEFINITELY wouldn't be using Internet Explorer which by now is way way outdated on XP.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
said by trparky:

It's time to put this ancient piece of shit in the ground and leave it there.

That being Windoze XP

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
said by redwolfe_98:

it seems wierd, an "advance notification", published on 11/18/14, supposedly to be replaced on 11/18/14?

Well, it was before 10:00 AM PST.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

1 recommendation

NetFixer to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
said by redwolfe_98:

said by redwolfe_98:

i am having problems with the "microsoft update" website

i found that everyone who is running "windows server 2003" is having the same problem with the "microsoft update" website, error code 80248015:

»social.technet.microsoft ··· ervergen

OTOH, my Windows Server 2003 installation is setup to do an auto-notify (but not auto-install), and I received and installed the patch that was issued yesterday with no problems.

However, after seeing your post, I went to the »windowsupdate.microsoft. ··· ln=en-us url that was being discussed in that thread, and I had no problems accessing it (of course there were no new updates, since I had just installed the most recent update). So, not everyone running Windows Server 2003 had that problem.

However, since the title of that thread is "Windows Update for Windows Server 2003 will not load" and not "Microsoft Update for Windows Server 2003 will not load", perhaps that made a difference.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member

redwolfe_98

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

my Windows Server 2003 installation is setup to do an auto-notify (but not auto-install), and I received and installed the patch that was issued yesterday

the problem is with the "microsoft update" website, not windows automatic-updates, or the "windows update" website..

in the thread, one person said that they were able to get the update through windows automatic-updating, which, apparently, you also did..

looking in the MS forum, today, many others, running windows xp and windows server 2003, were saying that they were having the same problem with the "microsoft update" website..

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
said by trparky:

...and get the wonderful Windows 8.1 that's sweeping the world by storm.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

said by vaxvms:

Excellent. Keep your head buried in the sand and one day when you come up to look around all you will see is that which you have been denying.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

said by trparky:

There were many chances to get licenses of Windows 7 in the past. In fact, you can still buy Windows 7.

Windows 7 on Amazon.com
trparky

1 edit

trparky

Premium Member

If you don't like Windows 8/8.1 at least get Windows 7. I can't understand why people still use Windows XP.

I created three identical virtual machines in VirtualBox. Two processors, 4 GBs of RAM, hardware virtualization, and 2D and 3D accelerated video. One running Windows XP, one running Vista, and one running Windows 7. Windows XP runs slow as shit. Hell, Vista even runs circles around XP! And Vista was supposed to be a resource pig! Windows 7 by far runs far faster than Windows XP could ever hope to run.

I can't understand why people still use Windows XP!

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms

Sure glad I didn't listen to Windows 8/8.1 neigh sayers.

I love Windows 8/8.1, even more that Windows 7.
Especially like ability to use a passphrase rather than a USB key for BitLocked OS drive. Much greater piece of mind than having a USB key laying around to give a would be thief complete data access.