spc
Search similar:

uniqs
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to xthepeoplesx

to xthepeoplesx

Re: Email: Your Home Is Ready for Even Faster Internet!

I'm sticking them mainly for my static IP, port 25, and the reliability. My local cableco has terrible reliability, and they are exceedingly quick to blame you or your modem for any issues.

In my experience, when a problem does come up it can take a while to get resolved, but persistence and patience will get it resolved, and since a spate of issues I had a few months ago, my line retrains once every month or less -- usually because my local gateway locked up, or because the PPPoE server had to reboot. (neither of which is really a retrain because of a line or DSLAM issue.)

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I agree in essence with your opening statement. The reliability is hard to beat. However, CL and the other local telco cum cable company both use the same fiber in the same plant and the same tired 25-year old favorite ISP excuse: "it's your PC. Our servers are just fine" I call that bs when CLs _____ took a crap. Our local plant is unattended 23.5 hours daily during the week and wholly ignored 24 hours daily on weekends and holidays. So is how some shmo is NC that answers the phone a 3 am supposed to know this? He doesn't; his job is to lie and deny.

CLs immediate problem, is how it grew. From a small local office with a handful of local customers to a national telco with a footprint in 75% of the United States with a billion dollar inventory is quite remarkable in itself,. But, unlike Ma Bell, Century Telephone did not install its own lines and equipment. Instead it bought small, rural, the struggling, mom and pop, and the small locally owned family telephone companies in neighbor towns and neighbor states.

And Century hoped for the miracle when it switched the latest acquisition to the CL ystem. Some times they hit the big jack pot, but more time than not they "crap out" when the dice is rolled. And location is everything, anyway. So if you are in Las Vegas you might get the 45M down, but if you are in Bath, IL or Jay, OK you might be very lucky to pull 3M down, and if you are rural to these towns you might not even be able to pull 1.5 down.

Where I live every time a snow flake or a rain drop falls, the internet and ADSL wireline phones go on vacation. It is not a pleasant experience.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

said by linicx:

I agree in essence with your opening statement. The reliability is hard to beat. However, CL and the other local telco cum cable company both use the same fiber in the same plant and the same tired 25-year old favorite ISP excuse: "it's your PC. Our servers are just fine" I call that bs when CLs _____ took a crap. Our local plant is unattended 23.5 hours daily during the week and wholly ignored 24 hours daily on weekends and holidays. So is how some shmo is NC that answers the phone a 3 am supposed to know this? He doesn't; his job is to lie and deny.

CLs immediate problem, is how it grew. From a small local office with a handful of local customers to a national telco with a footprint in 75% of the United States with a billion dollar inventory is quite remarkable in itself,. But, unlike Ma Bell, Century Telephone did not install its own lines and equipment. Instead it bought small, rural, the struggling, mom and pop, and the small locally owned family telephone companies in neighbor towns and neighbor states.

And Century hoped for the miracle when it switched the latest acquisition to the CL ystem. Some times they hit the big jack pot, but more time than not they "crap out" when the dice is rolled. And location is everything, anyway. So if you are in Las Vegas you might get the 45M down, but if you are in Bath, IL or Jay, OK you might be very lucky to pull 3M down, and if you are rural to these towns you might not even be able to pull 1.5 down.

Where I live every time a snow flake or a rain drop falls, the internet and ADSL wireline phones go on vacation. It is not a pleasant experience.

My experience with CenturyLink has been positive both in Arizona and Ohio. They've been quick to fix (most) problems, and usually if it's something that requires a little more investigation then i can hound them into doing something usually through a local tech.

Although it may help that Qwest and Sprint really actually took care of their copper plants in the early 2000s and actually upgraded the DSL standards in their respective areas as well as laid fiber.

Hell, in Ohio i can still get 10/1 in the middle of nowhere most of the time as long as it's an ex Sprint/Embarq area, AT&T and Verizon/Frontier would still be leaving similar areas they served on 23.6kbps dialup or legacy 256kbps DSL (AT&T is really good for that one)

Honestly i'd take CenturyLink over AT&T or Verizon as my landline/DSL provider anyday as anytime i've used them they've just generally "worked"

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

Titus

I'm on the flip. Uptime is great. I can count on one hand how many times the service has been down more than an hour in the last 5 years and have fingers leftover. But the phone/chat support is worse. It used to be once a CSR understood that I'd done more than the minimum to diagnose the problem myself, they would suggest a service call or give me a ticket and tell me to call back in so many hours and maybe they'd have more information. Now, even after I've taken my backup modem and attached it the NID I'm getting nonsense about my provisioned speed being above 10M or a sales reach-around for DirecTv. I sure miss Joey & company on the board here.
xthepeoplesx
join:2013-10-21

xthepeoplesx to brad152

to brad152
brad152, in the last two weeks our area was out once each week for 24hrs+ in each circumstance. Just to give you an idea.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to brad152

Premium Member

to brad152
My experience is this. I am a handicap senior who MUST have a landline phone. When I have problems I simply contact my state PUC as CL seems to wholly ignore the problems in my less than 3000 resident community.

As to Internet, forget it.

No where in America is the telephone, or any other ISP, forced to guarantee quality, stability, speed, or reliability of any Internet service they provide. Nor is the cost controlled bv Congress. FCCs main function is to license communication for wireline, radio, television, cellular, and Ham Radio operators.

Congress has turned a blind eye to the antics of our very public communications net that ceased to be a primary military system many yeas ago. I've been playing with it for 25 years. First level support is no better today than was my first and worst provider who bluffed the public, and made a great deal of money doing it, until the day he died. The people who own these systems are still doing the same thing -- but to a new generation.

Mother often said, "There is nothing new under the son. It's already been perfected some place else by some one else. Enjoy it, use it, or move on. In the end it really makes no real difference what one person does - except to the 'person who does it'.

My personal opinion is when cost to use hits the moving target where the average Joe and Jane will no longer pay to play, a new affordable ? will be presented for public opinion. We will eventually be doing most of our social media and internet communicating not by satellite or by telephone, but by radio and microwave. It isn't new; both have been here before. They will be much bigger and much better than in the past.
MurphieNB
join:2008-09-17
Belton, TX

MurphieNB

Woo-Hoo. Checked my account online today, and I do finally qualify for faster internet! A whopping 4mbps compared to the 3mpbs that I currently get. Guess they were right after all.
xthepeoplesx
join:2013-10-21

xthepeoplesx

haha too funny MurphieNB . Congrats on that massive increase though! Mine is still holding steady, no upgrade yet .
ozar
Premium Member
join:2008-04-13
USA

ozar to xthepeoplesx

Premium Member

to xthepeoplesx
I've received those false advertisements from CenturyLink several times over the years and not once were they able to increase my speed, as advertised. In fact, I can't even get the speeds that I'm paying for a big part of the time, especially in the evening when my 10Mb/s speed drops back to dialup speeds. I was thinking it used to be against the law for companies to distribute false advertising, but maybe I'm wrong, or perhaps communications companies can do anything they want to consumers these days.

Hope you are able to upgrade eventually, though!
Hooper
Premium Member
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO

Hooper to xthepeoplesx

Premium Member

to xthepeoplesx
I didn't get an email as I don't have service with CL. I did get a flyer in the mail however. Looks like they are finally able to offer faster speeds here. With it came something about Prism TV. Really bizarre though. I could get one speed with TV and a higher speed only without TV. SMH
OOMJR
join:2011-02-09
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR to xthepeoplesx

to xthepeoplesx
I get these Promotions in the mail saying I can get 20M down when I already have 25/2...
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

said by OOMJR:

I get these Promotions in the mail saying I can get 20M down when I already have 25/2...

well the 25/2 is via pair-bonded, and the 20/1 is single pair. I wonder if they'll sell you the 40/2 tier now?
OOMJR
join:2011-02-09
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

Not sure. Right now they are working on getting their network at the Redback area of the network fixed(Should be fixed by the end of the year). After they fix that I may ask about it but I've been through so much negative experience starting with the 10m down service I used to have. Load issues at the redback, congestion. So on so forth.