join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Fix lawn mower?

Click for full size
good
Click for full size
broken
Can this be welded or better yet have jbweld put on it?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

1 recommendation

shdesigns

Premium Member

It can be welded. JB Weld will not hold.

Check Craigs list for a similar cheap mower you can steal the handle off of.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Could try this: »www.amazon.com/Fernco-FP ··· 00JD6JVC

Could also try aluminum foil tape or duct tape as well.

shdesigns
Premium Member
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

Neither of those will work as they are not designed to handle stresses.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Including foil tape?

guy54435
Premium Member
join:2003-02-19

guy54435 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Get a piece of flat bar that will fit inside handle, drill a couple holes insert a couple of bolts and that should work. Will work better if you can fit two bolts on each side of broken handle. Hope this helps.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by guy54435:

Get a piece of flat bar that will fit inside handle, drill a couple holes insert a couple of bolts and that should work. Will work better if you can fit two bolts on each side of broken handle. Hope this helps.

I'd do something similar but sleeve it around the outside with a length of close fitting pipe instead.

shdesigns
Premium Member
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

Including foil tape?

Foil tape has absolutely no strength.
modelamac7
join:2002-04-13
Waterford, MI

modelamac7 to fartness

to fartness
Slide a piece of pipe or conduit over the two pieces. Drill holes and insert bolts and nuts in each half.
That happened because of a combination of poor material and abuse. One set of wheels was not lifted to make sharp turns.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

1 recommendation

Pacrat to fartness

MVM

to fartness
The side you labeled as "good" looks, to me, as if it has already been welded. If it were me, I'd be looking for a new mower, or at least a new handle. Whatever you do other than that, it's a poor "stop gap" measure at best. You might want to Google the manufacturer, and see if you can purchase a new handle directly.
doechsli
join:2003-11-26
Louisville, KY

doechsli to fartness

to fartness
I had a handle break like that and my local mower shop had a piece of metal to slide over it. A couple of sheet metal screws and it was fixed. You could also do like someone above said and fix it with a piece of conduit.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to Pacrat

Premium Member

to Pacrat
said by Pacrat:

The side you labeled as "good" looks, to me, as if it has already been welded. If it were me, I'd be looking for a new mower, or at least a new handle.

+1. That bird-sh*t weld on the good side is clear enough, you need a new handle. Welding will hold for a while, a bolted-on brace or sleeve will likely work for a while, too, but a new handle would be the best idea.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
New handle if you can find one.

Probably a new mower.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to fartness

MVM

to fartness
Many mowers are made by MTD, replacement parts are pretty cheap.

You ought to be able to get one locally or:
»www.repairclinic.com/Sho ··· er-Parts

»www.mtdparts.com/equipme ··· n-mowers

Looks like the other side has already been repaired so probably time to replace the lower handle.

/tom
aereolis
join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON

aereolis to fartness

to fartness
If you strip all the paint off near the break on both parts, put some metal conduit (overlapping both parts at least 2-3") that fits nicely over the round part and flatten (hammer?) the other part to match it closely. Weld them up nicely. Clean off the slag. Lightly sand it all and paint. Appliance paint (stove - in spray can) would work nicely.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
are you in north jersey by any chance? I can weld that for you in a few minutes time. hit me with a PM
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

No Upstate NY. Thanks though.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to fartness

MVM

to fartness
What kind of lawn mower is it?
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

»Push mower oil change?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to fartness

MVM

to fartness
You might try a piece of angle iron and some pipe clamps. After that, see tag above.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

who cares let him repair it

I repair DVD recorders from 2002/3/4 and people pay BIG money to have them fixed more then the original retail price of them

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to fartness

Mod

to fartness
Someone with a welder could repair it in minutes.

horsey
@208.103.232.x

horsey to fartness

Anon

to fartness
Just get a new one. If you are anything like me the blade is dull haven't changed the oil in years etc.

Put a splint on it and carefully mow one last time.
They are on sale in my city now...gotta make room for the snow blowers
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to fartness

to fartness
said by fartness:

does your area have a solid waste depot thing, where you can take bulky items? I would have a look there for a crappy mower, handle is probably still good. How far upstate? i will be in the P-Burger this weekend i could bring you a handle from my old mower.

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist to fartness

to fartness
If using external pipe or inserting flat bar with bolts is not desired I know of one other "free" attempt at fixing the problem.

Cut off the bad part of the handle on both sides evenly, then use a large vice or other method to flatten four inches of the remaining handle and drill new mounting bolt hole on both sides and reinstall the slightly shorter handle.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to telco_mtl

to telco_mtl
said by telco_mtl:

said by fartness:

does your area have a solid waste depot thing, where you can take bulky items? I would have a look there for a crappy mower, handle is probably still good. How far upstate? i will be in the P-Burger this weekend i could bring you a handle from my old mower.

The towns around me might but in Rochester where I am, we're allowed to put anything at the street on trash pickup day.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by fartness:

said by telco_mtl:

said by fartness:

The towns around me might but in Rochester where I am, we're allowed to put anything at the street on trash pickup day.

Darn rochester is a little west of where im gonna be, Had i been in your neck of the woods. Try the mower shops, a lot of them have boneyards full of free crap. I know it seems silly to work on a broken mower, but if its got a briggs or tecumseh engine you could get 60 years out of it.

Danonyme
@66.158.148.x

Danonyme to fartness

Anon

to fartness
Easy. Put a metal rod inside, drill holes and screw everything together. A piece of broomstick should work too

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL

Astyanax to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
I'm sure your local mower shop guy has refurb mowers for 50 bucks or less that are as good as new. There are probably 5+ other things about to go wrong with that old mower of yours anyway. Not worth messing with.
RickWakeman
join:2013-06-23
Springfield, MA

RickWakeman to fartness

to fartness
I used to have a similar problem with the frame of the drivers seat of a car. No matter how much I splinted it, Jb welded it, taped it, etc.. it never worked. I ended up with a milk crate between the back of the seat and the back seat.