mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

[OOL] Kudos To Cablevision

Click for full size
Back in September I had posted about a large number of uncorrectables but I just checked today and I had zero uncorrectables in the last 37 days. In addition to this, not only are all of my signal levels excellent, but they are all balanced. Additionally my correcteds are quite low as well. I am unsure if this is Cablevision proactively running network health checks, as indicated in other posts and the recent earnings conference call or if it is because I am a SamKnows participant but this is fantastic work by Cablevision. It is nice to see an ISP take such a proactive approach to maintaining a network.

For those wondering, I am on Ultra and my speeds are well above the advertised rate.

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 20914468
marineofuac
join:2008-05-14
Bronx, NY

marineofuac

samknows = everything works for you without question or customer intervention.

bcronin
Premium Member
join:2004-03-27
Hyde Park, NY

1 recommendation

bcronin

Premium Member

A bit cynical, eh? I'm guessing your connection isn't great. My sympathies. For what its worth, I'm not running a samknows box and my connection has exhibited similar characteristics for many months, so its not just the samknows people who get great service.
--
bc

OptIn
@74.89.66.x

OptIn to marineofuac

Anon

to marineofuac
Click for full size
Click for full size
No Sam Knows and No issues.
Kudos to OOL.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to mbernste

to mbernste
Not all SK boxes are faring as well as you. We've had nothing but an increase in uncorrected lately. And tonight it's almost unusable. Posting this is all I've been able to get done tonight since I got home from work. So no, kudos are not in order. I've been posting my SK's and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why we're getting the crazy graphs.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

Click for full size
downstream speed sustained 10-1--11-21
Click for full size
udp packet loss 10-1--11-21
As you can see, it's been pretty good for me. Momcat1, I am guessing you have already gone through the Optimum Direct and Wilt routes to get your issues resolved?

Elite
Kiss My Ass
join:2002-10-03
New Haven, CT
Synology RT2600ac
TP-Link TC-7650
ARRIS SB8200

Elite to mbernste

to mbernste
Click for full size
Click for full size

Everything looks great over here too. My speeds have always been super consistent. I did however regularly get uncorrectables. Not anymore. Also spotted a new firmware running on my aging TM802G from about a month ago.

Note: I know my signals aren't the best obtainable, but I don't feel like rewiring the house at the moment.

Edit: That's the Ultra 50 tier.

OptIn
@74.89.66.x

OptIn

Anon

said by Elite:

"...new firmware running on my aging TM802G from about a month ago."

Looks like your last firmware revision was November 2013 (?)

Elite
Kiss My Ass
join:2002-10-03
New Haven, CT
Synology RT2600ac
TP-Link TC-7650
ARRIS SB8200

Elite to mbernste

to mbernste
While the firmware image itself may be almost a year old, the rollout was very recent.

OptIn
@74.89.66.x

OptIn

Anon

Well whaddya know, didn't even think to look there.
Got the revision 2 weeks ago.

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

1 edit

RickNY to marineofuac

Premium Member

to marineofuac
Click for full size
said by marineofuac:

samknows = everything works for you without question or customer intervention.

With SamKnows for quite some time now...

While I have no complaints about my OOL service, I'm getting a bit irritated at how long it is taking Cablevision to come up with a working firmware for the NDS CableCards used on Long Island that works properly with the Tivo Roamio Plus units with 6 tuners.. For the time, I've had to disable 2 of 6 tuners to prevent "Channel not authorized" messages.. Wilt says they are "close" -- but then again, he said that a few months ago as well when I first got the Roamio Plus.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by RickNY:

For the time, I've had to disable 2 of 6 tuners to prevent "Channel not authorized" messages..

I wonder what is special about Long Island? About a year ago I got a firmware update on my cable card that enabled all six tuners to work with the Roamio (including the premium channels). Before the update, only four of the six would work.

RickNY
Premium Member
Bellport, NY

RickNY

Premium Member

said by mbernste:

said by RickNY:

For the time, I've had to disable 2 of 6 tuners to prevent "Channel not authorized" messages..

I wonder what is special about Long Island?

We have an NDS conditional access system here, not SA/Cisco. Hence, NDS cards. I could be wrong, but I think Morris NJ may also be on NDS. If I had to guess -- the areas that were using Sony boxes prior to SA boxes are running NDS. (But it would be a guess)

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

Ah, that explains it then. One would think (or hope) that they upgrade your system to be like the rest of Cablevision's footprint, if nothing else then from an easier to support perspective.

RickNY
Premium Member
Bellport, NY

RickNY

Premium Member

I can enable 6 tuners -- but then run the risk of one of them randomly throwing a "Channel not authorized" on the tuner that is being utilized by the Mini in the bedroom on the other side of the house... Then it requires popping out the card and reinserting it and all is well again.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

1 edit

mbernste

MVM

said by RickNY:

I can enable 6 tuners -- but then run the risk of one of them randomly throwing a "Channel not authorized"

As I mentioned all six work for me including on the premium channels and I do not have the "not authorized" problem you have. It was an issue when I first got my Roamio in August 2013 but after the firmware update a few weeks later it was fixed. Considering that was over a year ago, I am surprised they haven't fixed it on your system yet with the NDS infrastructure.

PaulNY
@24.228.219.x

PaulNY to RickNY

Anon

to RickNY
Still happening to me too on the south shore of Nassau County. I added a TA which helped a lot, but I still occasionally get it and either reboot or re-insert the card.
said by RickNY:

I can enable 6 tuners -- but then run the risk of one of them randomly throwing a "Channel not authorized" on the tuner that is being utilized by the Mini in the bedroom on the other side of the house... Then it requires popping out the card and reinserting it and all is well again.