All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jcn9801
join:2014-03-31

jcn9801

[Networking] New FiOS Gateway router - what do I need for NAS 2TB+

Networking newbie here. It is time for me to address network storage. What is the best equipment, etc to do this and before ordering the new Quantum Gateway router? Have not tried this w Actiontec -- looked too intimidating.

Thanks in advance,
--JCN

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

A NAS device has nothing to do with the router. You need to ask your question in the networking forums.
jcn9801
join:2014-03-31

jcn9801

Sorry. I will re-post there. Thought I was asking about how easy or hard FiOS made this with the new router. My bad.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to jcn9801

MVM

to jcn9801
If you get a standalone device which contains the software and the drive, it should plug in and work just fine. If you're talking about using the Actiontec USB port to plug in a drive, forget about it, that'll never happen on any Verizon router equipment.

I found a 3TB Toshiba CanvioHome to store and stream video, works fine here but it isn't attached to Actiontec at all.
malves
join:2003-03-22
Westminster, CA

malves to jcn9801

to jcn9801
If you had an Actiontec that is Rev D or older you could use DD-WRT which would activate the USB port. Anything newer is locked up even if you own the Verizon router.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to jcn9801

Premium Member

to jcn9801
NAS is Network Attached Storage. It is just on your home network so devices on your home network can access it. I have several devices for storage on my home network giving me access to over One Hundred Forty Terabytes of storage on my Network. Mostly from three unRAID servers.