spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926

Refunds..

Well, with no more carriage fee's to Turner, Dish customers should see a DECREASE in their bills, right?

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

2 recommendations

maartena

Premium Member

said by ITALIAN926:

Well, with no more carriage fee's to Turner, Dish customers should see a DECREASE in their bills, right?

Not likely, because they have made other deals that would increase the price. They did say that without Turner channels, there would be no price hike for 2015.

The way I see it, is that cable/satellite companies have to start standing up against ridiculous price increases from the media companies. In some cases the price hike is double what they negotiated say 5 years ago, and in a few cases its 300%, even 600% with one company owning local channels in a dispute with DirecTV.

If the cable and satellite companies just continue to roll over and pay the price increase, your monthly bills will rise with unprecedented amounts.

Although I already dropped subscription TV, I am with the carriers on this. It's time that a stop is put to price gauging by the media companies, so "eff" them, black out the channels if you must.

And by the way: Despite what they will say, it is NEVER Dish/DirecTV/Cable that blacks out a channel, as they would have no interest in blacking it out to prove a point. It is ALWAYS the media company that withholds the signal. If Dish/DirecTV/Cable RECEIVES a signal, they will put it on air while they are negotiating.

And for the record, I am not just saying this because I no longer have DirecTV, when I had DirecTV I was 100% behind them as well with the big disputes such as Viacom, and some of the local channels (such as KTLA) when they were blacked out.

PlusOne
@50.182.138.x

PlusOne

Anon

said by maartena:

If the cable and satellite companies just continue to roll over and pay the price increase, your monthly bills will rise with unprecedented amounts.

Although I already dropped subscription TV, I am with the carriers on this. It's time that a stop is put to price gauging by the media companies, so "eff" them, black out the channels if you must.

And by the way: Despite what they will say, it is NEVER Dish/DirecTV/Cable that blacks out a channel, as they would have no interest in blacking it out to prove a point. It is ALWAYS the media company that withholds the signal. If Dish/DirecTV/Cable RECEIVES a signal, they will put it on air while they are negotiating.

And for the record, I am not just saying this because I no longer have DirecTV, when I had DirecTV I was 100% behind them as well with the big disputes such as Viacom, and some of the local channels (such as KTLA) when they were blacked out.

Plus One . Agree 100% with your attitude.

fed up 16
@76.5.174.x

fed up 16 to ITALIAN926

Anon

to ITALIAN926
if they take channels from us than we should be able to pay less on our bill---im tired of being in the middle of their games---this past summer we lost our local channel (news and weather) for over two months---nobody on either side cared about us as the consumer--it was all about the money in their pockets---and further more look at the amount of commercials on satellite tv now--its insane they make a killing and both sides keep screwing the subscribers---ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD
Ooma Telo

devolved to maartena

to maartena
said by maartena:

That's exactly what happened when WOW Cable was negotiating with Viacom a few months ago. The Viacom channels were still available to customers despite the deadline having passed. WOW basically said, "As long as we are getting a signal from Viacom we will keep them in our lineup".

I side with DiSH on this one. I was once a DiSH customer and I loved DiSH Network. I only wish I was able to have DiSH Network but my second story apartment faces east and part of the six-story building blocks the southern sky and the landlord wouldn't be happy if I asked to mount a dish on the property.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to fed up 16

to fed up 16
The counter argument is that they aren't the only channels raising their carriage fees. You don't see a price decrease because they had to renegotiate other channels as well. It's most likely that those channels only asked for modest increases (instead of obscene ones) but it still adds up. It probably prevents a price increase to deal with the increase in other carriage fees, but I can't see them dropping it as the cost of other channels goes up too.
asiatrails
asiatrails
join:2014-09-06

asiatrails to maartena

to maartena
Well said, I agree with you.