spc
Search similar:

uniqs

zvesda
@67.8.77.x

zvesda

Anon

[Internet] Brighthouse lightning 90

Hey guys! i just got lightning 90 and since im a huge gamer im super exited, my grandparents got it, and i live with them, my room is not to far, and i get 5 bars, they also installed 'echo' sadly im not getting 90, im getting about 20-30 and its sad, but its better than downloading at 500kb like before, now i get round 2mb

Is there anything i could do?
ShadowFoxBiH
join:2013-04-27
Port Richey, FL

ShadowFoxBiH

Which wireless standard are you on A/B/G/N/AC? You shouldn't be getting 30 but it depends on the signal and the WiFi radio on your desktop or laptop. You can hardwire yourself in to the router which will give you the fastest speed but if that's not an option you can get a wireless dongle and try using that if you laptop is old and only gets G.

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

paradigmfl to zvesda

to zvesda
Yes, I would first try to run an ethernet cord to it from your computer if possible in order to narrow down the problem. Then if it works better with that then the issue is likely related to the router. Next step is to verify the router is capable of the higher speeds. After that confirm settings and try things like changing channels (wireless interference can reduce performance).

zvesda
@67.8.77.x

zvesda to ShadowFoxBiH

Anon

to ShadowFoxBiH
I have a wireless N card for my desktop
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2

Hi, the ECHO equipment is capable of N 300 on both the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. My best guess is that you have a marginal N card in your desktop, but you need to do some research. If you have an Android device, install the WIFI Analizer app, it is free, and then open it up. This will give you a graphical representation of the wifi networks in your area and will let you see how congested any particular channel is, especially on the 2.4GHz band. You can also download and install, INSSIDER, on your Windows machine. Assuming you know what device ie, main router or Echo extender, you should see how may possible conflicting networks are on the same channel. The more signals you see on the device your desktop is connecting to, the more likely you have problems with "congestion", ie, overlaping signals degrade throughput. If you even think this is the issue, a simple fix would be to connect to the 5GHz band of the router or Echo extender. Hopefully, your desktop wifi card has dual bands, if so just try connecting to that band. The easiest way to determine if your card is dual band is to simply click on that little signal strength icon on the lower right, which should open a window with all the available wifi signals and see if there are any listed for the 5GHz band and try to connect to one for your router or Echo extender. Then test your wifi speed. If you need more help, post.

zvesda
@67.8.77.x

zvesda

Anon

Its a wireless-N 300mb card. Its good i know because its a gaming computer. I have a BHN tech coming in an hour or 2

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Just because it is in a "gaming computer" doesn't make it good. Most gamers would probably use a wired connection anyway.

GeNomer
join:2013-01-21
Indianapolis, IN

GeNomer to zvesda

to zvesda
First thing I would suggest is a speed test over ethernet to see how it compares to your wifi speed test results.

Zvesda
@67.8.77.x

Zvesda to neonhomer

Anon

to neonhomer
I used to use a Wired. Thanks
Zvesda

Zvesda to GeNomer

Anon

to GeNomer
We get 160 over ethernet, the cable guy didnt know what to do. He just said its because the wireless, then left

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

paradigmfl

said by Zvesda :

We get 160 over ethernet, the cable guy didnt know what to do. He just said its because the wireless, then left

lol This sounds just like them too so I believe it. He is probably right though in that the problem is related to the wireless side of things.

Can you tell us the make and model number of your router or is this all Brighthouse's equipment where you only have their modem/gateway?
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2 to Zvesda

to Zvesda
Zvesda,
Was my previous post a bit over your head? If so, just try to connect to the wireless on the 5GHz band from your desktop. The 5GHz band is usually much less congested and suffers from less interference.

Zvesda
@67.8.77.x

Zvesda

Anon

Nah i know what you mean, my wireless card isnt dual band, im buying a USB stick one, rated at 500mb dual band, should do the trick