BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Customer Owned Modems List Update

The list is now updated and the link has changed. Please make a note of it and check the list BEFORE you purchase a COE modem. Non-approved modems will not be activiated.

»support.brighthouse.com/ ··· ice-9109

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah

Premium Member

Docsis 2.0 modems no longer accepted it seems.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by telijah:

Docsis 2.0 modems no longer accepted it seems.

If you have one already fine... but going forward....

geo44
join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
The 2.0 modems I had always seemed dodgy to me anyways . When I was switched to the ubee 3201 , the problems went away. In this case Id say a good move on BH part.
kivlad
join:2014-08-05

kivlad to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Any technical detail behind the asterisk? Can't think of what limitations they would have off the top of my head.

Also I guess the Arris 167x is still an MSO exclusive.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by kivlad:

Any technical detail behind the asterisk? Can't think of what limitations they would have off the top of my head.

Yes... the wireless and other functions is a challenge technically because of the modem classification as an MSO only product. We have a fix in place for the wireless so it should not be an issue for most.
kivlad
join:2014-08-05

kivlad

I guess that explains me having the greyed out SSID broadcast option on my DDW3611. I've got my own router anyway.

But I thought the SBG6580 was retail too?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by kivlad:

I guess that explains me having the greyed out SSID broadcast option on my DDW3611. I've got my own router anyway.

I can fix that if you wish.... the SBG6580 retail is not an MSO device and is not impacted. Now if you get the MSO version of the 6580 (black box) that's different.
m3galinux
join:2014-01-21
Winter Springs, FL

m3galinux

Any info yet on what modems would be 300 capable? 6183 maybe? Going to buy a D3 modem soon-ish (and get off the Turbo20) and might as well get a slightly future-proof one.
cyong
join:2013-05-31
Winter Park, FL
pfSense SG-2440
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

cyong

said by m3galinux:

Any info yet on what modems would be 300 capable? 6183 maybe? Going to buy a D3 modem soon-ish (and get off the Turbo20) and might as well get a slightly future-proof one.

(note, speculation based on metrics... Not official, don't trust me, I do NOT work for BHN.....)

Theoretically, anything that can do at least 8 channels downstream (like the Motorola 6180 with 8, or the 6183 with 16) *should* be able to accommodate 300. Each channel can support (about) 40mbps downstream. 8*40 = 320

That said, I am probably buying a 6183 anyway because as you say.... future proofing. (Unless Gary shakes his head...)
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

Aprel

said by cyong:

Theoretically, anything that can do at least 8 channels downstream (like the Motorola 6180 with 8, or the 6183 with 16) *should* be able to accommodate 300. Each channel can support (about) 40mbps downstream. 8*40 = 320

But keep in mind BHN would like more "wiggle room". DOCSIS 2 can support up to 38 Mbps of usable throughput, but BHN requires a D3 modem for all Lightning tiers, including Lightning 30.
cyong
join:2013-05-31
Winter Park, FL
pfSense SG-2440
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

cyong

said by Aprel:

But keep in mind BHN would like more "wiggle room". DOCSIS 2 can support up to 38 Mbps of usable throughput, but BHN requires a D3 modem for all Lightning tiers, including Lightning 30.

yep. Which is why...
said by cyong:

hat said, I am probably buying a 6183 anyway because as you say.... future proofing.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to cyong

to cyong
said by cyong:

said by m3galinux:

(note, speculation based on metrics... Not official, don't trust me, I do NOT work for BHN.....)

That said, I am probably buying a 6183 anyway because as you say.... future proofing. (Unless Gary shakes his head...)

I just bought a 6183 for my new install next week. My previous Motorola Surfboard DOCSIS 2 modem lasted a very long time, I bought it actually back before the BHN/TWC split, and carried it with me when I moved to a Charter area and only deactivated it about 6 months ago when I got a 100mbps tier.

I expect the 6183 to last a similar amount of time, unless BHN forces an upgrade to DOCSIS 3.1. Even if they use DOCSIS 3.1 for higher tiers, I don't see me needing more than the current 150 plan or possibly the upcoming 300 plan. But, with 16 channels I am ready to go in case they ever go to 16 channel bonding, which is a good thing regardless of the tier you actually use.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to cyong

Premium Member

to cyong
said by cyong:

Yes however that does a number on those channels from a utilization perspective....so that isn't gonna be how that works

We are still a bit away from 300 so more on that when we get closer.
skatermike21
join:2012-09-08
Gibsonton, FL

skatermike21 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Just a note that can be confusing to some (I know it's minor, but it can happen)

It says towards the top of the page:

A DOCSIS 3.0 modem supports any level of service but is required for Turbo High Speed Internet and Lightning High Speed Internet.

but then in the chart the Netgear CMD31T is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem but doesn't support Lightning 150 so in turn it doesn't support any level of service and can potentially confuse someone if the just glance at the chart for their modem.