Search similar:

uniqs

Robert1010
Premium Member
join:2007-04-26
Philadelphia, PA

Robert1010

Premium Member

[Networking] Verizon MI424WR Users I need help from you.

I have asked this question several times but NEVER GOT A correct answer. I have been yelled at, and told it was my fault.
The speed i am provisioned at is 50Mbps down and 50Mbps up.
I speed I get on WIFI is 26/28, sitting next to the coax router. Always get a 100 signal, and tried every channel. There other routers on these channels, but there signal strength is very weak compared to my router.
Why when a turned off the wireless in the Verizon router. Then added a wireless router. the speed went up to 47/49.
Nothing else was changed and I have replaced the Verizon twice.
Please help me if you have this coax router, I want to know if other people have this problem too!
Thank You
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

You've been told several times before that there are a whole bunch of factors that go into the speed you get from a Wi-Fi router. Obviously your replacement router is a better router, so what's the issue with just sticking with the replacement you bought?

Robert1010
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

Robert1010

Premium Member

I just want to know why. Why is the fios router/gateway causing a problem. They are a big company, and should not have any problems with there equipment.
I do not wish to piss anyone off. Please forgive me if I did.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

What rev of the Verizon router do you have?, it sound like you have a rev a-d which is "G" speeds only

I have and Actiontech "I" , no issues
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj to Robert1010

Premium Member

to Robert1010
It's not "causing a problem", and 99%+ of all of Verizon's FiOS customers have no issues with it. It just so happens that in the environment you're in and with the mix of equipment you have, you're not satisfied with it. Really there's no PROBLEM as it is, as, and I know this was mentioned to you before, Verizon is not obligated to deliver you advertised speed WIRELESSLY. If you recall, not too long ago, most ISPs provided no Wi-Fi routers at all. You'd be completely on your on as to figuring out how you'd get one and connect it to your ISP's existing equipment. If you're not happy with the equipment they provide you, either purchase better equipment, which you already have, or cancel service. Most people have absolutely no problems with the equipment Verizon is providing.

Robert1010
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

Robert1010 to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
Mine is rev I. what is your provisioned speed? Can you get the full/near speed WIFI?
Robert1010

Robert1010 to gadgetboyj

Premium Member

to gadgetboyj
Again I am sorry for ticking you off. I just don't understand how I can get a 100% signal and low throughput. Maybe my head is thick. But when I had a dsl gateway every thing in the house is exactly the same.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

1 edit

2 recommendations

guppy_fish to Robert1010

Premium Member

to Robert1010
The Actiontech is a 20mhz, single stream "N" , make sure running in "performance mode", otherwise, the router is in mixed mode and speeds get cut in half when you have N and G devices around it.

Your new router likely is using either wide 40mhz channels ( wiping out your neighbors and there probably wonder what changed ), more streams/antennas or 5 ghz to get your 50mhz. Typical for single band "N" routers is mid 30's

Seriously, you need to do some reading on wireless and this as absolutely nothing to do with FIOS which is what this forum is for.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IE ··· 11n-2009

And last tip about wireless, the effective data-rate is about 50% of the raw stream, wireless uses forward error correction which as almost a 50% performance hit in throughput and ANY nearby traffic will have a huge impact in throughput, weak or not, it causes bits to drop.
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

1 recommendation

hubrisnxs to Robert1010

to Robert1010
I don't have this problem myself, in fact I get quite good speeds averaging 50-68, on the 75/75 plan.

If you want a REAL nice REAL thorough explanation of ALL the factors that go into it, you will want to read this, and Mayhap there is something in there that will ring a bell for you that wasn't discussed previously.

»forums.verizon.com/t5/Fi ··· p/534451
hubrisnxs

hubrisnxs to Robert1010

to Robert1010
your dsl gateway was not likely installed in your basement. your fios router is normally installed in your basement.

Are they in fact even in the same room, and same location?

that would be REALLY unlikely unless you moved it

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

1 recommendation

More Fiber to Robert1010

MVM

to Robert1010
Just because your device is showing it is receiving a 100% signal, that does not mean the Actiontec is receiving a 100% signal from your device. Receive and transmit performance can be very different.

The Actiontec is widely known (at least in this forum) for having weak wireless performance but as other have said, that is very dependent on a wide varienty of factors, including neighbors, devices, walls, microwaves, etc.
said by Robert1010:

I had a dsl gateway every thing in the house is exactly the same.

No, everything is not the same. The router's wireless component is different than what you had with DSL. And obviously you didn't have anywhere near the WAN speed you have with FIOS, so you would never have noticed slow wireless performance.

Robert1010
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

Robert1010 to hubrisnxs

Premium Member

to hubrisnxs
both the fios and dsl routers are in exactly the same place. In the basement.
Robert1010

Robert1010 to More Fiber

Premium Member

to More Fiber
I keep learning more from all you guys. Thanks

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to Robert1010

MVM

to Robert1010
When you are using wireless on the Actiontec, do all the devices showing as connected correspond to what you expect? Same for the Asus? Try only one and verify it is what you expect. Check driver settings on the laptop to ensure it matches the Actiontec performance setting.

I know it was mentioned previously to make sure drivers were current. If the Asus works better, there you go.

Actually, many people who had problems with wireless did exactly what you say worked. They got a different router. My Actiontec is ready to put in place just in case it's needed for troubleshooting. I have an Asus as primary with plenty of coverage and speed on my 50/50.

Robert1010
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

Robert1010

Premium Member

I have tried it with more laptops on the speed slows down as expected. With the ASUS the speed is almost 50/50. I am glad I am not the only one who has this problem. I was told by Verizon to get a WiFi router. Or wait till the new Verizon coax router comes out but it would cast me 159.99.
Robert1010

Robert1010 to birdfeedr

Premium Member

to birdfeedr
I changed from 20 to 40 and the speed on my laptop went up to 58/61.
WOW!
Expand your moderator at work
spc111
NJ

1 recommendation

spc111 to Robert1010

to Robert1010

Re: [Networking] Verizon MI424WR Users I need help from you.

20 to 40 what? Complaints to Verizon support?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

Probably channel width from 20mhz to 40. Does the Rev.I do that? I know the Asus can, probably by default.

Robert1010
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

Robert1010

Premium Member

I suspect there is a service menu, that I don't know how to access.
! changed the ASUS router to 40mhz. Wow what a difference in speed, so much faster. Much faster than the provisioned speed.
I want to thank all the nice people who educated me, without yelling at me.