All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

heyyahblah
join:2009-02-01
Mississauga, ON

heyyahblah

[DSL] Random Question about BELL VDSL tiers ....

Hey ... I know this question is just kind of random, but regarding BELL tiers vs Rogers if they wanted to compete.

I was just reading around and noticed that most people that cant get 50mbps but can get 25mbps their lines usually tap out at around 35-36mbps distance wise and that is why BELL or wholesale will not sell 50mbps tier because of too low speed, like how they wont sell if 10mbps upload is less then 7mbps.

Just wondering instead of having 25/10 and 50/10 for the same prices BELL (not sure what whole-sale pays) couldn't they offer the same as ROBBERS? 30/10 and 60/10 tier.

I mean what is the overhead loss on VDSL2 these days? Is it around 10% or less? Because in order to get you on a 50/10 profile they sync you at like 53400/11200 ish around there give or take.

So like how robbers offers 30/5, BELL could technically match and do 30/10 because I'm sure they could set the profile at like 33400/11200 and you could get famously (up to 30mbps).

Then their next tier up, couldn't they do like 55~60mbps? I know my line maxes out at 64000 and change, so technically they could do a 55mbps profile on the downstream or almost an (up to) 60mbps, say ... if line maxes out at 64000 ish could be a sync at 62000, or 61000 and get around 58mbps?

or do around 60000 and profiles would be around 55~56mbps real world. I notice that most users that can access the VDSL2 tier, their lines max out at 60-70 mbps I've gone through some posts, so competitive wise .... to ROBBERS and to benefit wholesalers (like teksavvy) I'm sure they could easily offer those speeds at the same prices they are now, hell even BELL wouldn't loose out because their CAP is slightly higher then ROGERS, unless you pay the extra $15 to add more bandwidth.

so instead of doing like 5, 15, 25, 50, 175(FTTH) ... couldn't they be smart and do it like TEK?

7/1, then 15/1 (or 16/1) = ADSL2
30/10 then 55~60/10 = VDSL2 ....

wouldn't take make more sense? Because yea 25 to 50 is a difference of 25mbps I get it. But then do 30 to 55 thats still a 25mbps difference. Or 30 and up to 60mbps.

I am sure most lines on the 50/10 profile would be able to do (up to 60mbps) ...

just my 2 cents.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

60meg isn't really possible on stinger remotes, or it would very significantly reduce the availability and stability for those even able to get it. The Stinger remotes have a theoretical max of 68meg.

Its definitely possible on the 7330 remotes, which have up 100meg, but I doubt Bell would split the availability and speed offerings, especially that the Stingers dominate two large markets (Toronto & Montreal).

heyyahblah
Mississauga, ON

heyyahblah

Ahh I understand. Thanks for the explanation there. So since stingers have a max of 68mbps is that why my line reports a max of 64mbps?

But for the stingers, cant they do, 7/1 instead of 5/1 for people that want low end, and 30/10 instead of 25/10 for the mid ranged users?

Still keep the high end at 50/10 or do you think 55/10 would be possible to keep a stable sync?
lowping
join:2013-08-04

lowping

said by heyyahblah:

Ahh I understand. Thanks for the explanation there. So since stingers have a max of 68mbps is that why my line reports a max of 64mbps?

But for the stingers, cant they do, 7/1 instead of 5/1 for people that want low end, and 30/10 instead of 25/10 for the mid ranged users?

Still keep the high end at 50/10 or do you think 55/10 would be possible to keep a stable sync?

For your stingers question, yes. Since stinger only supports 12a vs 7330 supports 17a profiles.

They also have the issue of FibeTv, I'm pretty sure Bell would rather push for more HD stream then Internet speed.

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle to heyyahblah

to heyyahblah
I see your post was cross-posted to the Bell forum, and I wrote quite a long reply, so see here: »Re: [Internet] Random Question about BELL VDSL tiers .... (from guy)

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to heyyahblah

Premium Member

to heyyahblah
Sure Bell could offer 30/10 (with the appropriate higher sync for overhead).

They can make any sync rate they want in between.

heyyahblah
Mississauga, ON

heyyahblah to squircle

to squircle
I just noticed, someone borrowed my post. Meh, not a big deal.

I'm gonna go have a read over there. I was just asking for an explanation thats all. I mean it would be more ideal for a 30/10 profile for a majority of users. I just wanted to see if 60/10 could be offered. If it was a possibility.

I would be totally fine with a 30/10 profile.
heyyahblah

heyyahblah to HiVolt

to HiVolt
Thanks, Volt, I was curious as to what they could possibly offer.

Tek should do that

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by heyyahblah:

Thanks, Volt, I was curious as to what they could possibly offer.

Tek should do that

Would be nice, but they can't offer any packages or sync rates that Bell doesn't use themselves...

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

60meg isn't really possible on stinger remotes, or it would very significantly reduce the availability and stability for those even able to get it. The Stinger remotes have a theoretical max of 68meg.

Its definitely possible on the 7330 remotes, which have up 100meg, but I doubt Bell would split the availability and speed offerings, especially that the Stingers dominate two large markets (Toronto & Montreal).

In my area there are OSLAM's and 7330's. I had one of each installed for a while.

Same line distance to the same remote cabinet... the 7330 at 17a was theoretical max'd at like 85/35. The OSLA is like 65/12 at 12a.

heyyahblah
Mississauga, ON

heyyahblah

Thanks for the nfo guys. But Volt, how can Teksavvy offer 7/1 and 10/1 if BELL doesn't offer it? They only offer 5/1 and 15/1 ... ?

Couldn't Tek do that with the other VDSL tiers then?
lowping
join:2013-08-04

3 edits

lowping

said by heyyahblah:

Thanks for the nfo guys. But Volt, how can Teksavvy offer 7/1 and 10/1 if BELL doesn't offer it? They only offer 5/1 and 15/1 ... ?

Couldn't Tek do that with the other VDSL tiers then?

Those are old profiles, Bell offered those speed at some point.

It's probably in the CRTC tarifs for wholesales that can still use these profiles.

Some thing like this:

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archi ··· -703.htm (there's probably an updated version somewhere)

30/10 is not a profile that exist.

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle

Here's a spreadsheet that outlines the speed tiers Bell offers to wholesalers and what they cost (click on the Bell tab at the bottom): »docs.google.com/spreadsh ··· =sharing