Search similar:

uniqs
ziptaco
join:2014-01-25

ziptaco to WJThomas

to WJThomas

Re: Coming Soon!! BHTV 3.0

said by WJThomas:

Well, the last Apple device that I bought was declared obsolete by Apple less than 9 months after I bought it. Apple stopped providing updated and insisted that I needed to purchase a new device that had the exact same hardware as my obsolete device (just newer firmware). It was the last Apple device that I will ever purchase.

This seems pretty unreal. Could you share which Apple device was declared obsolete by Apple just 9 months after its release?

What you are describing is more common with Android when you use non-Google phone. Because of the fragmentation of Android manufacturers could or could not update you to the latest software. Very very uncommon if not unreal from Apple where there is no fragmentation of the software.

PacketHauler
Premium Member
join:2014-04-11
Rockledge, FL

PacketHauler to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
Extremely happy to see that this is being released on the Kindle Fire HD ecosystem!
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

Aprel to ispalten

to ispalten
said by ispalten:

WHY doesn't Direct TV (new ads say you can watch it anywhere) have the same concern?

I've wondered this as well.

My completely uneducated guess is because of the distribution mechanism. Since you're subscribing to video distributed by satellite, that's a legal loophole that you're entitled to watch it anywhere, but since cable is fixed to one location, you're only entitled to the service when at that location.

Actually typing that out makes me believe it less tho....

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to WJThomas

to WJThomas
said by WJThomas:

Well, the last Apple device that I bought was declared obsolete by Apple less than 9 months after I bought it. Apple stopped providing updated and insisted that I needed to purchase a new device that had the exact same hardware as my obsolete device (just newer firmware). It was the last Apple device that I will ever purchase.

What model iPhone? What you describe has not happened. If any model of an iOS device is still getting updates, then you can update it to the latest version. There's no "firmware" restriction within models of iOS devices.
ispalten
join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

ispalten to Aprel

to Aprel
said by Aprel:

My completely uneducated guess is because of the distribution mechanism. Since you're subscribing to video distributed by satellite, that's a legal loophole that you're entitled to watch it anywhere, but since cable is fixed to one location, you're only entitled to the service when at that location.

Well, it may just be that BHTV is just catching up. »www.directv.com/technolo ··· erywhere gives more details. It seems it is LIMITED channels you can watch anywhere.

It does have more features though on the DVR device. A 'GenieGo' that allows you to watch you DVR recordings.

Also I've seen on TV you can 'throw' what you see on the tablet/phone to a TV. Probably requires a TV app or something like Chromecast/Amazon Fire/Roku.

I guess since BHTV will now allow limited viewing of some channels anywhere and DirectTV has had this for a long time it was no a legal issue but one of creating the app to handle this. After all, I have HBO Go, Showtime, and other channels available to me using THEIR apps and I use my MYBRIGHTHOUSE login to be able to see them. Hence no reason for BHTV to have that restriction.
WJThomas
join:2014-10-15
Largo, FL

WJThomas to ziptaco

to ziptaco
said by WJThomas:

said by ziptaco:

This seems pretty unreal. Could you share which Apple device was declared obsolete by Apple just 9 months after its release?

What you are describing is more common with Android when you use non-Google phone. Because of the fragmentation of Android manufacturers could or could not update you to the latest software. Very very uncommon if not unreal from Apple where there is no fragmentation of the software.

said by mixdup:

What model iPhone? What you describe has not happened. If any model of an iOS device is still getting updates, then you can update it to the latest version. There's no "firmware" restriction within models of iOS devices.

Read my post again, I said Apple device. I did not say iPhone! I also said less than 9 months after I bought it. I did not say 9 months after the release.

I bought the 160GB iPod Classic and somewhere less than 9 months later Apple upgraded the Classic line such that the maximum capacity was 120GB. Other than that the hardware was the same. The difference was that the firmware implemented the Genius playlists. The firmware update was not provided for my now obsolete (but identical) hardware. I could buy a new iPod, but then I would also have to buy a new car charger also, as the aftermarket car charger that I had purchased was not licensed to charge the new hardware with the identical connector. This was confirmed with a friend's iPod Classic.

For some reason Apple gets a free pass for abandoning users and Google gets a bad name when most of the time it is the service providers or manufacturers that abandon the devices not Google.

I have several B&N Nook Colors that came with a severely skinned version of Android 2.2 (Froyo), but the user community with updates from Google has been able to keep this old hardware current I have have Android 4.4 (KitKat) running on it just fine.
ziptaco
join:2014-01-25

1 edit

ziptaco

said by WJThomas:

Read my post again, I said Apple device. I did not say iPhone! I also said less than 9 months after I bought it. I did not say 9 months after the release.

I bought the 160GB iPod Classic and somewhere less than 9 months later Apple upgraded the Classic line such that the maximum capacity was 120GB. Other than that the hardware was the same. The difference was that the firmware implemented the Genius playlists. The firmware update was not provided for my now obsolete (but identical) hardware. I could buy a new iPod, but then I would also have to buy a new car charger also, as the aftermarket car charger that I had purchased was not licensed to charge the new hardware with the identical connector. This was confirmed with a friend's iPod Classic.

Well, that makes sense. I would not expect an iPod Classic to run iOS 8 but, that's just me. The same way that if I buy a brand new never used IBM T23 with a Pentium III I wouldn't expect it to run Windows 8.1 or if I buy a Motorola Razr I wouldn't expect it to run the latest Android. But, that is just me.

I really don't think Apple gets a free pass where Google doesn't. You see, Android is open when iOS is not. They are two different monsters. Google's does allow for the fragmentation of the Android OS, they actually encourage it because it is beneficial for them. You say Google doesn't get a free pass like apple when manufacturers abandon the devices. When people complaint about their Samsung, HTC, et al. Android devices not being updated, they are not complaining about Google, they are complaining about the manufacturers. So the whole free pass claim you make really doesn't apply.

You really can't compare one thing to the other as they are not the same. You keep your locked devices updated via community updates which is cool but, its only happening because it is open software. Normally when people buy "stuff" the research what they are buying into. If you are an Apple brand fan, they know its locked. If you are an Android fan you know the only way to go if you want to stay up to date is Google direct.

Berniefl37
@67.8.32.x

Berniefl37 to ispalten

Anon

to ispalten
Directv and dish have been doing this or had this app for a long time so it's no surprise that Brighthouse has to catchup again,, they are always the last in line,,,still waiting for watch tbs and watch tnt and try tv app to have bright house provider login access 3 years later
royfussell
join:2014-03-29
Daytona Beach, FL

royfussell to neonhomer

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

So we can now use a rooted device? Would have worked for me a year ago when I had a phone that was rooted.... Now I'm lucky if I can get the damn app to stay running longer than 5 minutes before it crashes.

If you're rooted, put on xposed, and use one of the the root-hider modules.
Worked before, but can't test now as my LG G3 isn't supported due to QHD screen resolution.

GeNomer
join:2013-01-21
Indianapolis, IN

GeNomer to ispalten

to ispalten
said by ispalten:

said by Aprel:

Well, it may just be that BHTV is just catching up. »www.directv.com/technolo ··· erywhere gives more details. It seems it is LIMITED channels you can watch anywhere.

It does have more features though on the DVR device. A 'GenieGo' that allows you to watch you DVR recordings.

Also I've seen on TV you can 'throw' what you see on the tablet/phone to a TV. Probably requires a TV app or something like Chromecast/Amazon Fire/Roku.

I guess since BHTV will now allow limited viewing of some channels anywhere and DirectTV has had this for a long time it was no a legal issue but one of creating the app to handle this. After all, I have HBO Go, Showtime, and other channels available to me using THEIR apps and I use my MYBRIGHTHOUSE login to be able to see them. Hence no reason for BHTV to have that restriction.

My understanding is that is really a matter of getting permission in their carriage agreements with content providers. Providers will probably want more money for them to allow streaming anywhere, just like they do for DVRs. Maybe the providers want too much, maybe it's reasonable and Brighthouse is just too cheap to pay it. Maybe they're waiting to see higher usage of the app by customers before they shell out the extra money.
jaredst
join:2014-09-14
United State

jaredst

Can anyone confirm weather the copy protection byte has been removed from channels that you can watch out of home? I baught a Tivo because the Brighthouse app has poor accessibility for blind users like me who use it on IOS and Tivo is much better. If you can now watch a channel on the Brighthouse app out of home I would expect the copy protection byte to be lifted but I will probably be disappointed.

Berniefl37
@107.72.164.x

Berniefl37

Anon

Do the VOD and movies work over lte and 4g,, I'm just getting a loading screen,,, live tv is working fine

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
Update is in the Apple App Store ready for download!
sestrada
Premium Member
join:2012-11-05
U.S.A.

sestrada

Premium Member

A step backwards.

It wants me to disable my proxy to work.

No thanks

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

said by sestrada:

A step backwards.

No thanks

Hasn't this been the case for a while now? I thought that was added to avoid people creating a proxy for their home network and being able to view all channels from outside their network (with the app thinking they're at home).
yimitz
join:2012-09-21
Livonia, MI

yimitz to gigahurtz

to gigahurtz
said by gigahurtz:

Update is in the Apple App Store ready for download!

Android version is up too.
sestrada
Premium Member
join:2012-11-05
U.S.A.

sestrada to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
-- Hasn't this been the case for a while now?

no
ispalten
join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

ispalten to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Click for full size
Well I got it and On-Demand has some problems, see screen capture from the iPad.

Locks appear on SOME programming. Looks like ALL Fox and some extra cost stations like Epix, Showtime, and Starz.

Problem is I DO have Showtime and of course the standard Fox. Live TV does show these stations, and YES, I am on my HOME NETWORK WIRELESS service, not cellular.

Does ANYONE test this stuff?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to sestrada

Premium Member

to sestrada
said by sestrada:

-- Hasn't this been the case for a while now?

no

Yes it has....for a very long time actually.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
said by gigahurtz:

said by sestrada:

A step backwards.

No thanks

Hasn't this been the case for a while now? I thought that was added to avoid people creating a proxy for their home network and being able to view all channels from outside their network (with the app thinking they're at home).

Yes it has for a very long time now.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to ispalten

Premium Member

to ispalten
said by ispalten:

Well I got it and On-Demand has some problems, see screen capture from the iPad.

Locks appear on SOME programming. Looks like ALL Fox and some extra cost stations like Epix, Showtime, and Starz.

Problem is I DO have Showtime and of course the standard Fox. Live TV does show these stations, and YES, I am on my HOME NETWORK WIRELESS service, not cellular.

Does ANYONE test this stuff?

See your PM.
bighorn1
Premium Member
join:2004-06-19
BD, CA

bighorn1

Premium Member

said by BHNtechXpert:

See your PM.

I have the same, lots of "On Demand" content is locked, including content from CBS, ABC and NBC.

If locked, why is it displayed at all? It should be filtered out.
Art Deco
join:2011-04-27

Art Deco to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Updated it now on the iPad, and once I selected the "recently viewed" filter, that list is the only channel list I can pull up, I can't get the full channel list to appear. I even force-quit the app and re-started it and have the same problem.

Also, the "channel blocking" dialogue box pops up EVERY time I open the app, which is bothersome.

EDIT: Ah, I figured it out, I have to uncheck the "recently viewed" filter to get the full list to appear. While I appreciate that we now have 10 recently viewed channels to select from and it remembers it from previous sessions, the implementation leaves a lot to be desired - on the previous version we could just touch an icon or button in the upper right corner to pull it down without messing with the full channel list.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to bighorn1

Premium Member

to bighorn1
said by bighorn1:

said by BHNtechXpert:

See your PM.

I have the same, lots of "On Demand" content is locked, including content from CBS, ABC and NBC.

If locked, why is it displayed at all? It should be filtered out.

I always marvel at the guys who post all of the things you hate before giving the App an hour two of use....completely ignoring the FACT that you didn't have access to this content or these features at all in previous versions.

I will say it one time and then take it up when I get back. Not all content will be available @home or @away - this is a living list and will grow over time. In the meantime just enjoy it and give everyone a break from the negative stuff just long enough for people to get the App downloaded and use it a bit....

If you must make a hate list save it for when I return and we can discuss it and also give you more indepth information.
bighorn1
Premium Member
join:2004-06-19
BD, CA

2 recommendations

bighorn1

Premium Member

said by BHNtechXpert:

I always marvel at the guys who post all of the things you hate before giving the App an hour two of use....completely ignoring the FACT that you didn't have access to this content or these features at all in previous versions.

It's not about not having an access to programing. It's about BAD DESIGN to display content I can't watch.

It's NOT hate, It's FEEDBACK!
said by BHNtechXpert:

If you must make a hate list save it for when I return and we can discuss it and also give you more indepth information..

Again, not a hate issue. It just doesn't make sense to display "locked" content, especially if it's so much of it. It's a clutter, to say it mildly.
WJThomas
join:2014-10-15
Largo, FL

WJThomas to ziptaco

to ziptaco
said by ziptaco:

Well, that makes sense. I would not expect an iPod Classic to run iOS 8 but, that's just me. The same way that if I buy a brand new never used IBM T23 with a Pentium III I wouldn't expect it to run Windows 8.1 or if I buy a Motorola Razr I wouldn't expect it to run the latest Android. But, that is just me.

LOL, where has it been said that I was trying to load IOS 8 on my iPod Classic. What I did say was Apple declared a model change with no hardware changes, then denied the available OS updates to those with the older model. There was no technical reason that the new OS could not run on the old model, it was the SAME hardware.
said by ziptaco:

I really don't think Apple gets a free pass where Google doesn't. You see, Android is open when iOS is not. They are two different monsters. Google's does allow for the fragmentation of the Android OS, they actually encourage it because it is beneficial for them. You say Google doesn't get a free pass like apple when manufacturers abandon the devices. When people complaint about their Samsung, HTC, et al. Android devices not being updated, they are not complaining about Google, they are complaining about the manufacturers. So the whole free pass claim you make really doesn't apply.

You really can't compare one thing to the other as they are not the same. You keep your locked devices updated via community updates which is cool but, its only happening because it is open software. Normally when people buy "stuff" the research what they are buying into. If you are an Apple brand fan, they know its locked. If you are an Android fan you know the only way to go if you want to stay up to date is Google direct.

Nobody is complaining about the real fragmentation that does exit in the Apple world. Many are complaining about the fragmentation that exists in the Android world, when most of the time it is not really fragemntation, but really a matter of obsolete hardware being left behind. People equate Android with Google. And yes, Apple gets a free pass while Google does not.

This is off topic and I will refrain from any more replies from people who cannot accept reality.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to bighorn1

Premium Member

to bighorn1
said by bighorn1:

said by BHNtechXpert:

It's not about not having an access to programing. It's about BAD DESIGN to display content I can't watch.

It's NOT hate, It's FEEDBACK!
said by BHNtechXpert:

If you must make a hate list save it for when I return and we can discuss it and also give you more indepth information..

Again, not a hate issue. It just doesn't make sense to display "locked" content, especially if it's so much of it. It's a clutter, to say it mildly.

I will create a feedback thread when I get back...and I will take all of it in and upward. In the meantime please just do me a favor and perhaps consider using this thread for the things you like.....

What I really would like to hear about now however are situations where the App crashes or does not run at all...these are things I need now....not this other stuff. I will check in every once in a while and gather the info and get it to the right people.
thischucks
join:2012-11-12
Dunnellon, FL

thischucks

Its a pretty sweet new feature if you ask me, no complaints here with it. Runs really nice on the iPad. Enjoy the holiday and thanks for your support this past year.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
This is an update that is moving the app in the right direction. The on-demand access in the app is a huge step forward. I hope that one day we can have access to our DVR recorded content but I understand the complexities that come with that type of setup.

Regardless, this app will continue to move in the right direction. I too have the locked content in VOD on channels I subscribe too but I'm confident this will get opened up over time as it's likely just negotiations with the providers to get this taken care of.

Great work BH!

tlg
Premium Member
join:2001-08-23
Melbourne, FL

tlg to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
I can't get any sound, live or VOD.

Nexus 7 (ver 2) running lollipop. Uninstalled & reinstalled with no change. Locked, unrooted device.

Any tips to try to fix?