spc
Search similar:

uniqs

plsmrvll
@99.26.146.x

plsmrvll

Anon

RG Battery Backup Fault

The Belkin battery backup (BU3DC000-12V) randomly "faults", shutting the system down, on a daily basis. It is NOT the battery, it's a solid red light/alarm. The battery was replaced as a hopeful solution to no avail.

I've tried plugging it in different locations, same result. Other electronics (including computer & printer) are working properly.

Any suggestions as to the cause? How to resolve?? I don't have a power cord to directly plug the gateway in (wasn't provided), so I'm hoping for a quick fix!!

Thanks in advance.

Pat

billyg
@108.64.75.x

billyg

Anon

the new battery is showing red for the ac light? There is a switch on the back that should be turned to on and they take about 18 hours to fully charge but the ac light should be green if it's plugged into a working wall outlet. You can take the back plate off and slide the battery out make sure the two terminal posts are connected to the battery but it doesn't sound like that is your problem. You need a transformer with specific amps/watts to power your RG.... I am sure a tech can bring you one tomorrow... all tho not a quick fix

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts to plsmrvll

Anon

to plsmrvll
You are provided one unit with installation...
The repair and replacement per TOS is your responsibilty...
A new unit may be ordered from Belkin $129.99
Used units are available online thru normal bid type sites but offer no warranty.

A new power cord and power brick can be ordered from Uverse website...
$7+$10 or $17. The power brick is 12v 3 amp or 36 watts.
my thoughts

my thoughts

Anon

While you can request a tech service call... as the Belkin is now considered your personal equipment this should incur a $99 tech service call if standard dispatch or $149 service call if dispatch on demand.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U to plsmrvll

Premium Member

to plsmrvll
»AT&T U-Verse FAQ »Battery Backup Info

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

My CO powered POTS line is looking better and better every day.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to plsmrvll

Premium Member

to plsmrvll
Regarding the battery being the user's responsibility. Isn't having battery backup on the voice line a FCC requirement? If so shouldn't the better replacement then become the responsibility of AT&T?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Funny, right on the front page.

»FCC Moves to Protect 911 As Telcos Hang up on POTS, DSL Users [64] comments

Keoway
Premium Member
join:2009-08-29
Seneca, SC

Keoway to my thoughts

Premium Member

to my thoughts
said by my thoughts :

A new power cord and power brick can be ordered from Uverse website...
$7+$10 or $17. The power brick is 12v 3 amp or 36 watts.

At the time of original install in 2009, the Premises Tech only supplied/left the BBU* coupled to the 3800HGV RG. Under this scenario, will T provide a power cord/brick for free, if the customer is OK with having a service outage when the electrical service is down?

* the black Belkin BBU - Were these ever subject to a recall because of a safety issue?

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts

Anon

It is possible the OP originally had a VoIP line and canceled later, therefore no need for BBU as no VoIP.

While I would not speak directly what any company may or may not do, the understanding is the company will take responsibility for first 30 days after install, after the 30 days the housing wiring and any provided equipment the customer is not paying a monthly lease fee is their responsibility. This would include remotes, BBU, power cords, etc.

If the customer could show they have been charged a line fee (RG HSIA, receivers, etc) for the BBU say $2 per month, it would seem company is responsible, however there is no fee charged and the TOS (which no one ever seems to read) clearly state customer responsibility. Earlier in the TOS it states....

"By enrolling in, activating, using, or paying for the Services, you agree to the terms and conditions in these TOS, including but not limited to the prices, charges, and terms and conditions provided to you in marketing and informational materials associated with the Services and on the AT&T U-verse website, all of which are incorporated herein by reference. If you do not agree to all of the aforementioned terms and conditions, do not use the Services, and cancel the Services immediately by calling AT&T at 1-800-288-2020."

Concerning the black BBU (REV A), they were designed to function with the 2wire 3600, 3800.
When the 3801 was released the power draw was greater which results in uneven performance, in 1st quarter of 2012, the company reduced carrying two BBU and approved the 3600, 3800 to function with the Greg (Rev B) Belkin BBU.

As this is now 2014, the number of Black BBU would be few, but I have done service calls in 2014 where customer had all original equipment from 2007,2008 installs including the 3800, black BBU and 1216 DVR.
And in the large majority of cases those customers no longer had VOIP, kids grown, everyone with a cell phone.

plsmrvll
@99.26.146.x

plsmrvll to billyg

Anon

to billyg
I did replace the battery. Every time it goes into fault (solid red), I turn it off, it restarts, and goes green. And it'll stay green. For a random period of time...could by 4 hours, could be 24 hours. But invariably within a day it's back in solid red mode.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to plsmrvll

Premium Member

to plsmrvll
Quickest fix would be call AT&T and tell them the RG is shutting of randomly and don't mention the battery. They should send you a replacement RG with a power cord.

You could try to get them to replace the battery unit, but they might say it's your responsibility. Every replacement RG I've been sent had a standard power brick included. The replacement RG will be at no cost.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by joako:

Quickest fix would be call AT&T and tell them the RG is shutting of randomly and don't mention the battery. They should send you a replacement RG with a power cord.

When I went from a 3800HGV to a 3801HGV, I was provided with the newer Belkin battery backup due to the one I had didn't support the new gateway.

However, when I was sent a 3801HGV to replace my 3801HGV, I only received the physical gateway without any cords or adapters. It only came with a stand.
ShareTheToys
join:2014-11-25

ShareTheToys to plsmrvll

to plsmrvll
Call them at let them know the power adapter has a short (you can wiggle it and it cuts on and off) they'll probably mail you a new one out. They have no way of knowing if you have a BBU unless you have an INID or a NVG589.