uniqs

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

iphone 6+ available in apple stores

I was looking to purchase an iPhone 6 plus. I have about $100 in apple gift cards. Was looking online and to order it, it seems like the shipping times have dropped. However, when I clicked on a number of stores, it said available today for pick up. Do the stores now have stock of these?

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

Many do, but they sell out first thing in the morning. I believe they get new shipments almost daily now.

MsTerra
Mouthy Broad
Premium Member
join:2002-08-20
Nerdvana

MsTerra to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
Word to the wise, "available for pickup" phones are for people who purchase them online. That doesn't mean they're available for purchase in the store.

Believe me, I checked. I've been anxiously waiting to buy one off contract, which you can only do in the store.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

said by MsTerra:

Word to the wise, "available for pickup" phones are for people who purchase them online. That doesn't mean they're available for purchase in the store.

Believe me, I checked. I've been anxiously waiting to buy one off contract, which you can only do in the store.

Still not a bad thing. I can place the order and pick up. I only live about 20 minutes from the nearest apple store.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to MsTerra

MVM

to MsTerra
said by MsTerra:

Not sure what you mean by "off contract" then,....

If you are paying full price without a contract you can most certainly buy it from Apple directly online.

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
said by obeythelaw:

I can place the order and pick up.

but you knew that.

MsTerra
Mouthy Broad
Premium Member
join:2002-08-20
Nerdvana

MsTerra to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Not unless you happen to be a T-Mobile customer, which I'm not. (I confirmed this at my local Apple store.) My husband and I are still grandfathered into our old Verizon unlimited data plan, and we'd prefer to keep it that way if possible. Besides losing unlimited data and locking us into a new contract, a new "share everything" plan that suits our needs would be more expensive than the plan we're on now.

Also, part of the reason we're still on the old plan is because my husband bought his iPhone 5 at full price, and it would be a bit dickish of me to "upgrade" and throw us into a new contract at a less advantageous price plan just because I can't wait to get my mitts on the latest and greatest.

Believe me, I've mulled over the possibility of switching to T-Mobile, but it all comes back to VZW's superior coverage. We don't have a landline, so that's kind of important.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Believe me when I say that I am not trying to be obtuse but I genuinely don't understand your predicament.

Thats because I'm not now nor have I ever been under contract. I bought an iPhone 6 Plus directly from Apple online on Oct 3rd and received delivery of it on Oct 31st. It was a T-Mobile 64GB version.

I simply removed the H2O Micro SIM from my iPhone 4 and trimmed it down to fit in the iPhone 6 Plus. Works fine and the performance actually went up on data.

Are you saying that if you buy a Verizon iPhone 6 Plus you would somehow have to give up your grandfathered rights because its not transferable to new devices or you're current device is subsidize and there is no way around it until its fully paid off?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

2 recommendations

Thinkdiff

MVM,

If you buy a phone on Verizon with a subsidy ($299 for 6+), they'll remove the unlimited data plan.

If you buy the phone outright ($749), you can keep the unlimited data plan. But Apple doesn't let you buy the unsubsidized Verizon iPhone on their website.

Apple does sell a "T-Mobile" unlocked iPhone (like you have) online, but it's technically not a "Verizon" phone. In all likelihood, it will work just fine if MsTerra See Profile popped the Verizon SIM card out of her current phone and put it in the "T-Mobile" iPhone - unlimited data and all. But it's safer to just get the Verizon labeled phone directly.

It's all very confusing because all iPhone 6 models are exactly the same, even have the same model number. But if the phone is not listed in Verizon's inventory, they may give you problems in the future (although its unlikely).

tango_bob
join:2001-12-16
Evanston, IL

tango_bob to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
»www.istocknow.com/us

obeythelaw
Premium Member
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

I had went to an apple store today to pick up a phone as a christmas gift. I was told by 2 employees that I must activate the phone at the time of purchase. I said won't the old phone go dead at that point. They said yes.
I left. Can you not purchase an iPhone without activating it at that moment?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by obeythelaw:

I had went to an apple store today to pick up a phone as a christmas gift. I was told by 2 employees that I must activate the phone at the time of purchase. I said won't the old phone go dead at that point. They said yes.
I left. Can you not purchase an iPhone without activating it at that moment?

Are you buying it at a full price? Here in Canada you just walk in and buy it and walk out, you do with it as you please after. I bought my 5 and 6 that way.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to obeythelaw

MVM,

to obeythelaw
As HiVolt See Profile said, you can only buy the phone "as a gift" if you're paying full price. If you are getting it at contract price, they need to either run a credit check to establish a new line of service or the owner of the existing account present to authorize the new contract.

I just went through this with a relative. We ended up establishing a new line of service in my name and we'll do an "assumption of liability" transfer later to put the account in the recipient's name.