Search similar:

uniqs
shobuddy
join:2006-11-19
Ellicott City, MD

3 edits

shobuddy

[Equip] SB5120 Upgrade or Not?

I'm using a Motorola SB5120 (I own it) modem with the 25Mbps download plan. Comcast sent me an email saying I should upgrade the modem. I see that the 5120 has a downstream of of 38Mbps which is well above the 25Mbps package that I have. Upgrading to a newer/faster modem is fine but won't my speeds still be capped at 25Mbps? I'm debating whether I should/need to upgrade to a Docsis 3.0 modem. Will I see any speed gains or other benefits/improvements if I upgrade? Since the modem I have works fine and I don't have any issues with it, I don't want to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading or because Comcast says so, if I don't get any benefit out of it.
I don't have the blast service and am in the Baltimore/D.C area. I currently get about 24Mbps download.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

You will probably not notice any big difference between your DOCSIS2 SB5120 and any DOCSIS3 modem on your current speed tier (although in theory, even on your speed tier, a DOCSIS3 modem with bonded channels might provide you more reliable service). The only noticeable difference might be that a DOCSIS3 modem will allow you to get native dual stack IPv4/IPv6 connectivity (if your attached devices can implement IPv6).

The biggest benefit (to you personally) would be that if you go ahead and upgrade to a DOCSIS3 modem, you will be less likely to wake up some morning and find that Comcast had unilaterally taken your modem offline, and left you with no Internet service. This has happened to many DOCSIS2 modem owners, and whether it is accidental or intentional on Comcast's part, the result is still that the customer will be without service until a DOCSIS3 modem is connected and activated (because Comcast will not re-activate an EOL modem once it has been removed from service).

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

2 recommendations

Chris 313 to shobuddy

Premium Member

to shobuddy
said by shobuddy:

I'm using a Motorola SB5120 (I own it) modem with the 25Mbps plan. Comcast sent me an email saying I should upgrade the modem. I see that the 5120 has a downstream of of 38Mbps which is well above the 25Mbps package that I have. Upgrading to a newer/faster modem is fine but won't my speeds still be capped at 25Mbps? I'm debating whether I should/need to upgrade to a Docsis 3.0 modem. Will I see any speed gains or other benefits/improvements if I upgrade? Since the modem I have works fine and I don't have any issues with it, I don't want to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading or because Comcast says so, if I don't get any benefit out of it.
I don't have the blast service and am in the Baltimore/D.C area. I currently get about 24Mbps download.

Absolutely upgrade. They're taking all Docsis 2 modems off the network as fast as they can in favor of newer tech. When you upgrade, go no lower then 8x4 to start. Try this one: »www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCS ··· OM+5341j

If you're a moto fan, look at this: »www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· ola+6141 (Still an 8x4 modem and a great start. I have one and don't have any issue getting the 50/10+ I pay for)

If you want top of the line, try this: »www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· le+modem (This one can be found at Best Buy stores themselves if you're very lucky. All 3 of them can be found at the store and price matched with Amazon for the best price)

If you're in an area that hasn't been upgraded yet, you'll still only get 25/5-6, but if you do have the upgrade, you'll go from 25 to 50+ with it. But you will notice an over all more stable connection with the new modem for start.

Regardless, I wouldn't wait. If you're being bugged by Comcast to upgrade your D2 modem, you could end up being shut off at any time. Dunno about you, but I'd hate waking up Thanksgiving or Xmas and not having internet.

If you need a router upgrade as well, look at any of thee 3 models:

Wireless N:

»www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-D ··· t+router

Wireless AC:

»www.amazon.com/RT-AC68U- ··· t+router

»www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-A ··· t+router

Hope that helps you make your choice. Be sure to come back and let us know how it went.

PS: Remember not to give up on getting your new modem set up when you get it and remember to keep all receipts for the new modem. I recommend scanning them in and putting the originals in a safe place, just in case billing disputes happen.
shobuddy
Ellicott City, MD

shobuddy

Thanks for the replies. Clear things up a bit. I was looking at the 5341J and the 6141. Seeing as their specs are the same, was thinking of going with the 5431J since its cheaper.
I don't need a router since I already a TP Link tl-wr940n that I'm currently using.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by shobuddy:

Thanks for the replies. Clear things up a bit. I was looking at the 5341J and the 6141. Seeing as their specs are the same, was thinking of going with the 5431J since its cheaper.
I don't need a router since I already a TP Link tl-wr940n that I'm currently using.

I'm glad to hear it. The Zoom J is an excellent model. Be sure to come back and tell us how it went and all. And if you have any questions and things as well.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to shobuddy

Premium Member

to shobuddy
said by shobuddy:

I would still upgrade the router to a more decent one as since Comcast is upgrading speeds and if you wanted to upgrade to Blast! then your current router wouldn't be able to handle it on the Wired or Wireless side.
shobuddy
Ellicott City, MD

shobuddy

I'm not real familiar with router specs but the router I have has a speed spec of 300Mbps. Isn't that faster than any tier Comcast provides, let along my 25MBps tier? I do see folks mentioning routers that go for over $100 and don't understand it since the speeds on those routers seem to be the same as cheaper but quality routers.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 recommendations

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by shobuddy:

I'm not real familiar with router specs but the router I have has a speed spec of 300Mbps. Isn't that faster than any tier Comcast provides, let along my 25MBps tier? I do see folks mentioning routers that go for over $100 and don't understand it since the speeds on those routers seem to be the same as cheaper but quality routers.

That 300mbps number is a theoretical max value for a WiFi connection, but there are some things to keep in mind for that:

1. WiFi is a half-duplex connection, so 300mbps actually only means 150mbps in each direction.

2. Achieving that maximum WiFi speed is nearly impossible in the real world using only a 2.4Ghz connection. My guess would be that you would be lucky to maintain a ~75mbps WiFi connection with that router -- but only if you were far enough away from other WiFi networks to avoid interference. OTOH, that is pretty much the case for any N300 single band WiFi router (especially a router with a 10/100 Ethernet interface)

3. That particular router only has 10/100mbps Ethernet connections on both its WAN and LAN interfaces, so you aren't going to get real world speed faster than 100mbps through that router due to the hardware Ethernet speed limit.

Having said the above, with your current Comcast speed tier (even if Comcast upgrades you automatically to 50mbps downstream), that router should have no problems keeping up with that speed tier. In your position, I would not be in any hurry to replace that router unless it had problems with Comcast's native IPv6 implementation (which may not be important to you at this time).
shobuddy
Ellicott City, MD

shobuddy

Thanks for the breakdown

Comp Cmndo
join:2003-08-12
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Comp Cmndo to shobuddy

to shobuddy
said by shobuddy:

A few months ago, I had the 5120 & bought the 5341J, 20% increase in speed on the Performance tier. 6141 has had firmware issues.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721

I just wanted to point out not everyone had a problem with the 6141 the whole time before the new firmware i never had any issues with speeds slowing down or anything else for that matter, my 6141 has been rock solid since the day i bought it. That said i have also owned the Zoom 5341J and it also is a solid performer as well excellent modem.
shobuddy
Ellicott City, MD

shobuddy to Comp Cmndo

to Comp Cmndo
Good to know because I'm on the performance tier as well.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Chris 313

to Chris 313
Really? Asus? With all their problems?

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

Really? Asus? With all their problems?

Yes. Asus. Really. The model I have works fine and I expect to get 330 out of it at least, maybe more before having to replace it.

But that doesn't matter since the OP is keeping his current router for now at least.
HerronScott
join:2004-12-23
Staunton, VA

HerronScott to Comp Cmndo

to Comp Cmndo
said by Comp Cmndo:

A few months ago, I had the 5120 & bought the 5341J, 20% increase in speed on the Performance tier. 6141 has had firmware issues.

Interesting, I did the same replacement about the same time to be ready for any speed increases to the Performance tier, but I haven't seen any differences in speed. Still getting the same 26-28/5-6 on tests.

But I have noticed that the connection is more stable. You would occasionally see events in the cablemodem's log file on the 5120, but we don't see any on the 6141 other than those during reboots.

Scott

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to Chris 313

to Chris 313
I know, just was surprised given all the problems I've been hearing with firmware instabilities, wireless problems, and IPv6 problems.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 edit

3 recommendations

Johkal

MVM

I am the biggest Linksys fanboy ever, but chose the ASUS RT-AC87U/R over the WRT-1900. The ASUS is a powerhouse, very user friendly, setup was so easy, Ipv6 native out of the gate with no issues and the coverage especially with the 5Ghz band is far superior to the Linksys.

Ref: »www.asus.com/us/Networki ··· RTAC87U/

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

2 recommendations

iNick

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

I am the biggest Linksys fanboy ever, but chose the ASUS RT-AC87U/R over the WRT-1900. The ASUS is a powerhouse, very user friendly, setup was so easy, Ipv6 native out of the gate with no issues and the coverage especially with the 5Ghz band is far superior to the Linksys.

Ref: »www.asus.com/us/Networki ··· RTAC87U/

I used to be the biggest Netgear Fanboy ever until I got that T-Mobile Router for free and never looked back haha.

Agent 86
@98.209.217.x

Agent 86

Anon

Lots of misinformation in this thread. You won't see any performance benefit from DOCSIS 3 (except once in a blue moon when two users are maxing out the same channel). Also, upgrading is NOT mandatory at this time. There's no risk of losing your internet service.

With cable modem standards in flux it makes little sense to preemptively upgrade.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

5 recommendations

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Agent 86 :

Lots of misinformation in this thread. You won't see any performance benefit from DOCSIS 3 (except once in a blue moon when two users are maxing out the same channel). Also, upgrading is NOT mandatory at this time. There's no risk of losing your internet service.

There is certainly a misunderstanding (or a misrepresentation) of how Comcast treats their customers by at least one poster in this thread.

Comcast does indeed preemptively deactivate DOCSIS2 modems, and then will refuse to reactivate them again because they are "EOL". It may not have happened to you (yet), but it does indeed happen -- there have been numerous posts in this forum of that happening, and I personally know of it happening as well.
shobuddy
Ellicott City, MD

shobuddy

I moved over this past weekend and transferred my internet service. When activating the service at the new place, the Comcast rep said I need to upgrade my modem and that if I don't, my service could be shut off at any time. I'm hoping it doesn't happen till Christmas because a new modem is on my gift wishlist.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

That 300mbps number is a theoretical max value for a WiFi connection, but there are some things to keep in mind for that:..

Excellent list. If I may comment on #2 based upon what I see here...

The "far enough away from other WiFi networks" is important.

When I set my access point to use channels in the 2.4GHz band, my notebook reports a signal capable of 65mbps. (click on the WiFi icon on Windows 7's task bar, then click on the network you're connected to, then other mouse button click on Status).

When I remain sitting in the same spot and change the access point over to the 5GHz band, the notebook follows the access point to the new band, but now it reports a signal capable of 150mbps.

100% repeatable from other areas in the house.

When I look at the other WiFi networks in the area, I see seven networks from neighbors on the 2.4GHz band, while I am the only person using the 5GHz band.

My access point has a max rate of 150mbps.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

All I can say is that I've been to the more remote areas of Connecticut such as Stafford Springs and I've been able to get wireless routers to get a full link rate of 300Mbps and 450Mbps due to no other wifi networks. It's pretty cool.