TomBrooklyn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Brooklyn, NY

TomBrooklyn

Premium Member

Ask Has Taken Over Search, But Can't Find Program

How can I get rid of Ask?

Yesterday, ask hijacked the search engine, which had been google, on my Torch Browser.

I went to my list of applications in the Control Panel, and also via CCleaner, and nothing under Ask appears.

I don't think I downloaded and installed any applications yesterday.
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl

The irony is that the torch browser may have been the one to installed the ASK toolbar. »support.torchbrowser.com ··· ll-torch

»help.ask.com/link/portal ··· -Toolbar
TomBrooklyn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Brooklyn, NY

TomBrooklyn

Premium Member

Thanks for the lead, lawsoncl. I'll look into that. I've been using torch for many months without such an incident. Maybe it came on an update. I didn't do an update yesterday though; at least not intentionally.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to TomBrooklyn

Premium Member

to TomBrooklyn
You might not find the program if it does a 1 time change. Seems Ask pays many vendors to take over search settings and drop their stupid toolbar. One reason I never even considered using Ask and told family members who do to find something else. Does your settings stick if you manually change your homepage back to your preference? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

TheJoker
MVM
join:2001-04-26
Charlottesville, VA

1 recommendation

TheJoker to TomBrooklyn

MVM

to TomBrooklyn
I recommend you read »Security Cleanup FAQ »Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistance and then open a topic in »Security Cleanup for assistance posting the necessary logs.