All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Oneadam12
join:2014-11-21

Oneadam12

[Install] Can't use out of state modem?

So, the Comcast folks were just here and after a long time trying to hook up my wifi, they asked me if my modem was from out of state. I had purchased my Motorola Surfboard modem online from a store in Chicago. They said the "code" was set for another state and not for Oregon, where I am. These guys seemed really honest. I am renting the Comcast modem for now, but they said to call them once I have the code changed or buy a new modem.

Has anyone ever heard of this or know what it means? Thank you.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

It could be a diffent firmware, but it should receive the newest firmware and config file each time you reboot.
I would try your own modem, but remember a full power cycle of everything each time you change devices.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to Oneadam12

Premium Member

to Oneadam12
said by Oneadam12:

So, the Comcast folks were just here and after a long time trying to hook up my wifi, they asked me if my modem was from out of state. I had purchased my Motorola Surfboard modem online from a store in Chicago. They said the "code" was set for another state and not for Oregon, where I am. These guys seemed really honest. I am renting the Comcast modem for now, but they said to call them once I have the code changed or buy a new modem.

I never had this problem before? Just call up Comcast and ask them to activated it for you.

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to Oneadam12

to Oneadam12
The only problem you could have is if you purchased a used modem that was stolen and its MAC address is in Comcast's data base of stolen modems. Posts in these forums report such for modems sometimes purchased from eBay. Otherwise, a call to Comcast should allow the modem to be activated by the service representative and as pointed out may require a reboot of the modem with all other equipment (computers, router, swithches, etc.) in the system powered down.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Oneadam12

Premium Member

to Oneadam12
said by Oneadam12:

There is no such thing as a state "code" for a cable modem. One possibility is that the modem you purchased was previously purchased by a Comcast customer in another state, but was returned to the seller for some reason. This is not an unusual situation because retailers repackage returned equipment and sell it to someone else. The Comcast guys may have seemed really honest, but all that means is that they were honestly clueless.

Try again to activate the modem using the automated "walled garden" site -- this is the web site that will automatically load for a modem that is not currently activated. If that does not work, call 800-COMCAST or 800-XFINITY and ask to have the modem activated -- if the CSR can't activate the modem, at least you may be given a valid reason why it can't be activated. If that reason is because Comcast shows that modem assigned to another customer's account, you should be able to take your modem, your sales receipt or invoice, and any retail packaging you still have to a local Comcast office, and have its serial number and MAC address scanned and added to your account. If that does not work, then you may need to contact your local FCC Franchise Authority -- that has worked for me in the past for a similar situation.
jamaicaplain
join:2014-11-07
Jamaica Plain, MA

jamaicaplain to Oneadam12

to Oneadam12
For provisioning modems, I have found that comcast chat is pretty effective. On a recent install, the installer could not provision my modem claiming it was already in their system. I had used it a year before and then left comcast. Using chat, I was able to get the problem solved.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Oneadam12

Premium Member

to Oneadam12
Words of wisdom: Buy modems that are factory sealed at brick and mortar stores such as Best Buy or Staples. Never buy modems online as they come from questionable sources. And you can even buy the Arris TG 862G gateway if you have voice at select best buy locations that are officially endorsed by Comcast for purchased status EMTA.

eBay modems 99.96 percent of the time are stolen cableco equipment.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

Words of wisdom: Buy modems that are factory sealed at brick and mortar stores such as Best Buy or Staples. Never buy modems online as they come from questionable sources.

Any modem that you purchase from a retailer (either in person at a local store, or from that retailers web site) can still easily be a modem that was returned by another customer, and that modem could also have been activated on a Comcast account by the first purchaser. Shrink wrap equipment is easy to use, and all retailers make use of that equipment to resell returned equipment. Do you actually think that they just throw the equipment that you return into the trash?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

No but Best Buy will mark returned/repackaged items as open box items.
jamaicaplain
join:2014-11-07
Jamaica Plain, MA

jamaicaplain to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

And you can even buy the Arris TG 862G gateway if you have voice at select best buy locations that are officially endorsed by Comcast for purchased status EMTA.

The TG862G is a gateway meaning it has router and WiFi. The Arris TM822G is a net/voice (EMTA) modem without router and WiFi.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

No but Best Buy will mark returned/repackaged items as open box items.

If that is sometimes done, it would likely only be because the packaging (or the item itself) was visibly damaged, and it would be obvious that it had been previously sold (or perhaps used as a demo/display item). FWIW, I have purchased items at BestBuy that had visibly damaged packaging when it was something I needed quickly, and it was the last item in stock; and it was in no way marked as previously sold or used, nor was the price discounted because of the damaged (and obviously previously opened) packaging. As with most things in life: YMMV.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Don't even get me started on floor models, my dad had bought a floor model TV (you know floor model TVs are run all day every day to show the picture quality) and that thing had died shortly upon delivery. He only saved $60 (in early 1980's dollars). For $60 more he could had a brand new TV.

A little off topic but my two cents on buying anything open box.
Platinum0
join:2003-05-23
Knoxville, TN

Platinum0 to Oneadam12

to Oneadam12
As others have stated it needs the comcast firmware. I would just keep it connected to the coax and powered on until it receives the update, then I would call and activate it. comcast will do anything to get the modem or gateway rental fee out of you.
riffin1
join:2013-12-17
Saint Paul, MN

riffin1

When I did it there were several different errors that would make a modem from another region refuse to provision. ACSR would just fail. There was no rapid way to fix this one.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I would assume purchasing a clearly listed new modem from the manufacturer from an online retailer like Amazon or BestBuy.com or Staples.com or the manufacturer's own store is also acceptable, correct?
Mike Wolf

2 edits

Mike Wolf to NetFixer

to NetFixer
These days electronic manufacturers tend to either use nonfunctional "dummy" products (empty shell) for display or send a "ruined" product (usually a quality control defective unit which is repurposed instead of trashed), neither of which can ever be sold. Logitech for example does both, the latter being a keyboard or mouse or webcam with their USB cord cut off.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

These days electronic manufacturers tend to either use nonfunctional "dummy" products (empty shell) for display or send a "ruined" product (usually a quality control defective unit which is repurposed instead of trashed), neither of which can ever be sold. Logitech for example does both, the latter being a keyboard or mouse or webcam with their USB cord cut off.

Depending upon the merchandise, yes that is sometimes done by some retailers. However, that would have nothing to do with customer "A" buying a cable modem or gateway, activating it on Comcast's network, and then returning it to the retailer (for any reason) -- and the retailer would then repackage the modem/gateway and resell it to customer "B". This is not an unusual situation at all for either physical "brick and mortar" stores, or on-line retailers.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

Interesting
Expand your moderator at work
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

Re: [Install] Can't use out of state modem?

Are you kidding. you dont really believe every return is sent back for testing? FWIW, i once had a router that got toasted by lightning and i went to best buy and got a replacement. My daughterinlaw threw my old router in the new box and returned it to bestbuy. I went there about a week later and sure enough my fried router was sitting on the shelf in shrink wrapped box waiting for some sucker to buy it. stores dont return shit if you dont return it as defective. They simply shrink wrap the package and resell it. Some testing they did. They never even noticed the serial number or mac address for the router didnt match what was in the box.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

3 edits

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by rody_44:

Are you kidding. you dont really believe every return is sent back for testing? FWIW, i once had a router that got toasted by lightning and i went to best buy and got a replacement. My daughterinlaw threw my old router in the new box and returned it to bestbuy. I went there about a week later and sure enough my fried router was sitting on the shelf in shrink wrapped box waiting for some sucker to buy it. stores dont return shit if you dont return it as defective. They simply shrink wrap the package and resell it. Some testing they did. They never even noticed the serial number or mac address for the router didnt match what was in the box.

I originally thought that the poster really believed it; but now that the magic history eraser has removed the original statement, I would have to say that is/was not really the case.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Some clerk didn't check the contents against the packaging, my grandma worked at Wally World back before her health tanked in the crafts department and someone tried buying a sewing machine, boxing up the dead unit (old machine destined for the curb on trash day) and returning the dead unit and keeping the new one. It's basically a form of shoplifting.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I've seen both happen when I've had to do returns, sometimes the employee takes the product out, inspects it, plugs it in if applicable, and checks the serial number against the box and receipt right there at customer service and other times they just open the box to make sure something is inside and hand over the money. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the value of the product like a laptop verses a PS3 accessory or Maglite, or the store policy, or manager on duty, or if they're busy, or maybe it's random?