uniqs

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Scrambled hard drive on NAS

It's my own fault.... I scrambled a hard drive on NAS...

What's the conscientious on SSD for use in NAS????

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

There is certainly no need for one in that application. That combined with the fact that there is a significant cost difference between a conventional hard drive and an SSD I certainly wouldn't go that direction! If you have an SSD big enough to use in a NAS I would think you could find a better place to put it to better use.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

I have to agree. You would lose all of the speed benefits of the SSD, so you would be paying quite a premium just for the shock proofing. So much so that it seems wiser to put your NAS box somewhere that it won't get knocked around.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to Jan Janowski

Premium Member

to Jan Janowski
Most mechanical drives in a RAID 10 array (or any array, maybe even a single drive) can easily saturate a gigabit link (100 MBps). You could do multiple links in an LACP team but you won't get the benefit of the higher speed unless you can open multiple streams such as with FTP or SMB 3.0 (or simply multiple computers). The NAS boxes that do make use of an SSD array or tier generally have 10 Gigabit (1000 MBps) links or faster.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

The drive that scrambled was a single drive on USBV2, not a raid.

In this location (ftp'd security pictures only) a $50 120Gb SSD would be fine for size...
This location of the cameras is un-manned, and is Un-accessable by internet.
Also note that the USB Drive is powered by USBV2 interface from the NAS.

My question is.... Would a SSD be less apt to corrupt/mtbf?

The scrambling was my own fault... I deleted ~4Gb of files in 3 directories simultaneously, while multiple sets of pictures were being sent to the same 3 locations.... and it scrambled the drive....
I don't think speed of drive was an issue, I think I just overwhelmed the interface with hundreds of delete's and writes simultaneously...
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to Jan Janowski

Premium Member

to Jan Janowski
You have 2 potential problems trying to use an SSD in this application. 1: If the NAS/drive controller does not support wear leveling (trim) and 2: Because of the manner in which you want to use this device ie; many writes/deletions, in my opinion it would not last very long

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by aguen:

You have 2 potential problems trying to use an SSD in this application. 1: If the NAS/drive controller does not support wear leveling (trim) and 2: Because of the manner in which you want to use this device ie; many writes/deletions, in my opinion it would not last very long

+1 That's something that could rapidly become an issue in the proposed set up. Much better off to stick with a conventional drive.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

1 edit

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

I hadn't even thought of trim... Very good point... Thank You for pointing it out!
In theory, Writes should never happen on this drive... Unless someone breaks into the location, then the cameras start sending motion detect images..
(When I was at the site, the system worked fine for a week, and night before I left I was cleaning up a week's motion detect pictures, and at the time wondered if I was taxing the system.....) Well, I found out!!!

In past 15 min, I just re-connected the Nas ftp server to the now re-formatted drive, with the same login and password, and directory structure as before.... I probably could have done this on location last month, but I wasn't certain if drive was scrambled, or trashed.....
I'll toss lots of files onto it, and check it's file structure via the NAS drive utility...
But... So far, so good.
Jan Janowski

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

I contacted the support folks....

Their answer:

None of the NAS products support the TRIM command and this isn't likely to change.
You can still use SSD storage on these products and they will work fine without TRIM. Even if it were supported, SSD storage invariably suffers a dramatic drop in performance on writes once they run out of blocks that don't need to be erased before being written. Supporting TRIM only mitigates that loss a little.
Chrno
join:2003-12-11

1 recommendation

Chrno to aguen

to aguen
Why are we mixing TRIM and wear leveling? TRIM and wear leveling are 2 different things. A SSD's controller does wear leveling internally even if the host controller doesn't support the TRIM command.