Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel

Premium Member

[Plumbing] Dishwasher drain hookup?

Click for full size
Click for full size
We just bought and moved into our first house and we have a dishwasher that we'd like to install, but I'm not sure what the best way to go about hooking up the drain hose since there really isn't anywhere to put it. I can grab more pictures in the morning if other views are necessary.

Since I have very minimal plumbing knowledge, should I replace one of the existing pipes with a T fitting or take the cap off the cleanout and use a fitting there?

enon
@108.18.188.x

enon

Anon

Where does that horizontal run of drain pipe go? If there is a disposal, it probably has a drain fitting with a knockout you can use. If you don't have a disposal, you will replace that vertical run between the sink drain and the trap with a special type of wye. Google "dishwasher tailpiece". Either way, be sure to loop the dishwasher drain tube up to the highest point under the cupboard. Do NOT use the clean out fitting. Check local code; an air gap may be required

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

said by enon :

Where does that horizontal run of drain pipe go? If there is a disposal, it probably has a drain fitting with a knockout you can use. If you don't have a disposal.......

Start by installing one. You'll need it anyway, and it will make installing the dishwasher line a lot easier.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to ironweasel

MVM

to ironweasel

Dishwasher attachment
The easiest way is to get a dishwater adapter, it is a premade assembly. Remove the tailpiece between the basket and T, cut it to fit. Check with your local building code, some require an air gap, not sure how common that requirement is any more.

As to installing a disposal if you have a septic system I strongly disagrees with Camelot One See Profile suggestion to install a garbage disposal.

/tom

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to ironweasel

Premium Member

to ironweasel
I'm not sure what the codes are in your area but in many places you are required to install an air gap between the dishwasher and the drain on the drain line. You can look them up on the Internet but they are basically just a device that sticks above the sink that acts as a vacuum break for the drain line of the dishwasher.

Also, while some people don't recommend a garbage disposal if you have a septic system I lived in a house for many years that had one with a septic system and we never had a problem. The biggest thing with a septic system is to remember to put enzymes in the system on a regular basis to keep it working correctly.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
Belen, NM

ironweasel

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
To answer a few questions:
The horizontal pipe runs between the two basins.
We're on city water and sewer - no septic tank.
There is also no disposal - yet.

I have included 2 more pictures showing a wider angle what appears to be the Y that was mentioned and also what I think is the air gap sitting next to the sprayer handle.

Can I just disconnect that black line from the Y and put the dishwasher drain there or do I need another kind of fitting? Again, sorry for the dumb questions.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

I'm confused, it looks like you already have a dishwasher hookup. Is there one installed?

The object to the right of the faucet is the air gap. The black hose goes from the drain to the air gap. There should be another hose from the air gap to the dishwasher.

If your town no longer requires an air gap, you can remove it and plug the hole with a trim plate. In that case you can plug the dishwasher hose directly into the drain.

/tom

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Before removing the air gap I would check to see if the sink has a plumbing vent stack. That could be the only vent for the sink plumbing.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

If it's a vent it's on the wrong side of the P trap.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to ironweasel

to ironweasel
Do you have permits and inspection in your city? Things don't look very nice under there. The jaily electrical outlet, the use of a tee in lieu of a wye where the two sinks join.

For Thanksgiving we are going to my brother in laws, where they just had their second fireplace fire. Neither should have happened, no inspection, not close to code. Many other violations, but Indiana doesn't have permits and inspection.
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to ironweasel

Premium Member

to ironweasel
IMO, everything looks good enough. Just get the piece mentioned by tschmidt. Don't call the city, don't get an inspector. Just put in the one simple piece and hook up the dishwasher. Done and done. No need to make things more complicated than they are.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to jack b

Mod

to jack b
said by jack b:

If it's a vent it's on the wrong side of the P trap.

Good point. OP -- take a look at the underside of the air gap. It may be that you already have an air gap for a dishwasher installed and you just hook up to it. If you do, there is a barb to hook a second hose next to where the hose is connected to the air gap under the sink currently.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to joewho

to joewho
I certainly was not suggesting that he call the city. Just that if there is no inspection in that city you better look around carefully to see if there are any more examples of shoddy work before they bite you.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
Belen, NM

1 recommendation

ironweasel

Premium Member

When we bought the place, the only appliance that was here was a gas stove (we got rid of it already), so there was no dishwasher installed. The dishwasher we obtained has the water supply line and drain hose still connected to it

There was another barb on the air gap behind that black hose, so I ran the dishwasher drain hose to that barb and ran it through a test cycle. Everything seems to work so far...dishwasher runs, water gets hot, drains properly, no leaks. I'll have to check it out once it actually has a load in it.

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired

That was te right thing to do- everything was set up for you already.

One thing to keep an eye on with those air gaps is that if the host leading to the sink drain clogs, the drain water will come out of the air gap and onto your counter. You might want to keep the vent for the gap pointed toward the sink to minimize the mess should that happen. Usually this only happens when the drain is tied to a garbage disposal, though. The hot grease and fat being ejected from the dishwasher solidifies on the cold metal garbage disposal inlet port, and eventually clogs up enough to flow out of the air gap.
psiu
join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI

psiu to ironweasel

to ironweasel
Nice, looks like it was all set up for you.

We just had inspector out for our dishwasher. Wife had talked to him originally and had trouble understanding him, but there was "something something air" involved. Air gap seemed to be only thing that made sense, so we put one in.

[Two actually, second one being a heavy duty copper beast]

He came out and told us he wanted a mechanical air arrestor (and incidentally, didn't care about the air gap). But at least we get to keep the air gap.

I hate plumbing :P
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to harald

Premium Member

to harald

said by harald See ProfileThings don't look very nice under there. The jaily electrical outlet, the use of a tee in lieu of a wye where the two sinks join.

+100 for both points above.

Dishwasher should be on a dedicated 15A electrical circuit with GFCI protection - either at the outlet or at the breaker panel.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to ironweasel

to ironweasel
The outlet doesn't necessarily look janky, the hole in the cupboard to access it does. However:

- I'd use a GFCI
- I'd have a trap with a cleanout in it
- I'd use a directional Y instead of a T.