spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bfollowell3
join:2009-12-11
Evansville, IN

bfollowell3

New construction wiring questions?

My wife and I will be moving into our new home soon. I had CAT6 and RG6 ran everywhere. I just found out that the electrician won't be terminating the ends of the cables, so I need to pick up some connectors and tools to get the job done before TWC comes to hookup. I'm sure they'd do a few of them for me as part of the install, but I doubt they'd do them all and I'd really prefer to have everything inside done so that all they have to do is hookup to the house and then confirm signal inside.

First of all, how to I wire the RJ-45 connectors? I am not planning to have a patch panel; I really don't see the purpose. I'll be coming straight from the jacks in the individual rooms, back to my network room and straight into the network switch. Would I wire these up in a "straight" configuration? It looks like cross-over configuration is used only to connect devices directly. From what I can see, patch cables, and in-wall cabling like I have should be wired straight. I just wanted to confirm.

Secondly, since I need to do these myself, I need to pick up a couple of tools. I have a decent RG-6 stripper. Does anyone have any good suggestions for an Ethernet stripper, an RJ-45 crimper, and an RG-6 compression tool? Also, what about F-type RG-6 compression connectors and RJ-45 connectors? For the tools, I'd like to get decent quality, but let's face it, after I get this job done, I'll only use these pretty infrequently so I'd rather not shell out $300 for a set of professional tools if I can get by with something almost as good for much less.

Lastly, any tips on getting f-type connectors seated well? I ran all new wiring for our satellite setup at our old house a couple of years ago and had the most horrible experience ever getting those connectors seated well, and I use the term "well" lightly. I thought I bought fairly high quality connectors and wire but it was a nightmare and I was barely able to get the connectors seated well enough to get the dielectric up to the base of the connector; some I couldn't even get that close. I cut, blistered and pretty much wore my palm out trying to push and twist those things on and get them down far enough. I don't know if it was an equipment issue of if I was just screwing something up. Any advice to keep me from having a similar horrible experience would be most appreciated.

Thanks for any advice anyone is able to give.
thebigzeus1
join:2012-08-12
Austin, TX

thebigzeus1

»www.harborfreight.com/ro ··· 953.html

»www.amazon.com/Network-C ··· 055EXMII

»www.harborfreight.com/co ··· 862.html

installguyz
@209.122.192.x

installguyz to bfollowell3

Anon

to bfollowell3
u can leave them unterminated and installer will terminate the coax as needed. leave plenty of slack on both ends.

if u insist on doing it, practice on spare cable from a reel or anywhere else otherwise you'll likely mess up and end up with little slack for the future (replacement connectors)
bfollowell3
Evansville, IN

bfollowell3

Well, I have about 12 locations that each have two CAT6 and two RG-6 runs to them. That's 48 RG-6 terminations and 48 CAT6 terminations. They may, but I seriously doubt they're going to take care of that much. What's your guys' experience?
ViperJohn
join:2000-03-23
Santa Ana, CA

ViperJohn to bfollowell3

to bfollowell3
Normally TWC installers will install new connectors on all existing cable runs they use to get you connected. This includes cutting off any existing non TWC connectors and reinstalling theirs. TWC figures (correctly) they can re-connector a line in less than a minute while they are there versus another truck roll to fix a missed bad connector the first time.

Viper
bfollowell3
Evansville, IN

bfollowell3

Well, maybe I'll just wait then, and see what all they'll do, and then just worry about any others later. I'm assuming they won't do anything with the Ethernet connectors but I'm not as worried about those anyway. It's the RG-6 that has given me fits in the past.

Thanks.
Frank4d
join:2014-08-02
Simi Valley, CA

Frank4d

I would let TWC do the RG-6 connectors. For RJ-45 wall jacks, you don't usually need any tools other than a wire cutter and something to cut back the outer jacket of the CAT5E or CAT6 cable (special cutters are available, or a razor blade or some types of wire cutters work just as well).
You want to wire the cables straight, ensuring pins 1&2, 3&6, 4&5 and 7&8 are pairs. EIA/TIA-568B standard is most common, and while the wire colors don't really matter, correct pairing of the wires does matter. Here is a link to a tutorial for one brand of wall jacks: »www.handymanhowto.com/ho ··· -network