All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
carajean206
join:2011-03-02

carajean206

New Uverse service using used router?

Can this be done? I dont want to pay their high price so Im trying to cut corners. Can I get a used modem/router off craigslist and activate new service with that? I have no other choice than AT&T U verse

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

If you're paying for a rental fee, you're likely to have a very difficult time doing so. You could purchase one, but you're going to have to still say the rental.

Have you called them? Explain to them that you're having a hard time affording it and see if they can get you some deal(if you're willing to be on a contract). Have you also tried downgrading some tiers to something you can afford?

AT&T's pricing isn't really that bad compared to the competition.
carajean206

carajean206

Its not the affording part its the after 6 months Im moving and dont want to pay for the modem. Not that uverse is bad just $100 for a modem is crazy. The service is the same Im paying right now for DSL. No im not paying any rental fees right now. I paid outright for my current modem

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Oh, I see. The purchase outright price.

You can purchase your modem online through 3rd parties if you're not ordering TV service. If TV service is available in your area, you want to purchase a 5031NV. If TV isn't available, you want to buy the NVG510 or 5168NV(not sure if it's being rented out or sold. I assume it's being sold outright. If it's a rental, they might not allow stolen equipment).
carajean206

carajean206

Thank you very much I sure do appreciate the information. Now when I setup service do I tell them I already have one?
carajean206

carajean206 to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Also TV is available but I will not be taking that option will I still need the 5031NV? Of course the chat people are telling me I cant do this.

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts

Anon

They need to ship the RG, billed $100....
Once your service is activated on different RG, return the shipped with label provided in box to receive the $100 credit....
carajean206

carajean206

What are you talking about? What does RG mean?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by carajean206:

What are you talking about? What does RG mean?

He's talking about the gateway. He said you have to purchase it for $100 first, then buy your own online somewhere, then send the shipped one back to get your money back.

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts to carajean206

Anon

to carajean206
Thanks Darkness fall, the RG refers to Residential Gateway regardless of model number.
Sometimes may use shorthand abbreviations believe falsely others know the shorthand, my apologies carajean206.
ShareTheToys
join:2014-11-25

ShareTheToys to carajean206

to carajean206
For an internet only installation, with or without VoIP you will need a 5031, or a 3600 RG. This is assuming you are single pair U-verse. This does not apply for IPDSL which requires a NVG510 or a 5168. The 5031 is able to be hot swapped to answer your question though.
carajean206

carajean206

How will I know which one I am? I have the NVG510 on hand now. Do I need to buy the 5031? I will never hook up TV in this apartment. I only want internet.
ShareTheToys
join:2014-11-25

ShareTheToys to carajean206

to carajean206
The NVG510 is for IPDSL type internet only which is an ADSL signal. The 5031 is a VDSL gateway, but it is NOT for television service. Since you have the ability to get television service you will be running on VDSL and need a 5031. Uverse tv only runs on VDSL, not ADSL.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by ShareTheToys:

The NVG510 is for IPDSL type internet only which is an ADSL signal. The 5031 is a VDSL gateway, but it is NOT for television service. Since you have the ability to get television service you will be running on VDSL and need a 5031. Uverse tv only runs on VDSL, not ADSL.

U-Verse IPTV also runs on xPON. There is no reason IPTV can't be run on IPDSLAM ADSL2+, but at this point AT&T U-Verse has not allowed that.

Pair bond a couple 18 Mbps ADSL2+ lines, and you have 36 Mbps, plenty for the 32 Mbps IPTV profile. Bond a couple 12 Mbps lines, and you basically have the 25 Mbps IPTV profile. It can be done. CenturyLink sells Prism IPTV (very similar to U-Verse) via Pair Bonded ADSL2+ in addition to VDSL2

As far as the 5031 -- it works on both ADSL2+ and VDSL2 U-Verse - the modem specs state it supports both, and it syncs and works on both. 5031 is more Universal (for Single Pair xDSL U-Verse service); the NVG510 is ADSL2+ U-Verse only