join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

[Equip] Xfinity Cisco Gateway Bridge Mode

Okay, the firmware allows me to put the Cisco Gateway into bridge mode, but when I do, and connect my router to the gateway's ethernet 1 port, I can't connect to the internet. My connections are as follows:

Gateway ethernet 1 ---> ASUS router in ---> asus ethernet 1 ---> PC

What am I doing wrong or not doing?

Thanks.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 edit

EG

Premium Member

Is it in *FULL* bridge mode ? On some of their supplied gateway models the WiFi radio and the bridge mode functions are separately toggle-able.

There may be clickable buttons for both the "Bridge Mode" enable / disable and for the "WiFi" enable / disable functions.

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

It's all software, and one control to enable/disable bridge mode.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Are you certain that there is only one button ? A CC insider that I know recently insisted to me that there were two. FWIW, the Arris TG862 has two.

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

Trust me. There is one Control consisting of two buttons: enable and disable.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
said by owlyn:

Okay, the firmware allows me to put the Cisco Gateway into bridge mode, but when I do, and connect my router to the gateway's ethernet 1 port, I can't connect to the internet...

I hate to ask the obvious phone CSR question, but did you power cycle everything after you made the bridge mode change? I have run into cases with gateway devices where that was necessary. And I have also seen cases where a router behind a modem (or another router) would not necessarily see that the connection was modified without manual intervention (such as a power cycle). And you must remember, that once the gateway box has been put into bridge mode, the old rule about power cycling everything comes into play whenever the attached CPE device is changed on a standard one IP address residential account (assuming that you made the gateway mode change with a PC directly connected, and then attached the router).

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
Thanks. I didn't say that I didn't "trust" you.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721 to owlyn

to owlyn
Are you using the right port? I know after full bridge mode only one port will function.

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to NetFixer

MVM

to NetFixer
Netfixer,

It may have been that I didn't do things in the right order. I have it working now. The trick seemed to be to connect everything normally- just as if the gateway was really just a modem. Once I did that, I was able to get to the internet, so I then placed the gateway in bridge mode, and it worked. I had originally bypassed my router and went from the gateway to the PC, switched to bridge mode, and then connected everything up (gateway->router->pc). I outhunk myself...

Anyway, all is fine now, except I have no IPv6. I read somewhere that Comcast does not yet support IPv6 on the DPC-3939. The firmware is there for it, though- at least there are places on the screens for the ipV6 settings. There was even an IPv6 firewall when it was not in bridge mode. Any word on this?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall

Premium Member

When I had a TG862 and put it into bridge mode, I had to reboot it a few times for the port to pass an IP over.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
said by owlyn:

Anyway, all is fine now, except I have no IPv6. I read somewhere that Comcast does not yet support IPv6 on the DPC-3939. The firmware is there for it, though- at least there are places on the screens for the ipV6 settings. There was even an IPv6 firewall when it was not in bridge mode. Any word on this?

My understanding is that the DPC3939 in RG mode will not support IPv6 yet for most Comcast customers, but it has been activated in a few select test areas (I have no idea where those areas are). If it is in bridge mode, my understanding is that it should support IPv6 for an attached PC or router the same as any standard DOCSIS3 cable modem. You might try Darknessfall's suggestion and reboot it a few times to see if that wakes it up. When it first powered up it was in RG mode, and then you reset it to bridge mode -- and that may have confused Comcast's IPv6 implementation somewhere in their infrastructure (and in my experience that is a very easy thing to do).

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

If it is in bridge mode, my understanding is that it should support IPv6 for an attached PC or router the same as any standard DOCSIS3 cable modem.

This is true it should work in bridge mode, but not in eRouter mode.. We need the latest firmware on all devices before we enabled dual-stack on the eRouter..

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

Thanks guys. I got IPv6 to work using my regular restore IPv6 technique, which is:

1. Disable IPv6 on my router.
2. Re-enable IPv6 on my router (these two steps clear the IPv6 address and who-knows-what-else out of the router (ASUS RT-AC66).
3. Here's the key step: unplug the ethernet cable from the modem side, not the router side. No, I don't know why, but this is the only way it works. Wait 10 seconds, and plug it back in. Within 10 seconds, an IPv6 address appears in the router, and all is well till the next physical reboot of the modem. Reboots due to ranging problems do not cause IPv6 to be lost.

Thanks again. Now I just hope that the gateway solves my twice daily ranging reboot problem.