Search similar:

uniqs
swbrains
join:2004-04-14
Land O Lakes, FL

swbrains

[Internet] Wi-Fi Speed Difference Between Laptop and Desktop

Hi,

This is not a problem with my internet service, just a question I'm hoping the folks here might have some insight into.

I have an RT-AC68U router that I purchased about a month or so ago and it works great. I also recently purchased a new desktop PC (ASRock VisionX 420D) which works great as well.

I noticed the other day that my laptop (about a year old) can connect to the router on the 2.4GHz radio and gets about 45-50 mbps on downloads and > 5 mbps on uploads which is great (I have the new 75 mbps tier service).

But my new desktop, also connected to the 2.4 GHz radio, only gets about 10 mbps on downloads. It gets > 40 mbps on the 5 GHz radio. But my old desktop also got >40 on the 2.4GHz radio, so something is amiss.

I tried changing channels for the 2.4 GHz radio at the router, but I was only able to change the download speed by a few mbps. In one case it went down to about 7 or 8 mbps and on another channel it went up to almost 15 mbps. Still, something appears to be off as I would think I should be able to pull similar speeds from both devices. They were both being tested from the same room in the house, and both showed decent signal strength from the WiFi.

Any ideas what else I might tinker with (on the PC or router) to improve the 2.4GHz speed on my Desktop? Or is it possible the 2.4GHz antenna in the new PC just isn't as good as my laptop or old desktop?

Thanks for any insights and suggestions!

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

Use the 5 GHZ band.

The integrated wifi adapter in your desktop is supposedly an 802.11AC piece.

GeNomer
join:2013-01-21
Indianapolis, IN

GeNomer to swbrains

to swbrains
This may sound weird, but I've seen it work sometimes. Try disabling WPS on your router, assuming it has a WPS feature. Also you might try with WMM off compared to when it is on.
swbrains
join:2004-04-14
Land O Lakes, FL

swbrains

Thanks. WPS appears to be off already in the config. I can only find one setting related to WMM called "Enable WMM APSD" which is enabled. According to the manual it's some type of power saving features related to wifi multimedia. Not sure if that would be the option you're talking about though.

GeNomer
join:2013-01-21
Indianapolis, IN

GeNomer

Yeah that's the one. Usually it's on by default. It does QoS stuff for things like voip and online gaming. Normally I say leave it on, but sometimes it can do wonky stuff to your speed, might be worth testing with it off. I'd turn it back on if it doesn't help though.