join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

Hide Tab Bar with One Tab - CTR bad?

No show stopper, just curious if anyone else has any insight to this one. I happen to be on Linux which sits on 33.0 at the moment.

Been using "Hide Tab Bar with One Tab" which, like most my extensions, gets back something slashed out of existence like "Retro Find", "Classic Theme Restorer" and "Status-4-Evar".

I discover CTR has the 1-tab-hide option so I disabled HTBW1T and it looks like I can eliminate an extension. Progress! BUT NOT TO BE...

Opening a link in a new tab now takes me to the same page I was on! Whoa, that's a bad one. Undo undo... phew!

I know it could be something conflicting. Anyone willing to quick test it in CTR? It's in Toolbars (2) in 1.2.6.

TIA

MarkRH
Premium Member
join:2005-02-08
Edmond, OK

MarkRH

Premium Member

I don't know that CTR really deals what opens in new tabs or not. I use Tab Mix Plus to control all that. Everything is unchecked on that page for me. I can disable TMP and see what happens with that checked.
MarkRH

MarkRH to Bill_MI

Premium Member

to Bill_MI
Well I disabled TMP and enable that option in CTR, It hides the tab bar when I only have one tab. Bookmarks now open in the same page because TMP is disabled. If I middle-click a link to open in a new tab then a new tab is created and content it loaded there. If click on link with a target of "_blank" then a new tab is created and content loaded there. So it seems to be working properly for me.

I am running version 33.1.1 in Windows 7.. not sure if that makes any difference.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI

Bill_MI

MVM

Thanks for testing, Mark. This Linux version could be the issue so I may try it Windows when I get the chance. If this weird behavior were common I think we'd hear a lot more but I find nothing.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Bill_MI

Premium Member

to Bill_MI

CTR 1.2.6 had bugs.

1.2.6.1 is offered already.

Who knows....

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

A good thought, Dave, but no change.

I did get a chance to test it in XP. SAME BUG but it syncs pretty much everything. I manually add 17 settings that should sync, IMHO.

My notes follow so read at your own risk.

New findings 11/24/14
A third and forth tab... same error. Tried 4 total tabs.
The new tab title is the new page. Only the page appearance is the original page.
Closing the 1st/original tab and the second tab displays properly and becomes the 1st tab.
However, subsequent tabs again display the 1st tab's content!
Links work on these phantom tab displays.
But this is interesting... if I click a link in any tab, all tabs switch!
Opening a link in new window operates normally.
Interesting sequence:
Disable HTBW1T followed by complete restart.
Set the 1-Tab setting in CTR and instantly, things operate normally. No error.
Restart the browser and the fun begins.
Completely uninstalling HTBW1T changes nothing.

Windows XP
Fx Sync removed HTBW1T. Restart.
CTR is at 1.2.3
Operation is normal but CTR Hide 1 Tab does NOT work, several restarts to confirm.
Saved pictures H1T_XP_1-5
Update CTR to 1.2.6.1
Operates perfectly H1T_XP_6-7
Restart Fx
SAME BUG!!! H1T_XP_8-13
Dang! missed opportunity to test CTR 1.2.3 - wrong setting tried (Tab Close).

Xubuntu 14.04
SAME BUG!
Saved Pictures HIT_XUB1404_1-9

Ubuntu Mate 14.10
SAME BUG!
Hadn't been setup so set up with sync from scratch.
This means it NEVER SAW HTBW1T.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

That bug is weird, and I will need to think about it, as it seems to be more than just whether your Tab Bar hides some of the time.

However, and to digress slightly, I cannot even recall the last time that I had ONLY ONE TAB OPEN ( confirmed tab-oholic here )

Personally, I do not use that function, and my tab bar is always present.

Instead, I strive to only reduce somewhat the height of the things which I DO want/need to see/use, and to make other stuff hide all of the time.

I also have my task bar on the left, to increase vertical space for content (a tradition of over a decade, since my days of Win 98).

Next is a screenshot of my XP PC, where I am typing this post on FF 24.8.1 ESR, also showing which extensions I have been using :
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Click for full size
This is the full 1280x1024 screen, details as posted above.

Note how much vertical space I have for web content.

As you can see, Tab Mix Plus controls how my tabs behave in this browser, and they behave well, and with a great variety of choices in the TMP options.

If it was just one of your installs misbehaving as you described, it would be easier to understand, but ALL of them, including a new install ?

Weird indeed !

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

Click for full size
I could never tolerate that small (horizontally) of a URL field with the huge jibberish they contain. I'll stick with my simplicity.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Fair enough.

BTW, I just updated my last 2 posts.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI

Bill_MI

MVM

LOL! Gimme a shout if I caught anything you didn't want.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

No, it was pretty much just additions to the text, HeHe....

I was just reviewing your posts now, and I have a question.

This 'sync' thing - Does it sync more than just your bookmarks (or can you choose what to sync), and is it part of the browser, or is it an extension ?

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

Sync is built into Firefox since early 20-something I think. It's a Mozilla account that stores everything, supposedly encrypted.

This picture speaks 1000 words what you can sync. HOWEVER, there's a bunch of about:config settings (I'm up to 17 now) I'm hell-bent on that do not sync by default so I manually add these so they do.

I've been testing various extensions like NoScript to sync settings, also, which may be getting close to working.

MarkRH
Premium Member
join:2005-02-08
Edmond, OK
ARRIS BGW210-700
ARRIS TM3402
Asus RT-AC68

MarkRH to Bill_MI

Premium Member

to Bill_MI
said by Bill_MI:

Thanks for testing, Mark. This Linux version could be the issue so I may try it Windows when I get the chance. If this weird behavior were common I think we'd hear a lot more but I find nothing.

Not sure if I mentioned it but when I tested it, I was using CTR 1.2.7beta1.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI

Bill_MI

MVM

Thanks for the mention, Mark. It may be fixed soon. I did find out one thing - after adding the option it'll instantly work ok. Only after restarting does it go silly.