spc
Search similar:

uniqs
lethcoeb
join:2003-07-15
Houston, TX

lethcoeb

[Equip] Opinions of best modem for futureproofing

My mother-in-law is letting me redo her home network for Christmas.

I am seeking your expert opinions for the best modem to buy for her, to replace the rented Comcast modem, that will keep her in good shape for the next generation of DOCSIS.

Thanks!
Bryan

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

jlivingood

Premium Member

[Equip] Re: Opinions of best modem for futureproofing

Take a look at the recommended list at »mynewmodem.comcast.net/. These all support IPv6 and have decent performance potential for the future.

I am sure others here will have more specific recommendations!

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to lethcoeb

Premium Member

to lethcoeb
Does she also have their phone service ?
lethcoeb
Houston, TX

lethcoeb

said by EG:

Does she also have their phone service ?

She does, but keeping it is not a prerequisite.
lethcoeb

lethcoeb to jlivingood

to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

Take a look at the recommended list at »mynewmodem.comcast.net/. These all support IPv6 and have decent performance potential for the future.

I am sure others here will have more specific recommendations!

Thanks - I'm familiar with the complete list - just wondering if anyone has a specific recommendation from the "compatible" modems.

Personally I have the SB6141 which has worked just fine, but I want to get some ideas beyond my experience!
lethcoeb

1 recommendation

lethcoeb

I should also note that I only need the "modem" function - no wireless, no router (although I realize some have these built in) - those functions will be carried by other hardware, and most of her house is actually wired CAT5, which is sufficient generally for her needs.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG to lethcoeb

Premium Member

to lethcoeb
If she does decide to keep it, see this;

The first thing she should do is to call in or go to the local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC.

The personnel that work there seem to better know what the actual local franchise's policies really are than do support reps at the national 800 number.

If allowed, here is a very good current tech eMTA;

»www.amazon.com/Arris-TM8 ··· 0721TUNS

Be sure to purchase brand new modems in the original packaging from reputable retailers only !!

Here is a phone number for activating customer owned eMTA's;

1-800-931-0790

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to lethcoeb

to lethcoeb

Re: [Equip] Opinions of best modem for futureproofing

If you don't mind spending a little bit more, I will suggest the Surboard SB6183. Twice the downstream capacity will help future proof things even more.

»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· s=sb6183

anon_coward
@24.14.144.x

anon_coward to lethcoeb

Anon

to lethcoeb
D3CM1604

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by anon_coward :

D3CM1604

FWIW, that device has a built in eMTA which you don't need if you don't also have their phone service. Also re-visit post number 7 if she plans to keep the voice service.
lethcoeb
Houston, TX

lethcoeb

said by EG:

said by anon_coward :

D3CM1604

FWIW, that device has a built in eMTA which you don't need if you don't also have their phone service. Also re-visit post number 7 if she plans to keep the voice service.

The D3CM1604 looks good, but relatively unobtainable - will see if it pops up for sale on (non-EBay) legitimate sites...

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

N.M.
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11 to lethcoeb

to lethcoeb
I'd buy the cheapest docsis 3 modem you can find. In about two years, any modem you buy now will start to be out of date with Docsis 3.1 coming out.

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to lethcoeb

to lethcoeb
What down load speed is being purchased or might be purchased in the future? For speeds up to ~ 25 or 50 Mbit/sec, most any DOCSIS 3 modem will work but for higher speeds, like 100 Mbits/sec, a modem that has 8 download channels would give best results. I have a Zoom Technologies modem and am very happy with it. The current model is the 5341j, a good choice and it has 8 down stream channels. Remember, you should buy your modem from a retail store such as Best Buy, Staples, where you know it's not returned merchandise or stolen and sold on line. Amazon should be ok if it's sold by Amazon and not "who knows who." Stolen or returned modems often cannot be activated by Comcast.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

1 edit

iNick to lethcoeb

Premium Member

to lethcoeb
said by Streetlight:

What down load speed is being purchased or might be purchased in the future? For speeds up to ~ 25 or 50 Mbit/sec, most any DOCSIS 3 modem will work but for higher speeds, like 100 Mbits/sec, a modem that has 8 download channels would give best results. I have a Zoom Technologies modem and am very happy with it. The current model is the 5341j, a good choice and it has 8 down stream channels. Remember, you should buy your modem from a retail store such as Best Buy, Staples, where you know it's not returned merchandise or stolen and sold on line. Amazon should be ok if it's sold by Amazon and not "who knows who." Stolen or returned modems often cannot be activated by Comcast.

Well if She has Performance then that will either be 25Mb/s Down or 50Mb/s Down but if she has Blast! Then I would recommend a 8x4 Modem.

Edit: I would buy an SB6183 at Best Buy or an 6141 both made by Motorola.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to EG

Premium Member

to EG
said by EG:

said by anon_coward :

D3CM1604

The D3CM1604(the one approved by Comcast) is the non-voice version.

The D3CM1604V(not approved) is the eMTA version.
Platinum0
join:2003-05-23
Knoxville, TN

Platinum0 to lethcoeb

to lethcoeb
I bought the SB 6141 from best buy when it was on sale a few months ago. I had to get the local store to price match the online price of their own website by pulling up the price on my phone and showing it to the cash register worker. good luck but it cost $65 a few months ago, and is currently on sale for $88 at best buy.

Robyn
@69.180.78.x

Robyn to lethcoeb

Anon

to lethcoeb
said by lethcoeb:

My mother-in-law is letting me redo her home network for Christmas.

I am seeking your expert opinions for the best modem to buy for her, to replace the rented Comcast modem, that will keep her in good shape for the next generation of DOCSIS.

Thanks!
Bryan

What's wrong with the Comcast rental modem?

I'm probably older than your MIL (I'm 67) - my husband too (he's 69) - and my father (96) is almost certainly older. And none of us expect our current equipment to outlive us! In fact - my current modem - about 3-4 years old - is failing. I just ordered a new one. Free - not even a shipping charge. At $8/month for a rental fee - what's not to like?

Also - it doesn't seem from what you wrote that your MIL has a home network. Because you said she didn't need "wireless". Our household and my father's have wireless networks. We use them for various computers in our houses - our phones - our Rokus and other internet TVs - etc.

I think for most people - especially older people - the operative rule is "if it ain't broke"....

So - unless you're addressing any particular deficiency in your MIL's system - forget about it.

OTOH - you can teach us old dogs new tricks. Instead of buying a new modem/router - buy her a great bluetooth speaker so she can stream Christmas music off her computer. Or a Roku. Or an internet TV. Or even a Kindle. And show her how to use the thing(s). My father didn't know what a Roku was until I showed him last holiday season - and now he's addicted. Robyn
lethcoeb
Houston, TX

lethcoeb

Robyn,
1) It's her idea (see below).
2) She does not want to rent the modem anymore, given the upcoming $10 / month charge - within 12-18 months the replacement modem will pay for itself. She is well off enough that the upfront costs (or monthly charges) don't matter too much but I would like to obtain kit which will be in place for as long as possible.
3) Her current setup was established for their work - my in-laws ran their business from their home after moving to Houston from Florida, and it currently uses a Windows Server to control DHCP, etc. Every room is wired CAT5 and we are using redundant rollover switches to connect all of the hardware and had failover in place to DSL to ensure continuity in case her Business Internet from Comcast has problems.
A year after they have closed the business she wants to simplify into a regular home network - remove the server, put all DHCP / router functions to a single wireless router, still keep wired in place where it makes sense for her PC's, internet connected TV's, etc. She has an extensive, overly complicated setup that we want to simplify, and I'd like to make it stick for as long as possible so I don't have to come back in within a couple of years and upgrade router, etc. again.
4) My father-in-law passed away shortly after they closed the business, and this is another step towards closure and simplifying her life. She's relatively tech savvy, with multiple internet TV's, handhelds (iPhone and iPad), etc. so not much need to help her there.

The modem is the first piece of the puzzle.

Robyn
@69.180.78.x

Robyn

Anon

I'm kind of agnostic when it comes to buying/renting. My primary concern is that everything works consistently. I've had an Arris "gateway" rental for perhaps 3+ years now - and it has - until recently - always worked fine on multiple devices (except for the internet TV at the exact opposite end of the house - 60+ feet away through many walls - including exterior concrete walls). About a week or so ago - the wifi seemed to be dying. So I ordered a new Arris modem from Comcast. And today got in the mail a Technicolor instead. Don't want to fool with that (too many negative reviews). And then I got a Thanksgiving present. My Arris wifi perked up again. Probably only a temporary present. But a nice reprieve over the holiday weekend.

So I called Comcast. And bottom line with a rental (whether ordered on the phone or picked up at a local office) is it's pretty much "luck of the draw". So - if my wifi gets on its deathbed again - I'd look into the Arris line. And - next time around - I'd consider buying instead of renting. Robyn
hardly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-10
USA

hardly to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood

Re: [Equip] Re: Opinions of best modem for futureproofing

Any information on when the ZyXEL BRG-35503 will be approved for IPv6 ?

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

I am told that the DOCSIS 3.0 spec includes IPv6.

Thanks
lethcoeb
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

lethcoeb

Re: [Equip] Opinions of best modem for futureproofing

In case anyone is interested, I managed a relatively painless installation of an Xfinity-branded Arris TG862G/CT to replace my MIL's leased eMTA Arris TG862, along with removing a bunch of unnecessary networking kit and replacing all of it with an Apple Airport Extreme (and an additional gigabit switch).

I did the setup completely through the walled garden without having to call anyone at Comcast, to include setting the TG862G/CT into bridge mode. No double NAT now, which we had with her former setup, based on her former business, which was incredibly kludgey after Comcast came in and changed her from business to residential service (i.e. 3 different WiFi networks - 2 residing on the eMTA and 1 on a separate wireless router, and a Windows Server still dishing out DNS).

We had FW version 7.6.86L on the TG862G/CT after the Comcast initialization was complete.

When everything was said and done, she was pulling down speeds of 120Mbps down / 12 Mbps up, and all of here wired and wireless devices were happy.

This should keep her happy for a few years...

mig288
Premium Member
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ

mig288 to lethcoeb

Premium Member

to lethcoeb
Not to hijack this thread but I was considering purchasing this cable modem - ARRIS / Motorola Surfboard SBG6782-AC 3.0 Cable Modem and Wi-Fi Router. Has anyone had any issues with rebooting on this specific modem?

Thank you