Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

1 recommendation

diskace to HeadSpinning

Premium Member

to HeadSpinning

Re: CRTC Wholesale hearing

I have no faith in Retail Minus. In my view, retail minus won't work because there will always be bundle and special discounts off record. Cost based is good but it's more homework to do every 2-3 years (you can't put it on auto pilot 10 years). Ask yourself how many users call in to get retention deals and who really pay the retail price advertised. At the end of the day, if CRTC prefer retail minus, fair enough but it can't be based on advertised price as many price-conscious customers negotiate off record.

Again what we ask is simple, refresh the current CBB rates every 2-3 years. (Rates were approved end of 2011), we're due for an update as market has evolved greatly in the last 3 years. Capacity of networks has risen greatly and cost of transport has dropped greatly due to a wide adoption of 10 Gig + equipment across the network (Switch, routers, edge routers etc...). We're collectively consuming more and all this traffic is flowing on faster equipment with better capacity yet the tariff is still on auto pilot.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by diskace:

Again what we ask is simple, refresh the current CBB rates every 2-3 years.

Just build your own access network, and stop being a parasite on the poor incumbents' backs! :-D
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

As JF's friend Bibic said the other day:

Despite the claims made by Primus and the Canadian Network Operators Consortium, Bibic said that the regulator should take more time to study whether they should create new regulations to drive new competition.

"None of the evidence supports mandating access to our fiber-to-the-home [FTTH] networks now," Bibic said. "So, today, don't mandate access."

Bibic added that "If [the CRTC] feels down the road %u2026 three to five years that you want to look at it again to make sure our predictions are correct, look at it again."

[Aside]: Yes CRTC, just give us 3-5 more years of excluding indie ISP's from fiber and you can then launch an investigation of why there are no longer any independent ISP's in Canada. I'm sure your conclusion at that time will be the same as ours - that the owners of the indie ISP's thought a better use of their capital would be to pay their bankruptcy lawyers and trustees-in-bankruptcy fees."

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983

Subscribe: /r/CanadianBroadband

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

diskace to HeadSpinning

Premium Member

to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

said by diskace:

Again what we ask is simple, refresh the current CBB rates every 2-3 years.

Just build your own access network, and stop being a parasite on the poor incumbents' backs! :-D

Sure, we have 40k users. At 1000$ each, we're looking at a 40-50M$ Capex and that's only in dense area. Where do we sign the loan we will never be able to pay back because incumbent will drop their price below retail pricing as early as when there is a third wire competing in the area.

Seriously the CRTC is aware of what will happen. Lower CBB rates as close as possible to cost and you could start seeing initiatives to build facilities just to get away from predatory practice in service delivery.
GoRaptors
join:2011-07-22
London, ON

GoRaptors to resa1983

to resa1983
Are these still going on or?

Keep fighting the good fight everybody!

Would love to see Cable/DSL internet prices drop by $10/$15 across the board

for all/everybody! Cheers! :P! ! !
jibby
join:2008-03-31

jibby to diskace

to diskace
said by diskace:

Sure, we have 40k users. At 1000$ each, we're looking at a 40-50M$ Capex and that's only in dense area. Where do we sign the loan we will never be able to pay back because incumbent will drop their price below retail pricing as early as when there is a third wire competing in the area.

Seriously the CRTC is aware of what will happen. Lower CBB rates as close as possible to cost and you could start seeing initiatives to build facilities just to get away from predatory practice in service delivery.

Remember when Novus came around in Vancouver and Shaw started selling all their services to only Novus-served buildings at $15? And Novus took it to court and Shaw claimed that they were still making money at $15

yet somehow their CBB rates aren't nearly that low

its funny how they can claim one set of costs to the courts and yet the CRTC gets a totally different story :lol:
GoRaptors
join:2011-07-22
London, ON

GoRaptors to resa1983

to resa1983
Are these still ongoing or?

I hope everybody there is still fighting the good fight to get our internet prices

back to more rationale standards! Cheers! :P! ! !
fmradio68
join:2013-07-05
Montreal, QC

fmradio68 to jibby

to jibby
Sounds like something Videotron would do. if they haven't already.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to creed3020

to creed3020
Click for full size
Pole by my house
Click for full size
A
Click for full size
Side picture of a recent
said by creed3020:

Bibic " We are on the cusp of being the envy of the world"

Hmmm... My area doesn't even have DSL nor cable. The voice lines are of extremely low quality, with cross talk, hum, and static.

I am posting some pictures of the lines that service my house.

Does Bibic of Bell Canada think line maintenance such as this is enviable in a first world country such as Canada?

oh my
@184.162.48.x

oh my

Anon

@jumpingryan
Must be the squirrels doing th damage.
Does your area of Canada have squirrels by chance?
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by oh my :

Must be the squirrels doing th damage.
Does your area of Canada have squirrels by chance?

All kinds of wildlife. But for some reason, the fibre servicing the roads either side of me for the past few years just doesn't look like that!

Perhaps the fibre is indeed squirrel proof?

But back to who did that... the box pictures are actually a repair after an outage. The line was in the box, now it is like that to fix the outage!

A Bell tech did that work to repair the network! It has been like this for months!

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to jumpingryan

to jumpingryan
that's the cost of living in a rural area, the property and taxes are usually way less expensive and you don't get paved roads, street lights or wired high speed internet and so on.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by jmck:

that's the cost of living in a rural area, the property and taxes are usually way less expensive and you don't get paved roads, street lights or wired high speed internet and so on.

You would be pretty surprised of how "rural" I actually am, along with how close I am to wired and fibre access. That is the main kicker for me, and the true digital divide. It's not like high speed is tens of KM from me. It is a quick jog down the road.

I am on one acre, with the typical size of lots being 1 to 2 acres. Many neighbourhoods are pretty much one acre... especially those that lack city sewer services and use septic.

This is literally a neighbourhood that doesn't have any DSL here.... it is just that some parts were lucky enough to get Cogeco cable.

My line run is pretty much a digital divide... within 3 KM... Fibre to the pole.... the other direction 2 KM, fibre to the pole... the 3rd direction Cogeco (but no Bell DSL... we are on the same line run for landline copper back to the CO). The 4th direction is yet to be developed.

Unfortunately I am not at the cusp of being the envy of anybody! LOL And I think the pictures show it! LOL

You would also be surprised at the actual wireline internet coverage in many areas now. Huge acreages (one I know of, 40 acres... another house I checked... 200 acres) with great FTTN or better. This acreages might be 10 KM from me.

On another thread, I was around Renfrew and posted some pictures, and the outskirts when I had some time to kill there. Lots of fibre and 7330's in some pretty remote areas. Castleford and River Road... near rural renfrew has a 7330. Golden Lake is fibre.... Round Lake is FTTN.

Those areas likely have less population density than mine per KM.

It's likely Bell intentionally or unintenionally missed a line run in my case.

I would also argue against some of the perceptions of lack profitability in rural areas for wireline companies. Usually there is only one provider of access for wireline. Usually the disruption for work and overall job is alot less complicated. Usually you can go aerial to the pole in front of the house.

I will also generalize by stating, rural areas and people often have money, and don't argue over paying less than $40 for a 25 Mbps service in their 1.5 bedroom condo.... and then whine about a 300 gig cap or something! LOL

In my case, if I had the choice of anything Bell offered, I would be doing the 175/175 plan, or 250/250 business plan..... I would pay around $400 monthly for either! I'm here to do business, Bell! LOL

Anyways, I don't want to turn this into a rural vs urban flame.... I really wish everyone great access....