spc
Search similar:

uniqs

GregCMCSE
@76.173.41.x

GregCMCSE

Anon

[Internet] Stuck at 100 mbps with Arris SB6183 and Asus RT-AC66R router

Having an odd problem, and I'm wondering if it's unique to this combo or if others are seeing it too. I'm using an Asus RT-AC66R, which is supposed to have all Gigabit ports together with the new SB6183 and speedtest.net (and all others) flatline at a little under 100 mbps. If I take out the router, the SurfBoard modem connects directly to my computer and I'm able to download at nearly the full 300 mbps. I'm guessing the modem and router are negotiating 100 mbit instead of gigabit -- but there are no settings on either one to force gigabit or even determine the speed for sure. I'm using a high quality cable between them and tried a couple of other ones just to make sure it wasn't a bad cable. I don't really want to shell out a huge premium for another 802.11AC router... especially when the Asus routers are supposed to be the best out there.

Anyone else seeing this?
kdhamann
join:2003-11-08
Medina, OH

kdhamann

I would check to make sure hardware acceleration is on and quality of service is off. If that isn't it and your config is not too complicated I would write down your settings and reset the router to factory defaults.

If that's not it, it might be worth looking forums.smallnetbuilder.com. I have the Asus RT-N66U and they just had a thread where someone with my router was having the same issues, and it was resolved. As far as I know the firmware is almost identical for the two routers (no AC speed for me though).

Hope that helps!

Ut98Ex
join:2012-07-11
Georgetown, TX

Ut98Ex

Check your QOS settings. Either disable it or set it appropriately. I had a similar issue where my upload was being capped lower than what I was paying for and I had the QOS setup incorrectly.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX

PamelaTS to GregCMCSE

to GregCMCSE
Double check your WAN port connection your type didn't accidentally get set to 100.

Which firmware are you using?
I'm on Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.376_2524
Osofast240sx
join:2014-11-06
Fresh Meadows, NY

Osofast240sx to GregCMCSE

to GregCMCSE
Click for full size
This is with the ac68u it may be worth the upgrade.

mannibis
join:2014-08-08
Astoria, NY

mannibis to GregCMCSE

to GregCMCSE
Disable QoS like someone else mentioned. That will surely throttle your d/l speed...I don't think these new routers can handle the 300 Mbps coming in.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater

MVM

said by mannibis:

Disable QoS like someone else mentioned. That will surely throttle your d/l speed...I don't think these new routers can handle the 300 Mbps coming in.

The Asus RT-AC66R is cabable of 800Mbps WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· s-retest
Napsterbater

Napsterbater to GregCMCSE

MVM

to GregCMCSE
Per the Gigabit spec you cannot hard code/lock the port to 1gig, it had to be negotiated.

You are probably right, I bet the two devices are only negotiating 100 meg for some reason but neither the modem or the router seem to have different color light showing the status of the speed, Have you updated the Router to the latest firmware from Asus?

Mannibis1
@70.208.80.x

Mannibis1 to Napsterbater

Anon

to Napsterbater
I should have said that the QoS can't handle it. I had a Linksys EA6900 with QoS turned on and it throttled my download to around 220 Mbps. Turned it off and was getting my full 325 Mbps

Perhaps the processor that handles the QoS isn't fast enough?

GregCMCSE
@76.173.41.x

GregCMCSE to Napsterbater

Anon

to Napsterbater
said by Napsterbater:

Per the Gigabit spec you cannot hard code/lock the port to 1gig, it had to be negotiated.

You are probably right, I bet the two devices are only negotiating 100 meg for some reason but neither the modem or the router seem to have different color light showing the status of the speed, Have you updated the Router to the latest firmware from Asus?

Nice call, yes, the modem does have a green light that wasn't lit at 100 mbps. I updated the firmware on the Asus router and decided to use the cheap-looking cable that came with the modem -- darned if it didn't come on with the green light.

I'm still seeing only a little over 200 mbps, though. When I connect the modem directly to the PC, I'm getting over 300 mbps. I may try wiping the router config and going vanilla just to see if that changes the speed at all.

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769 to Osofast240sx

to Osofast240sx
At least Fios matches the Download and Upload speeds. 300/300
ViperJohn
join:2000-03-23
Santa Ana, CA

1 edit

ViperJohn

said by Rick4769:

Oh FIOS...that service that Verizon stopped building out a long time ago and walking away from contracts
with like 1% completed while taking all the $ from tax breaks and subsidies to do the work with them.

Viper

Jay2
@75.84.205.x

Jay2 to GregCMCSE

Anon

to GregCMCSE
I'm also having the same issue with the same equipment. Download maxes around 200 and getting 320+ when directly connected to the modem. Latest firmware and everything.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to ViperJohn

MVM

to ViperJohn
said by ViperJohn:

said by Rick4769:

Oh FIOS...that service that Verizon stopped building out a long time ago and walking away from contracts
with like 1% completed while taking all the $ from tax breaks and subsidies to do the work with them.

Viper

:(

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to Rick4769

Premium Member

to Rick4769
said by Rick4769:

And this has precisely what to do with the subject in hand?

Hob
Vitality9
Premium Member
join:2014-06-15

Vitality9 to Rick4769

Premium Member

to Rick4769
... Off topic ...

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

And this has precisely what to do with the subject in hand?

Hob

Who cares?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by bluepoint:

Who cares?

Me. These are informational forums not a forum that needs to be taken off topic by ex customers.

Hob