spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ladybearbc
@154.20.56.x

ladybearbc

Anon

[Serious] researching Landline vs cell phone + Internet

I am in BC - an apparently we don't have all the nice choices that are available in the rest of Canada. So I am hoping someone can help with the research and feedback for the suggestions

We are with Telus 6mb/100g for internet and landline - Our monthly cost is $71.?? and according to telus it is going up by $5 on the next bill - so $76.
Our basic Virgin mobile phone bill is $22.70
And I use Skype for long distance (that includes minimal US calls) $3 US/month

I really wanted to lower the costs a bit - so researched cell phones
PC seems to give the best with 500 minutes @ $39.99/month - and the unlimited weeknights and weekends could cover my LD charge with Skype

But when I do that (cancel my landline) Telus will up my internet cost by another $5 - so now we are at about $60/month

I have only seen teksavvy as an option here - but I don't think they have unlimited or a very high allowance of gb/month -

Also - once I cancel my phone line - does that mean I have to pay the dry loop charges?

And - does anyone know of a free VOIP service in Canada?

Thank you

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

Hello,

I'm in Ontario so plans may be slightly different.

Teksavvy does have unlimited (in ontario) I would think they have the same there if not you should have 300gb/month as we do.

When you do not have an active regular phone line then most companies will charge you $5-$10 for a dry loop, however switching to say VOIP you will save well over $5 so it makes it worth it. Take a look at Teksavvy TekTalk prices are fair.

I'm not sure about cell phones in BC however if WIND Mobile is decent around there maybe have a look at their plans.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to ladybearbc

Premium Member

to ladybearbc
There are 3rd party VoIP services. As an example I am sure that you have heard of Vonage.

Acrovoice is a full-service VoIP provider meaning that they handle everything for you. They have a very good reputation and are even based in BC.
»www.acrovoice.ca/content ··· _service

There are many BYOD VoIP providers available at great prices, one example would be Voip.MS but any BYOD service is not for the tech newcomer.
»voip.ms/

Yes there is also a free Canadian VoIP service, but you do pay an extra charge if you want to use your own VoIP phone adapter (ATA) rather than make calls through the computer:
»www.freephoneline.ca/
They are by the way associated with the paid service Fongo.