Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to HeadSpinning

Premium Member

to HeadSpinning

Re: "Project Latte": Bell doesn't like being left out in the streaming world

said by HeadSpinning:

the big draw of Netflix is that you don't need to subscribe to traditional cable TV to get it.

You just pays your moneys and takes your chances.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning
Don't need to subscribe to TV for Shomi either, even with it's current limited beta availability.

I'm still pretty sure they're going to release it to the wild completely, at least for OTT, but then I didn't think Bell would tie Latte to a tv sub...
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

Anzio to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

It likely took Bell two years to come up with the name.

said by bt:

but then I didn't think Bell would tie Latte to a tv sub...

The codename came from the price. A latte is around $4.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

1 recommendation

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Which will go up by 5 bucks in six months if they follow along as they do with every other product.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to HeadSpinning

Premium Member

to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

Still a big giant fail. I don't see how Crave or Shomi really compete with Netflix, since the big draw of Netflix is that you don't need to subscribe to traditional cable TV to get it.

And that it works independently on 100's of devices... You'll never see the mafia clones work on smart tv's or other appliances, just apps on phones/tablets, and computers.

It's stupid for people without a dedicated HTPC connected to a TV or ones that don't want to hook up their laptops to tv via cables, etc...

And Bell of course does the even more retarded thing and requires a TV sub...

v6movement
@135.23.225.x

v6movement to TwiztedZero

Anon

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

You just pays your moneys and takes your chances.

As you do with everything.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to ekster

to ekster
And for many Canadians, totally irrelevant. No link to ExpressVu subscribers. No link to the many Eastlink analogue systems. Bah.
bt
canada

bt

said by DKS:

No link to ExpressVu subscribers. No link to the many Eastlink analogue systems.

No service through their existing STBs, but I haven't seen anything saying that those customers can't still subscribe and use the over-the-top portion of the service.
Anzio

Anzio

In fact, they explicitly state it will be available to Bell Satellite TV customers in their media release.
quote:
With an objective of getting CraveTV into as many Canadian homes as possible, Bell Media has offered the service to all TV providers. … TELUS Optik TV, Bell Fibe TV, Bell Aliant FibreOP TV, and Bell Satellite TV at launch. Today, Bell Media confirmed that Eastlink is the latest distribution partner for CraveTV and will make the service available at launch, while Northwestel and other Canadian Cable Systems Alliance (CCSA) members will also provide the service soon.
Source: »www.bellmediapr.ca/Netwo ··· -CraveTV
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by Anzio:

With an objective of getting CraveTV into as many Canadian homes as possible, Bell Media has offered the service to all TV providers.

If their objective was getting CraveTV in to as many Canadian homes as possible, they would have offered the service to any takers, not just those who pay a BDU for television service.

I can re word it for you:

"With an objective of reinforcing the existing BDU ecosystem, Bell Media will only offer CraveTV to customers who already subscribe to a TV provider."
Anzio

Anzio

They're beating Shomi right now with the range of providers. .

For us, this is a very nice addition to Netflix.

net flicks2
@206.47.249.x

net flicks2

Anon

if your trying to compare icravetv which requires a TV subscription against other providers like Net Flicks which does NOT require a TV subscription, then DONT COMPARE, they are different, its clear, no amount of arguing will change its model, instead of arguing, look at other streaming service providers instead (like tinky winkie, etc) and compare them to net flicks.

randolph1
@206.47.249.x

randolph1

Anon

i agree to the last poster
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to net flicks2

to net flicks2
said by net flicks2 :

if your trying to compare icravetv which requires a TV subscription against other providers like Net Flicks which does NOT require a TV subscription, then DONT COMPARE, they are different, its clear, no amount of arguing will change its model, instead of arguing, look at other streaming service providers instead (like tinky winkie, etc) and compare them to net flicks.

It's Netflix, not net flicks, and the only reason anyone is comparing Shomi and Crave TV (not icravetv) to Netflix is because Shomi and Crave are themselves claiming to be a "Canadian response to Netflix".
Cyborg994
join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC

Cyborg994 to ekster

to ekster
Will the data counts toward caps on Bell?
Anzio

Anzio to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

the only reason anyone is comparing Shomi and Crave TV (not icravetv) to Netflix is because Shomi and Crave are themselves claiming to be a "Canadian response to Netflix".

Forgive me, but where did they claim to be the Canadian response to Netflix?
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by Anzio:

Forgive me, but where did they claim to be the Canadian response to Netflix?

You have a point - I've been looking for where they themselves claim to be a response to Netflix, but all I can find are stories in the media calling them that. The actual press releases from the companies don't mention it at all - but it seems like every article in the various media have dubbed them that.
bt
canada

bt to Anzio

to Anzio
Doesn't outright say it, but certainly hints at it
quote:
"We respect what [Shomi is] doing and we think Canadian services should fight to protect the Canadian market %u2013 we don't believe it's right what Netflix has been able to do," Mr. Crull said. At a regulatory hearing in September, Bell executives complained that unregulated online competitors don't have to contribute to the Canadian broadcast system. "So we're pleased to see everybody working in this space, but we felt we could do something different and more meaningful, and that's been what our strategy is to pursue."
Anzio

Anzio to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

You have a point - I've been looking for where they themselves claim to be a response to Netflix, but all I can find are stories in the media calling them that.

Yeah, I think most end-users will be comparing both services (Shomi and CraveTV) to Netflix, for sure. I think media outlets have to throw Netflix into the article to catch the attention of people who would otherwise just pass it by.

I just wanted to see if they claimed that they were Canada's answer. It'd be pretty ballsy of them to try and claim to be our nations response to Netflix. I'm sure they wanted to say it! Can't make that claim without movies though.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to bt

to bt
said by bt:

we don't believe it's right what Netflix has been able to do," Mr. Crull said.

Comparison by contrast.... so they are in fact comparing themselves to Netflix.

newquote
@108.61.13.x

newquote

Anon

said by HeadSpinning:

no.... that was a quote from a regulatory hearing. The media just tied it into the CraveTV launch article.
Anzio

Anzio to ekster

to ekster
I hope the iOS apps support AirPlay. If they do, my folks and I will definitely be subscribing.
bt
canada

bt to newquote

to newquote
said by newquote :

said by HeadSpinning:

no.... that was a quote from a regulatory hearing. The media just tied it into the CraveTV launch article.

Yes, it was from September. But it's hard to read the whole quote and not read the the last part as referring to (the then unannounced) CraveTV.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Anzio

to Anzio
said by Anzio:

In fact, they explicitly state it will be available to Bell Satellite TV customers in their media release.

quote:
With an objective of getting CraveTV into as many Canadian homes as possible, Bell Media has offered the service to all TV providers. … TELUS Optik TV, Bell Fibe TV, Bell Aliant FibreOP TV, and Bell Satellite TV at launch. Today, Bell Media confirmed that Eastlink is the latest distribution partner for CraveTV and will make the service available at launch, while Northwestel and other Canadian Cable Systems Alliance (CCSA) members will also provide the service soon.
Source: »www.bellmediapr.ca/Netwo ··· -CraveTV

So how will they do that on a 5 meg DSL service? On the existing satellite service, when they claim transponder space is limited? I'll believe it when I see it. And it won't be available on analogue cable systems, of which Eastlink still has a lot. This is a complete rip off.
DKS

DKS to bt

to bt
said by bt:

said by DKS:

No link to ExpressVu subscribers. No link to the many Eastlink analogue systems.

No service through their existing STBs, but I haven't seen anything saying that those customers can't still subscribe and use the over-the-top portion of the service.

With what? My 6 gb of download data on my cell phone? My 5 meg DSL service that Bell refuses to upgrade?
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop to ekster

to ekster
I'm curious what the speed will be trying to load this with a Bell Fibe STB

When I access Videos on Demand it is so slow and that is nowhere near the graphic dispay that CraveTV has
Anzio

1 edit

Anzio to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

On the existing satellite service, when they claim transponder space is limited? I'll believe it when I see it. And it won't be available on analogue cable systems, of which Eastlink still has a lot.

Service is delivered exclusively through the internet? It's just ordered through your TV provider. Thought that was pretty obvious.

There is still a "link" to analog customers and satellite customers, since there's a good chance they have high-speed service as well.

Edit: With the exception of Fibe TV clients who will likely have access through their STB. 5Mb DSL is also more than capable of streaming content.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

said by Anzio:

There is still a "link" to analog customers and satellite customers, since there's a good chance they have high-speed service as well.

Not necessarily. There are still people with satellite and basic dial-up because there is no broadband provider in their area.
Anzio

Anzio

said by mr weather:

Not necessarily. There are still people with satellite and basic dial-up because there is no broadband provider in their area.

There's still technically a link to them, even if they can't watch it at home. They're free to go to Starbucks or something.

Or there's always satellite internet.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Anzio

to Anzio
said by Anzio:

said by DKS:

On the existing satellite service, when they claim transponder space is limited? I'll believe it when I see it. And it won't be available on analogue cable systems, of which Eastlink still has a lot.

Service is delivered exclusively through the internet? It's just ordered through your TV provider. Thought that was pretty obvious.

Edit: With the exception of Fibe TV clients who will likely have access through their STB. 5Mb DSL is also more than capable of streaming content.

ROTFL! I have Eastlink at my cottage. Do you think for one second their analogue system is going to accommodate this crap? Not.

"Fibe" does not exist outside urban areas. If you have ExpressVu or whatever Bell marketing jerks are calling it today, you have nothing BUT satellite and if you do as Bell wants you to do, a dialup link. Most people don't plug their receivers in. There is no set top box for the 5 meg DSL service. There is a modem that thinks it is a router.

Read my lips. There is no link. This is just another demonstration of the digital divide.