Search similar:

uniqs

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to IamGimli

to IamGimli

Re: The Ticking time bomb called Auto Loans

Yep, had those salesmen too, was interested in my last car and had multiple meetings/test drives with the same salesman, in the end he couldn't meet price target and found a dealer an hour away willing to do it mostly through email communication.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to prairiesky

Premium Member

to prairiesky
which is why i stated it is less likely to leak through the tire (rubber) over time.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky

eh, I f'd that up. N2 is smaller than O2....

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

it's atomic weight is smaller, but in terms of permeation, it isn't.
dirtyjeffer0

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

as well, Nitrogen got its popularity in racing and commercial applications...in racing, you have very high speeds and extreme pressures/forces applied to tires (which can also cause large variations in temperature)...in commercial applications, like aircraft tires, the same thing applies...while aircraft aren't being driven around the airport at high speeds, the tires are subjected to lots of mass when landing, and large temperature differences in relatively short periods of time...for example, a jet could take off in London ON at 3pm in January where it is -30C...3 hours later, it lands in Miami where it is +30C...as well, in the summer, it can take off London where it is +30C and reach temperatures of -40C to -60C when cruising at high altitudes (30,000 to 40,000 feet), which it can likely achieve in 20 minutes.

since your regular passenger vehicle isn't subjected to such extreme conditions, it isn't as crucial or important on a car, but it is still a benefit nonetheless...it is up to you to determine if it is worth it...for me, there is no added cost, so no need to not have it done.
prairiesky
canada

prairiesky to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

it's atomic weight is smaller, but in terms of permeation, it isn't.

I had mentally reversed 02 and N2 from the article.
prairiesky

to dirtyjeffer0
the reason it's used in aircraft is not due to temperatures, rather because it's not oxygen, and therefore won't combust....
jpaik
join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON

jpaik to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
So we've gone from talking about the ticking time bomb called auto loans to discussing the atomic weight of nitrogen.

Any chance the thread will be released from the hijackers?

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

Premium Member

to prairiesky
said by prairiesky:

the reason it's used in aircraft is not due to temperatures, rather because it's not oxygen, and therefore won't combust....

there is that, but there is also plenty of oxygen in an aircraft anyway...the amount of oxygen in the tires is minute compared to the rest of the aircraft.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

Sure, but the rest of the plane may not be heated to the combustion point in the case of a landing gear problem, nor would much, if any, of the oxygen on the plane be compressed (but perhaps I'm very wrong about that).

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

compared to the amount of "air" in a plane and around it, the minute amount in the tires is of no concern...they are far more concerned about stable inflation than combustible air in the tires...the same is the case for racing...a few tires worth of air won't make much of a difference to an aircraft, surrounded in air, and carrying thousands of gallons of jet fuel, should something happen...that doesn't mean there isn't ANY potential for a problem, but from what i have read, stable performance (predictable response) is why Nitrogen is used, NOT for anything fire related.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

Fair enough.
prairiesky
canada

to dirtyjeffer0
from Mickey T's website

Nitrogen inflation in tires is gaining popularity in the light vehicle (passenger and light truck) market. Nitrogen inflation in tires is not new to the tire industry however, and has been used under severe service conditions such as in large off-road tires, aircraft tires (as fire prevention) and racing tires for many years. Nitrogen inflation does not harm tires nor does it affect the warranty.

here's an explanation of it from someone

"
Nitrogen is put in plane tires for one reason only. Fire protection. The Brakes on a normal landing will get as high as 600 degrees C. The carbon brakes in the center of the hub will then heat the metal rim to near or above the flash point of rubber. Aircraft tires are from about 150psi - 200 psi at ambient temp, and the wheel wells are unpressurized.

The flash point of the tires will be reached a lot sooner on the inside of the tire than the outside of the tire if there was O2 inside the tire (around 20 percent in ambient air) under pressure. With no O2, inside the tire the chances of a tire fire are reduced dramatically.

A tire fire in flight is a VERY big deal. There are a lot of very fragile temperature sensitive things routed right next to the tires in the wheel wells.

Cheers
Andrew
"

More reading would suggest that the space shuttle uses it in the tires fro the same reason.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

hosedagain3
join:2008-02-18
Canada

hosedagain3

if the dealer puts nitrogen in the tires how do you know they put in nitrogen? how do you check? besides the air we breath is 75% nitrogen.. Go for an oil change and ask them to put in synthetic oil how would you know what oil they used? Trust?

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

I try to light it on fire. If it explodes, I start asking questions.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to hosedagain3

Premium Member

to hosedagain3
said by hosedagain3:

if the dealer puts nitrogen in the tires how do you know they put in nitrogen? how do you check?

I believe tires filled with nitrogen are usually fitted with green valve stem caps. Beyond that you'll just have to trust them.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

Premium Member

to prairiesky
as i said, there is that potential for explosion, but there is already plenty of oxygen in the aircraft as it is (if there wasn't, everyone would suffocate)...a few tires worth of air is pretty insignificant.

since you like quoted links, here:

Commercial Airlines - The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires nitrogen in all commercial aircraft tires to eliminate the potential for water vapor (inherent in normal compressed air) from freezing at high altitudes. In addition, aircraft manufacturers such as Boeing use nitrogen membranes in their On-Board Inert Gas Generation Systems (OBIGGS) to "top" fuel tanks with nitrogen - an inert gas that does not support combustion.

»www.getnitrogen.org/why/

you don't want a small puddle of water freezing into a piece of ice inside a wheel at high altitudes, as that will cause a severe tire balancing issue when it lands, which could be catastrophic...as i said, there is the potential for fire with regular air, but that isn't the main reason they use it.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
said by Styvas:

If the air you breath explodes when exposed to a flame, you've got larger problems than tire inflation.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by Ian1:

said by Styvas:

If the air you breath explodes when exposed to a flame, you've got larger problems than tire inflation.

i was about to say, good thing he isn't a smoker.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

said by Styvas:

Hence my questions.

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Money would burn that friendship to the ground real quick.
With my friends I've laid it out very simply, I can take anything, but fuck with me and money and it's over.

i had a friend of over 20yrs that did that, he's not a friend anymore. We're not talking about a 100 bucks either.

I got this very good friend that borrowed $1,500 from me because he now became a construction contractor and needed the money to complement the purchase of power tools. He told me he would pay me in 1 month when he gets his first contract done. That was in June of 2013. I have not seen a penny from him or a phone call or a visit which he used to come and visit us almost every weekend. His wife also stopped calling my wife.

My grandmother was right when she said; "Lending money to friends is buying enemies".

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope to Styvas

to Styvas
said by Styvas:

Hydrogen my friend, not Nitrogen. This is the difference.

Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00 to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

Usually you will pay full MSRP for 0%

actually not always true.. I just finished my 5 year 0% on my Mazda Mx5..

got it at 2009, when you know, the car market was in its "crashed" mode. I was actually able to save about $7000 off the full price plus get 0% 5 year term.

i also paid like 10Gs via my CC for admin/security, which i then got 1% back on.. it was a good purchase.
mr weather
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

You're fortunate to have found a dealer who would accept such a substantial amount from a credit card. The transaction fee alone would have eaten up most of the profit. They must have been desperate to make the sale.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas to Kitlope

Premium Member

to Kitlope
said by Kitlope:

said by Styvas:

I was joking about the Oxygen vs the Nitrogen. I'm aware of the difference.
Styvas

Styvas to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
I wonder if the extended warranty on credit cards would apply to a vehicle purchased on the card. I'm assuming not.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
said by Styvas:

said by Kitlope:

said by Styvas:

back in high school, for my physics project, i had two balloons...one was full of hydrogen...the other a mix of hydrogen and just regular air (about 50/50)...i then attached a match at the end of a yard stick...my project was to show the properties of hydrogen on its own vs hydrogen and oxygen together...when bringing the lit match to the hydrogen balloon, it was rather uneventful...it popped the balloon (much like a pin prick would pop a regular balloon full of air) and there was a small flame/flash visible...the oxygen/hydrogen balloon however was much different...it made a massive boom (explosion) that scared the crap out of everyone (including me a bit, even though i knew it was going to be loud)...teachers from a few rooms over came over to see what happened as they thought there was an accident in the room.

much like this, but in a regular sized classroom instead to a gym:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· imsXTkGQ
mr weather
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
said by Styvas:

I wonder if the extended warranty on credit cards would apply to a vehicle purchased on the card. I'm assuming not.

I assume not as well. But that would be awesome if it would.

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope to Styvas

to Styvas
said by Styvas:

Didn't mean to insult your intelligence. But hey, anything to post one of the best pictures of all time. And my favorite Zep album